Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2017, 01:25 AM

10,048 posts, read 18,072,703 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Eagles snatching cats is far from a common occurrence. But nature is nature; any predator will go after unwary game.

A cat is no different from an eagle in this regard. That kitty could have just as easily preyed on the eaglets as become lunch for them.

Don't feel sorry for the cat, nor hate the bird. The cat hung around with humans because it was in its own advantage to do so. Cats and birds can both feel affection for the humans who take care of them, but neither needs that affection to survive; both are quite capable of survival on nature's terms, not ours.
I understand nature, and I wouldn't have had the same response if it had been a feral animal eating another feral animal, but this was someone's PET, and I DO feel horrible for the cat (not so much for its idiot human, who should have known better!!). What I don't understand is people who live in areas where there are known predators (hawks, eagles, coyotes) who STILL let their cats go outside ... then are somehow shocked when the kitty disappears.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2017, 04:45 AM

3,782 posts, read 4,249,635 times
Small dogs also make nice meals.

Old 07-10-2017, 07:44 AM

4,314 posts, read 3,997,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f5fstop View Post
Small dogs also make nice meals.

so do little piglets

A farm neighbor commented on how nice it was to see a bald eagle in a tree near his farm building.

However, a sow was outside with her 10 little piglets and everyday there were less piglets.

Old 07-10-2017, 09:38 AM

3,782 posts, read 4,249,635 times
Bacon....YES!

Old 07-10-2017, 12:09 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,720,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
But how will a fence keep a hawk or eagle away? They could be scooped up as you watch, since you don't let them out of your sight. And you would be heartbroken.

OP, that was a horrible story, and I'm appalled at the at the end. Pretty sick.
So was I....very inappropriate.

Old 07-14-2017, 07:31 AM

50,288 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Our cats are too big and fat to be cargo We did lose one to a yote many years back.

Old 07-14-2017, 07:55 AM

10,093 posts, read 6,433,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
But how will a fence keep a hawk or eagle away? They could be scooped up as you watch, since you don't let them out of your sight. And you would be heartbroken.

OP, that was a horrible story, and I'm appalled at the at the end. Pretty sick.
As I said, I don't let the cats out of my sight. If a hawk or another bird of prey flies onto the fence or into the surrounding shrubs, I scare them away by banging on the back door and going outside. I don't expect the fence to deter the birds; however, it does deter the cats from going in the bigger yard for the short amount of time that they're out there. Usually my big cat will start crying to come in within 5 minutes, and the smaller one (who goes out infrequently) immediately goes under the back steps anyway, where it's safe.

Old 08-23-2017, 11:26 AM

3,881 posts, read 4,127,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
I wished some of the feral cats near me would get carried away.
Ha.. I hear ya.

Old 08-23-2017, 12:23 PM

16,709 posts, read 19,412,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Griz View Post
Ok, mother nature can be cruel, however, look at it this way:.......How many more of our wonderful wild Gamble Quail chicks will grow up to adulthood and help keep the grasshopper numbers in check in late August........plus the young baby Eaglets will have some nourishing high protein meat for several meals.
That's what happens when you have an "outdoor cat". Hope he learned a lesson.

Old 08-26-2017, 12:59 PM

11,122 posts, read 5,590,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Griz View Post
A new neighbor that moved here (from NY) about 3/4 mile from my place, just found out that house cats don't last very long when left outside unaccompanied by a human.
He said he let the cat out the front door about half hour after sun up and went back out about 30 minutes later to let the cat back in the house.

Here is what he saw in the front yard about 5 feet from a ornamental Bird Bath that is 34 inches in height.........

A Golden Eagle as tall as the Bird Bath, with his cat in the eagle's talons and at that moment, taking off .....for never to be seen again.

Ok, mother nature can be cruel, however, look at it this way:.......How many more of our wonderful wild Gamble Quail chicks will grow up to adulthood and help keep the grasshopper numbers in check in late August........plus the young baby Eaglets will have some nourishing high protein meat for several meals.
The unfortunate pet was probably a housecat and knew nothing of survival outdoors. My tough cats would never let a predator get near them. They have to dodge great horned owls all the time and dive for cover, whenever one comes slipping into a nearby tree. They stay hidden for hours, when that happens. When they are up on the roof, I know that a coyote has been around.

Once, I heard loud yelps of pain from the yard. My big tomcat was standing there, his fur all on end. A coyote had torn a 3-inch patch of skin and fur from his back, but he'd sunk his teeth and claws into the coyote's face and changed its mind about making a meal of him. My cat learned from that experience and made sure he wasn't caught in that position again. His skin closed-in around the wound, like a drawstring pulling tight and within two weeks, the hole was gone. That's necessary for an animal with fur, as if new skin grew across the wound, it wouldn't have hair on it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature