U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2017, 12:00 PM

16,340 posts, read 9,620,881 times

Advertisements

No doubt we'll find out he fell in trying to take a selfie....

Not that I don't feel badly for him in general. I guess there's just no option other than to put up 12' tall electrified fences around all natural treasures to protect people...while making them ugly and utterly unphotographable by those who want to do it safely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2017, 12:15 PM

17,341 posts, read 21,553,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crd08 View Post
I have yet to travel there, but aren't there signs? and a designated boardwalk to stay on? I guess I don't understand how it happens as often as it does. He's lucky to be alive.
Of course there are.

Last year a 23 year old guy from Oregon actually disolved after going off the boardwalk as he was testing the water. Well it was 212 degrees, he slipped and that was the end of him.

Every once in awhile we hear stories of some moron who fell to their death due to sliding down a banister at a sporting event, and falling off to their death several floors below.

You those "things" you're supposed to hold onto as you walk down the stairs, not slide down.

You can't fix stupid. Stupid doesn't read signs or stay on desiginated boardwalks.

And as far as lucky to be alive, depending on how badly he is burned, death might have been better.

Old 06-15-2017, 12:30 PM

1,022 posts, read 566,898 times
Is it time for the Darwin Awards again? I thought they only came around ONCE a year.

Old 06-15-2017, 12:52 PM

2,952 posts, read 1,800,641 times
^^ they are at work every day, 24/7.

Old 06-15-2017, 02:13 PM

5,162 posts, read 3,069,207 times
I went to Yellowstone years ago & I remember that there were signs everywhere, in several languages, warning people to stay on the boardwalks.

I also remember being in the campground restroom & overhearing another camper saying that, during the night, a bear tore the door off their minivan to get at the food they had stored in it...campers are warned about food storage, too.

On the same trip, I also remember a tourist walking up to a bison as big as a car & trying to "pose" it for a photo-op. This was before selfie-taking days, I guess people probably do that now.

Darwin awards all around.

Old 06-15-2017, 03:29 PM

15,913 posts, read 12,707,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
The link in the OP depicts what I remember. Not much in the way of barriers.....it looks like a field of craters, and you walk along a boardwalk. Being out there in the dark would be risky imo.
Out West there is a different attitude than we have back East. Many places out there have no guard rails or protective railings. In some places you can look a mile down or a mile up. Heck, when we visited the Grand Canyon in 2002 there were no railings and people and children would walk right up to the edge. Our guide, we took a tour, told us that 10 to 12 people each year went over the edge. It is one mile down and people on burros, at the bottom, look like very tiny ants one mile away. The scale of the Rockies is so vast that government simply cannot protect people from being stupid - Darwin rules.

Of course, back East, we have to be protected from everything!

Old 06-15-2017, 04:41 PM

10,928 posts, read 8,996,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Out West there is a different attitude than we have back East. Many places out there have no guard rails or protective railings. In some places you can look a mile down or a mile up. Heck, when we visited the Grand Canyon in 2002 there were no railings and people and children would walk right up to the edge. Our guide, we took a tour, told us that 10 to 12 people each year went over the edge. It is one mile down and people on burros, at the bottom, look like very tiny ants one mile away. The scale of the Rockies is so vast that government simply cannot protect people from being stupid - Darwin rules.

Of course, back East, we have to be protected from everything!
Not necessarily. I was in Shenandoah National Park last summer, and encountered a "bear jam" on the Skyline Drive (which runs the length of the long, narrow mountain ridgetop park). A mama bear and two cubs were about twenty feet from the road, back in the woods. People were leaving their cars in the road and jumping out to get closer. They were not only taking photos, but were yelling at the bears (and at each other - "Hey, Mabel! Look at the BEARS!! Hey, bear, come over HERE!!") and dragging kids over for photo-ops.

I've seen the same behavior in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park.

There are signs everywhere about giving bears wide berth and remaining in cars - but people just can't resist bear selfies, evidently.

Or moose selfies, or deer selfies, or raccoon selfies...

Some people need to be in cages, not wild animals. Thankfully, the animals still roam free in the eastern parks, just as in the western ones.

Old 06-15-2017, 10:07 PM

10,753 posts, read 7,055,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
A 21-year-old man from North Carolina suffered severe burns late Tuesday when he fell into a hot spring at Yellowstone National Park in Wyoming.

Gervais Dylan Gatete from Raleigh was with seven other people when he was burned in the Lower Geyser Basin north of the Old Faithful area, a spokeswoman for the park said Wednesday in a written statement.

Yellowstone hot spring severely burns North Carolina man - CNN.com
This is a sad, but preventable, tragedy. There are signs all over the area to stay on the board walks. I have seen bison and elks that wandered into the hot springs. Not a pretty sight

Old 06-16-2017, 12:36 AM

28,631 posts, read 48,741,665 times
Here's another accident Man killed in Yellowstone hot spring allegedly trying to "hot pot"

Man killed in Yellowstone hot spring allegedly trying to "hot po - KULR8.com | Local News, Weather & Sports | Billings, MT

Old 06-16-2017, 02:05 AM

9,918 posts, read 11,596,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMetal View Post
Is it time for the Darwin Awards again? I thought they only came around ONCE a year.
It's always time for Darwin Awards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or