U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2017, 06:31 AM

18,534 posts, read 22,361,881 times

Advertisements

I was in Colorado last week, and a couple times I was driving downhill from a pass, and looking over to my right, I could have sworn to God, on my descent, the river was flowing uphill. Optical illusion?

Another time I was in Idaho, along the Snake River, and again, as I was descending, I could have sworn the river was going uphill, even cascading over rocks.

I always thought water always gravitates to the lowest spots, and eventually, the ocean.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2017, 06:36 AM

2,201 posts, read 2,333,179 times
Just Googled it for you:

https://www.livescience.com/58416-ca...ow-uphill.html

Quote:
Earth's gravity is strong, but can water ever naturally go against it and flow uphill?

The answer is yes, if the parameters are right. For instance, a wave on a beach can flow uphill, even if it's for just a moment. Water in a siphon can flow uphill too, as can a puddle of water if it's moving up a dry paper towel dipped in it.

Even more curiously, Antarctica has a river that flows uphill underneath one of its ice sheets. So, how does science explain these upward watery movements?
It's unlikely that you saw water flowing uphill.

Old 06-27-2017, 06:53 AM

1,411 posts, read 736,098 times
They can flow uphill because of a storm surge, but I think this can happen only close to where the ocean or a major lake meets the river.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0829192423.htm

Old 06-27-2017, 08:58 AM

2,322 posts, read 1,881,225 times
there is about a one mile stretch of stream following a road in southern tennessee that i like to drive because the stream flows northward before turning around and heading back south .. kind of neat to see ...it`s not flowing backwards per say but it is flowing in the wrong direction ..

Old 06-27-2017, 02:10 PM

12,769 posts, read 32,849,985 times
A stream on a farm near me does the same thing!

Old 06-27-2017, 04:27 PM

3,530 posts, read 1,372,946 times
Imagine a roller coaster car on the peak of a high point on the track with the track heading generally down, but with a series of progressively lower peaks along the way. Given a nudge, the car starts rolling down, but at times needs to climb again to get over the next low peak. It needs no other motive force than gravity to accomplish this. {For those who remember hi school physics, it's a mater of Tot E = PE + KE.}

Water flowing down a hill could do the same thing, theoretically. Instead of being a discrete "car," it's a continuous flow of discrete molecules.

Given the relentless nature of both gravity and erosive forces of water, and the limitless amount of time involved, I should think that any natural stream of water would have long ago burrowed thru any impeding high ground in the stream and eliminated it or found a lower, easier outlet to follow.

Old 06-27-2017, 05:15 PM

12,025 posts, read 17,055,586 times
There are several gravitational anomalies around the world where things do not behave the way they should. Cars roll uphill, for example. people stand at angle without falling down. there is famous place in Oregon that does that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NPKrX-mXaY

So who knows about what you observed. If a car can roll uphill, why can't water?

Old 06-27-2017, 05:41 PM

16,833 posts, read 14,718,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
There are several gravitational anomalies around the world where things do not behave the way they should. Cars roll uphill, for example. people stand at angle without falling down. there is famous place in Oregon that does that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NPKrX-mXaY

So who knows about what you observed. If a car can roll uphill, why can't water?
The gravity hill phenomenon is an illusion due to the center of gravity between the tires and the slope along the sides of the road. It can be seen in this demo of a cone rolling uphil in the video below, but is not due to a gravitational anomaly. This is easily shown by the fact that only cars roll up the hills and not a ball.

https://youtu.be/iTNsuP2aakk

Old 06-28-2017, 07:30 PM

2,198 posts, read 2,767,252 times
The New River flows south to north, I think that's the only river in the world but
water will never flow uphill.

Old 06-28-2017, 10:19 PM

7,576 posts, read 4,225,338 times
Let me guess. Coming down Ute Pass? There's a section there where the slope of the road and land forms do indeed leave the impression that water is flowing up hill. Just an optical illusion, but really fascinating to see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature