U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2017, 05:07 PM

16,833 posts, read 14,734,019 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
While primitive camping in the Ozarks -- I woke up in my tent to the sound of purring -- loud enough to get my attention and wake me up. I didn't move or poke my head out to see what it was. I think Bobcats purr and assumed that's what it was. Do Mountain Lions purr? Maybe he was saying grace before eating?
Bobcats and cougars do purr but they are not considered "big cats". Big cats are lions, tigers, jaguars, leopards, etc. and one of the defining characteristics is that they can roar but can't purr.

That being said, they almost never just walk around purring. Sometimes they will purr if they are in pain but not just walking around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2017, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
Off topic, I know, but........

Can big cats be litter trained?

I always wondered when I saw the big cats Siegfried and Roy seemed to keep in and around their home.

Did those lions and tigers just go anywhere or did they have giant litter boxes strategically placed around the premises?
I grew up with cougars, bobcats, and snow leopards in the house they do not use litter boxes.

Old 06-18-2017, 05:54 PM

8,259 posts, read 4,402,433 times
I know cheetah's purr. There was an old one at a wild life place in Oregon who would drape herself across your lap and you could have your picture taken with her. She started to purr while she was sitting across our laps. Really vibrated!

Old 06-19-2017, 03:13 AM

15,678 posts, read 14,161,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
I grew up with cougars, bobcats, and snow leopards in the house they do not use litter boxes.

How did you deal with that? How did Siegfried and Roy deal with that?

I remember one time they had a lion on Johnny Carson. The lion sprayed the entrance curtains, after the commercial the curtains were gone......it smelled that bad! LOL That pee spot was HUGE!

Old 06-19-2017, 09:13 AM

15,155 posts, read 12,279,825 times
Lol, a six or eight pound barn Tom can flat stink up a place. I can only imagine what a 400 pound lion could do. This thread has got me to wondering what the habits of the extinct species of big cats were like. Such as Smilodon (Sabre tooted Tiger) or the European cave lions.

Old 06-19-2017, 09:34 AM

5,105 posts, read 6,476,716 times
Lots of big cats purring here:

Do big cats roar or purr - or both? - The Wildcat Sanctuary

Old 06-24-2017, 10:11 PM

8,137 posts, read 4,441,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slytrix View Post
Where abouts were you camping? That would freak me out.

I bet no more sleeping that night.
National forest trail south of Rolla between Newburg and Yancy Mills near a small creek that I think flowed into the Little Piney... don't recall the name of the place. It was "out there".

Old 06-26-2017, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
How did you deal with that? How did Siegfried and Roy deal with that?

I remember one time they had a lion on Johnny Carson. The lion sprayed the entrance curtains, after the commercial the curtains were gone......it smelled that bad! LOL That pee spot was HUGE!
With the exception of a few smaller cats who would use litter boxes, once they were no longer kittens, all the cats moved out to the compound on our property. It was a little over 3 acres with 8 enclosures around a central area with a pool and other enrichment activities that they each got time in, either in groups or alone.

While they did not use litter boxes, they are clean animals and would go in the same spot every day, thought the males would spray.

Old 06-26-2017, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpaint View Post
I know cheetah's purr. There was an old one at a wild life place in Oregon who would drape herself across your lap and you could have your picture taken with her. She started to purr while she was sitting across our laps. Really vibrated!
Cheetahs are grouped with the other Felinidae (aka small cats) vs Panterinae for just that reason.

Old 06-26-2017, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemur View Post
Uhm, their first paragraph says "Contented lions might purr if they could, but they can’t. Only the smaller cats- – not just house cats, but also bobcats, ocelots, lynxes, cougars* and others- – have what it takes to purr."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or