U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2017, 05:19 PM

8,313 posts, read 4,789,508 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarciaMarshaMarcia View Post
No one should be there after dark, in other words, after closing hours.
Yellowstone doesn't have "closing hours" but you're right that it's a bad idea to wander around too much after dark. The danger isn't the thermal features (stay on the boardwalk and you'll be fine) but the wildlife that is active then. You don't want to risk bumping into a grizzly bear!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2017, 05:43 PM

9,918 posts, read 11,596,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
Yellowstone doesn't have "closing hours" but you're right that it's a bad idea to wander around too much after dark. The danger isn't the thermal features (stay on the boardwalk and you'll be fine) but the wildlife that is active then. You don't want to risk bumping into a grizzly bear!
Bears are active at all hours. However, bears dislike noise and commotion. Groups of three or more people or a combination of dogs and people have little to fear. Make some noise and you're unlikely to see any. Unfortunately, you won't see any other wildlife either.

Bear spray is more effective than firearms.

Common sense prevents problems with thermal features. The people who are injured and killed in these seem to be the same sort as a person who travels to North Korea and then tries to steal a poster considered almost sacred. They all truly deserve their Darwin Awards.

I live in a rural area thirty miles from Yellowstone. It's as safe as any similar area without geothermal features. I've lived in bear country for over fifty years without a problem. I also know enough to say clear of a moose cow with a calf.

Old 06-16-2017, 06:32 PM

8,313 posts, read 4,789,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
Bears are active at all hours. However, bears dislike noise and commotion.
Of course. That was the point I was making to the poster I was replying to: you will never run into a bear in the major thermal areas during the day because of all the tourists visiting then, but grizzlies sometimes DO come into the major geyser basins after dark when few people are around. Walking around with a flashlight or a head lamp after dark is enough to keep a person from falling off the boardwalk and into a thermal feature, but it won't prevent a Close Encounter of the Ursine Kind. Best to be prepared for that possibility if you want to take a midnight walk to see the geysers going off in the moonlight.

I once lingered a bit too long to watch a sunset eruption of Riverside Geyser, and found myself walking the two miles back to the Old Faithful Inn after dark. I had seen no wildlife in the geyser basin on the way to Riverside, and I knew it was unlikely that any animals had moved into the geyser basin during the half-hour of twilight that had passed while I was watching the eruption, but by the time I was halfway back I learned just how loudly I could sing "100 Bottles of Beer on the Wall" I had bear spray, but it seemed like scant protection against what could be out there just beyond the beam of my flashlight. That was a fantastic walk; for the first time, I really got on a gut level what our primitive ancestors must have felt every night when the sun went down. There really are THINGS with TEETH out there in the dark which want to EAT YOU!

Old 06-16-2017, 08:07 PM

5,162 posts, read 3,069,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post

Well, of course they don't have closing hours like Disneyland, although a lot of people treat natural settings like a theme park, which is part of the problem. What I was getting at was it is not expected that a casual tourist is out there in the dark getting themselves into trouble. The exception would be backpackers in the back country, who are usually bedded down so they can break camp at first light & move on...these types are usually not people who do dumb stuff like this guy did.

Old 06-16-2017, 09:44 PM

18,436 posts, read 7,296,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Why does this keep happening?
There are signs and rails and all that business.
Darwin award candidates.

Old 06-16-2017, 09:48 PM

24,841 posts, read 31,097,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
The link in the OP depicts what I remember. Not much in the way of barriers.....it looks like a field of craters, and you walk along a boardwalk. Being out there in the dark would be risky imo.
There are signs everywhere warning you to stay on the boardwalk. There aren't physical barriers, but they should have known not to be wandering out there in the dark.

Old 06-16-2017, 09:56 PM

24,841 posts, read 31,097,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozarknation View Post
I have been at Yellowstone several times, and you can see "boiled" animals in those hot springs all the time. From deer to large animals such as horses. So, people should stay away and walk only on the designated areas. That water is extremely hot.
Kids younger than 5, should stay at the hotel !!!
That place is not for kids.
Oh BS. We took ours when they were about 3 and 5. Younger was in a stroller. Older was holding one of our hands. They stayed right with us the whole time. It was a great trip. We have taught our kids since birth how to behave in natural settings, and how to respect nature. If you have an impulsive "runner" type kid, then sure, pick somewhere else to vacation. For 99.9% of people it's not a problem.

Old 06-16-2017, 09:58 PM

878 posts, read 517,932 times
The rangers are probably extremely upset - that this man ruined the pristine chemistry of the hot spring with sweat and skin. The don't even want a penny thrown in the vents, they must have been really angry when that guy fell in and got dissolved. May have even clouded up the water.

Old 06-17-2017, 07:02 AM

5,105 posts, read 6,475,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsBellaMia View Post
I wouldn't want to be alive after doing something stupid enough to hurt me that badly.

That was last year, and they never recovered his body. He's still simmering, somewhere.
Yuck! I didn't know that.

Old 06-17-2017, 07:49 AM

7,430 posts, read 6,880,565 times
As long as young people exist they will take risks and do dumb things. It's called testosterone and lack of maturity. No point in complaining about it, nor should we turn the world into a big nanny state to protect everyone from everything. Some things are worth risking life over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or