Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2017, 07:22 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,881,015 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
Because people are jackasses.
Especially younger folks < 25 who are with their friends.

Aggressive teenage drivers are an obvious example.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2017, 07:25 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,211,406 times
The link in the OP depicts what I remember. Not much in the way of barriers.....it looks like a field of craters, and you walk along a boardwalk. Being out there in the dark would be risky imo.

Old 06-15-2017, 08:59 AM

1,535 posts, read 1,390,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrl11 View Post
Article says it was midnight, and he worked for the hospitality company that serves the park. So probably fooling around after work with friends.
That could well be the case. There was another severe burning incident (one dead, one survived) involving a group of park employees.

Evidently, the park employees are known to "hot pot" in selected springs- probably with beer, music and bikinis. Ideally, the employees know which springs are lethal and which ones are sauna level. In the past incident, they either made a mistake about the location, or the spring had gotten hotter.

Old 06-15-2017, 09:04 AM

5,466 posts, read 3,063,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
A 21-year-old man from North Carolina suffered severe burns late Tuesday when he fell into a hot spring at Yellowstone National Park in Wyoming.

Gervais Dylan Gatete from Raleigh was with seven other people when he was burned in the Lower Geyser Basin north of the Old Faithful area, a spokeswoman for the park said Wednesday in a written statement.

Yellowstone hot spring severely burns North Carolina man - CNN.com
Hold my beer...watch this.

Been there a few times, those springs are like fryolators.
No need to get in the water, the crusty ground can give way and you're gone.

Old 06-15-2017, 09:21 AM

5,718 posts, read 7,257,461 times
A lot of people visit Yellowstone.

I'm content just knowing it's there.

Old 06-15-2017, 10:17 AM

16,711 posts, read 19,407,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
A 21-year-old man from North Carolina suffered severe burns late Tuesday when he fell into a hot spring at Yellowstone National Park in Wyoming.

Gervais Dylan Gatete from Raleigh was with seven other people when he was burned in the Lower Geyser Basin north of the Old Faithful area, a spokeswoman for the park said Wednesday in a written statement.

Yellowstone hot spring severely burns North Carolina man - CNN.com
It's pretty hard to fall into a spring out there. You have to be walking far off the boardwalk.

#DarwinWasHere

Old 06-15-2017, 10:18 AM

14,302 posts, read 11,692,440 times
That's very sad. These hot springs are no joke, and everyone needs to be very attentive around them.

A girl I coached on a gymnastics team had been severely burned up to the hips by falling or jumping into a hot spring at the age of 5 or 6. The spring was cordoned off, but she slipped away from her parents and under the barrier. By the time I knew her, her legs were a mass of scars from skin grafts, but she was not particularly embarrassed by them and just wore a leotard like everyone else. I recall that at one meet we attended, the coach of the other team complained that the sight of "Julie's" legs disturbed her girls and we ought not let her compete. We told her off pretty fast.

Old 06-15-2017, 10:20 AM

16,711 posts, read 19,407,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crd08 View Post
I have yet to travel there, but aren't there signs? and a designated boardwalk to stay on? I guess I don't understand how it happens as often as it does. He's lucky to be alive.
Stupid kids.

I've read all of the books surrounding death and injuries in our state parks and the overwhelming majority is young men, aged 14 - 28 who decide they are invincible and won't follow the posted rules that are there for our safety.

I consider it the thinning of the herd, myself.

Old 06-15-2017, 11:12 AM

7,990 posts, read 5,385,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crd08 View Post
I have yet to travel there, but aren't there signs? and a designated boardwalk to stay on? I guess I don't understand how it happens as often as it does. He's lucky to be alive.
I do not know---however I think if one sees "steam" coming off you would think that would be enough to stay away!

There will always be ones that are trying for the Darwin Awards.

Old 06-15-2017, 11:19 AM

497 posts, read 484,452 times
I've wanted to visit Yellowstone for a long time, but the stories of all the disrespectful visitors makes me want to stay away. There is plenty of photographic evidence of people doing things they shouldn't there. They ignore signs and go off trail, throw things into the pools and geysers and mess with the wildlife.

I don't wish harm or death on anyone, but what is with all these entitled jerks that think rules (and safety warnings...) don't apply to them? Big dangerous animals and boiling hot water don't care much about your need to get interesting selfies. I guess the risk of being mauled, trampled or boiled is worth the "likes"...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature