U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2017, 05:53 AM

18,495 posts, read 7,329,678 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
There are quite a few hot springs in the park and just outside the boundaries that are unmarked. Some are locally popular hot pots.
The trouble with all the hot springs is their temperature can fluctuate a lot, and many do. One day, they may be cool enough to be safe, and the next day, they can boil a person alive. (or even just a few hours later).

So it's always risky. The folks who go hot-potting always carry thermometers, but even they aren't real good protection, as a spring can be quite cool on one end and blistering hot at the other. Sudden upwells of hot water into cooler springs can happen at any time too.

Marked or not, safe or not, anyone who's caught in a hot spring inside the park will get a ticket from the ranger. that can sure turn a good vacation sour. In all, it's not worth the risks, and since there are a lot of developed hot springs just outside Yellowstone's boundaries that are always safe to swim in, they are a much better choice.
Very interesting. A question is what makes developed hot springs that are used for swimming such as the ones you referenced and those in Banff, Alberta safe?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2017, 12:33 PM

9,928 posts, read 11,625,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Very interesting. A question is what makes developed hot springs that are used for swimming such as the ones you referenced and those in Banff, Alberta safe?
The printed word is your friend. The following are a good start.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hot_spring

https://www.amazon.com/Physical-Geol...ysical+geology

Old 06-21-2017, 09:22 PM

61,137 posts, read 58,421,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Out West there is a different attitude than we have back East. Many places out there have no guard rails or protective railings. In some places you can look a mile down or a mile up. Heck, when we visited the Grand Canyon in 2002 there were no railings and people and children would walk right up to the edge. Our guide, we took a tour, told us that 10 to 12 people each year went over the edge. It is one mile down and people on burros, at the bottom, look like very tiny ants one mile away. The scale of the Rockies is so vast that government simply cannot protect people from being stupid - Darwin rules.

Of course, back East, we have to be protected from everything!
That doesn't always work.

I live near the ocean in NJ. Where the Atlantic coast begins, there is a thin spit of land called Sandy Hook,, which has beaches mostly on the ocean side, A couple of years ago, a guy drowned on the bay side. He was standing in water holding his two-year-old son, next to a sign that said ""Danger! "No Swimming!" I guess he thought that meant STANDING in the water there was OK.

The sign was there because there's a sudden drop in depth from 3 feet to 15 feet. He took a step, and he went under. Didn't know how to swim. His wife ran into the water and managed to retrieve the baby, but the guy couldn't be saved.

You can't protect from stupidity.

Old 06-22-2017, 04:37 AM

18,495 posts, read 7,329,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post

I live near the ocean in NJ. Where the Atlantic coast begins, there is a thin spit of land called Sandy Hook,, which has beaches mostly on the ocean side, A couple of years ago, a guy drowned on the bay side. He was standing in water holding his two-year-old son, next to a sign that said ""Danger! "No Swimming!" I guess he thought that meant STANDING in the water there was OK.

The sign was there because there's a sudden drop in depth from 3 feet to 15 feet. He took a step, and he went under. Didn't know how to swim. His wife ran into the water and managed to retrieve the baby, but the guy couldn't be saved.

Another entry into the Darwin Awards.

Old 06-22-2017, 03:31 PM

23,285 posts, read 15,644,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Some use cooling pools that drain into the swimming pool. Others mix cold water into the hot water by various means, and others use pipes going through cold rivers or other water to cool the hot water down. Or an open trough leading to the pool.

It really all depends on the hot spring, how hot it is and where its located.

Personally, I wouldn't ever go hot potting, even in a spring that was known to be safe. Most of them in the park are so sulfurous that they stink to high heaven and would make anyone in one stink too. And Lord knows what's growing in that scum that's always in a hot spring.

I like swimming in naturally hot water that has gone through some filters first. But not all hot springs are bad water; the Fairmont hot springs in British Columbia is amazingly sweet and clear, even though it's also very hot.

Old 06-23-2017, 05:46 AM

8,167 posts, read 12,134,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
Have you ever been to Yellowstone? The springs are at least a hundred feet from the boardwalk.
Yes I have. You only have to get slightly off the main beaten track to find places that are a little more dangerous.

Old 06-24-2017, 12:02 AM

24,001 posts, read 17,909,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FullArmor View Post
I've wanted to visit Yellowstone for a long time, but the stories of all the disrespectful visitors makes me want to stay away. There is plenty of photographic evidence of people doing things they shouldn't there. They ignore signs and go off trail, throw things into the pools and geysers and mess with the wildlife.

I don't wish harm or death on anyone, but what is with all these entitled jerks that think rules (and safety warnings...) don't apply to them? Big dangerous animals and boiling hot water don't care much about your need to get interesting selfies. I guess the risk of being mauled, trampled or boiled is worth the "likes"...
They do that everywhere, no matter what park they go to visit. I used to give airboat tours in the Everglades, and I can't even begin to tell you just how many idiots did stupid stuff they shouldn't have been doing, disrespecting the wildlife, throwing things in the water, at the animals, etc. And it didn't matter what country they came from, every single country, the US, all over Europe, the Middle East, Asia, South America...while some had more idiots than others, they ALL had a big, fat chunk of morons representing their countries.

You should still go, however. I've been there as a kid, and I'm sure it's changed a little in how stupid people act in parks compared to when I was there, but the absolute beauty of it is totally worth it. I highly recommend going. Bring a big data card for your camera and plenty of charged back up batteries. Or, if you use your phone, at least remember to turn the phone on its side before filming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
You can break your neck falling down in your bathtub. Have to know more about whether they purposefully and willfully climbed over some railing, were drunk or ? Maybe he just tripped and fell. Some of you guys are kinda quick to blame.
We are quick to blame because we've actually been there. You do not "accidentally" fall in to a hot spring if you're following the rules of the park. It just doesn't happen. The only way you're going to fall in to a hot spring is if you're doing something against the rules. Stop being so quick to judge those who have actually been there and know this.

It's not just burns you have to watch out for, you could flat out dissolve in to nothing like this guy did:

http://www.cnn.com/2016/11/17/us/yel...rnd/index.html

Last edited by Three Wolves In Snow; 06-24-2017 at 12:14 AM..

Old 06-30-2017, 05:44 AM

15,957 posts, read 12,750,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post

This is news today: Bison rams, injures couple at Yellowstone National Park - SFGate. "Park officials say 74-year-old Theodore Schrader and 72-year-old Patsy Holmes of Heber City, Utah, were on a boardwalk when the bison approached Wednesday. The animal "butted" Patsy Holmes, who was pushed into her husband.
Schrader suffered minor injuries, and Holmes was flown to a hospital and is in stable condition."

Even being in a "safe" location is not always safe out West.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or