U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2017, 04:43 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,309 posts, read 3,476,821 times

Advertisements

I have a front door porch area (approx 12' in width x 9' narrowing down to 6 feet in depth) that is about 15 inches in height, no railing, and has 6 small decorative bushes that I planted about 3 feet apart many years ago (along the side that parallels the house front wall). I keep them trimmed to about 30 inches high and 24 inches dia.
This area faces north and goes into shade after about 9am this time of year.
In between each bush I planted (many years ago) some kind of "ground-cover" that is very lush, about 2 to 3 inches in thickness and has become the favored "bedding-down place" for a 3 yr old fork horn WT BUCK (born within 100 yds) that has no fear of me when I come out the front door. This has been going on everyday for about one month. He is in full velvet and is beautiful.....and has one brother (he is a twin) and two other bucks that frequent the area around my house, but don't bed down right up close to the house.
When I come out the door he is about 7 to 8 feet away,. he stands up in his "bed", looks me straight in the eye, waits till I go down the two steps to the walk to the driveway.......then lays back down. (NOTE: I have never fed the deer, I don't believe in feeding any wild animals )!!!!!, so he has not had any type of human contact or reason to be so trusting:confused.
Another point of fact, that sets him apart from his twin brother and his two buddies..........if I 'm out with my dog 50 to 100 yards from the dog-run letting him exercise and this BUCK comes into view,.....he will come trotting up toward the dog (up to maybe 15 feet from the dog), and show no aggression, but will indicate he'd like to be friendly with the dog........(Note: I never let my dog loose and run free by him self......i'm always out with him AND always have the electronic collar on him .!

Nature is great......always something new!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2017, 01:15 PM

2,274 posts, read 1,065,397 times
Maybe he was a fawn that was rehabilitated so not too afraid.

Old 07-20-2017, 03:57 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,309 posts, read 3,476,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzie1213 View Post
Maybe he was a fawn that was rehabilitated so not too afraid.
In this particular situation I don't believe that is possible.
He is a twin, he and his twin brother were born on my 14 acres, and I see them every day or two throughout the year.
There are approx a total or 20 or more deer that live within 500 yards of my house. The Elk come through and stop and graze basically in October, May and June.

There are no immediate neighbor's, so there is no chance for him to be habituated to humans.
I do not feed any of the wildlife or birds on my place.
My dog is never allowed to run free without me out with him AND I always put the electric collar on him in case I have to stop him (if the whistle doesn't do it) from possible chasing a deer, or turkey, or elk, or other possible wild creatures.
Having been on this property for almost 40 years, I think the local deer, elk, turkeys, quail etc know that they are safe.......and have access to water (the 40 foot wide stream), lots of natural cover, plenty of natural food, and no dogs to bother them.
Kind of a perfect situation for me and the wildlife..........one of the advantages living 14 miles from town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature