Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2017, 06:10 PM

15,701 posts, read 16,969,967 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
With the exception of a few smaller cats who would use litter boxes, once they were no longer kittens, all the cats moved out to the compound on our property. It was a little over 3 acres with 8 enclosures around a central area with a pool and other enrichment activities that they each got time in, either in groups or alone.

While they did not use litter boxes, they are clean animals and would go in the same spot every day, thought the males would spray.

Thanks for the response......sounds like your cats were well cared for.

It is something I have always wondered about ever since I saw a program showing big cats wandering around inside Siegfried and Roy's home......did those big cats pee all over the house or were they house trained in some way, either to go in a litter box or did they wait to go until they were outside?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2017, 02:06 AM

14 posts, read 6,726 times
Some documentary films say they do purr

plus, I love big cats~

Old 07-05-2017, 07:19 AM

106 posts, read 67,881 times
As an eighteen year old in central Indiana during the early 1970's there was a Bengal Tiger on display at a newly-opened store on Indianapolis' east side. What a gorgeous creature, present to help get people into the newly-opened business. At that time it was widely said that large cats did not purr.

The Bengal Tiger was reclined at the side of his cage, eyes closed. Had cautiously reached through the bars to gently touch his neck. His eyes flew open as he snapped his neck my direction, then quickly re-closed his eyes after he perceived no threat. Had retouched the magnificent beast nice and easy... and what do you know? He began this incredibly deep purring as my continued light stroking of his neck continued. It was obviously a powerful experience. Hard for me to believe this happened 45 years ago as it seems like only 7 or 8 years ago.

Old 07-09-2017, 11:34 PM

29,180 posts, read 22,188,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
While primitive camping in the Ozarks -- I woke up in my tent to the sound of purring -- loud enough to get my attention and wake me up. I didn't move or poke my head out to see what it was. I think Bobcats purr and assumed that's what it was. Do Mountain Lions purr? Maybe he was saying grace before eating?
Bobcats sure purr. I knew a guy who had one, and hear it purr many times. The sound was deeper and louder than the purring of a domestic cat, so I think you're probably right in your thinking that's what the cat you heard was.

I've had several close encounters with bobcats, and it's good that you didn't stick your head out of the tent and surprise it; if given the opportunity, a bobcat will take the road and won't pick a fight with a human, but if they are surprised or feel cornered they will, and they are muscular, hard fighters who can lick a big tough dog.

I would suppose the mountain lions purr, too. And probably the other large cats as well. Purring in a wild cat would probably mean they're satisfied, like when they are eating, but it wouldn't be a sign they are happy to have human company I'm sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature