Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2017, 08:40 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,308 posts, read 4,120,376 times

Advertisements

A new neighbor that moved here (from NY) about 3/4 mile from my place, just found out that house cats don't last very long when left outside unaccompanied by a human.
He said he let the cat out the front door about half hour after sun up and went back out about 30 minutes later to let the cat back in the house.

Here is what he saw in the front yard about 5 feet from a ornamental Bird Bath that is 34 inches in height.........

A Golden Eagle as tall as the Bird Bath, with his cat in the eagle's talons and at that moment, taking off .....for never to be seen again.

Ok, mother nature can be cruel, however, look at it this way:.......How many more of our wonderful wild Gamble Quail chicks will grow up to adulthood and help keep the grasshopper numbers in check in late August........plus the young baby Eaglets will have some nourishing high protein meat for several meals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2017, 09:07 AM

7,378 posts, read 12,659,218 times
Hi Griz, that's an awful story! Poor neighbor. But I'll bet he learned not to let a cat out unsupervised, or at all. We have a pair of Goldens making their daily rounds over our property in North Idaho. They are spectacular! But we have a small dog now that we've adopted, a little stray Chihuahua mix, and we worry about him and the Goldens. Our bigger dog can fend for herself, but not our Little Guy. I've seen online that they make a raptor-proof coat for small dogs. Maybe it's worth the price! We never leave him outside by himself, but things can happen in a split second.

And it's not just the Goldens. Friends of ours had a cat taken from their front yard by a Great Horned Owl. A very sweet cat, too. It got out at night by mistake.

Old 07-02-2017, 05:46 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,336,832 times
In New York it would have been taken by a hawk, coyote or a bobcat.

Outside cats don't last long back there either except maybe in the inner ring suburbs.

Old 07-03-2017, 03:47 AM

7,238 posts, read 5,114,062 times
There is no "good" nor "evil" in Nature--- only "survival."

The pioneers planted four kernels of corn in each hill: one for the bird; one for the worm; one for the rust and one for me.

Old 07-03-2017, 10:43 AM

4,787 posts, read 11,754,293 times
IMO you would have to be nuts to let a cat roam free. I live in suburbia in south east CT.

We have bald eagles wintering here, we're on a migratory flyway- hawks by the tons. Bobcats, bears around, coy-wolves over running us. I have a pair of great horned owls hooting happily out the back yard.

If you want your cats out,a strongly fenced catio is a must. I think this is true most anywhere in the country. Maybe semi-feral barn cats who have a huge dairy- horse barn to hide out in, may have a slightly longer life.

Old 07-03-2017, 10:53 AM

10,089 posts, read 6,420,662 times
I have 2 cats I let out into the small fenced portion of my backyard (right outside the kitchen where I can watch them)' however, I never let them out of my sight. We have Cooper's hawks, bald eagles, and Red-tailed hawks that are already attracted by my bird feeders - they don't need to get a kitty snack as well!

Old 07-04-2017, 09:52 PM

3,647 posts, read 3,781,694 times
When I ranched only six miles from a town (way too close!), the people there would occasionally dump litters of kittens on the place where I worked. My kids got attached to each and every one.

I taught them from the start that "outdoor cats live short, exciting lives."

Old 07-09-2017, 07:37 PM

4,314 posts, read 3,992,995 times
I wished some of the feral cats near me would get carried away.

Old 07-09-2017, 10:52 PM

10,049 posts, read 18,056,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
I have 2 cats I let out into the small fenced portion of my backyard (right outside the kitchen where I can watch them)' however, I never let them out of my sight. We have Cooper's hawks, bald eagles, and Red-tailed hawks that are already attracted by my bird feeders - they don't need to get a kitty snack as well!
But how will a fence keep a hawk or eagle away? They could be scooped up as you watch, since you don't let them out of your sight. And you would be heartbroken.

OP, that was a horrible story, and I'm appalled at the at the end. Pretty sick.

Old 07-09-2017, 11:27 PM

29,212 posts, read 22,344,773 times
Eagles snatching cats is far from a common occurrence. But nature is nature; any predator will go after unwary game.

A cat is no different from an eagle in this regard. That kitty could have just as easily preyed on the eaglets as become lunch for them.

Don't feel sorry for the cat, nor hate the bird. The cat hung around with humans because it was in its own advantage to do so. Cats and birds can both feel affection for the humans who take care of them, but neither needs that affection to survive; both are quite capable of survival on nature's terms, not ours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature