U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2017, 08:12 PM

4,033 posts, read 8,882,039 times

Advertisements

My dog and I regularly play on the lawn together, with his stuffed Lambchop toy (which is about 12" long), so I often just leave it out there after we are done playing in the evenings.

One morning a couple of weeks ago, I noticed that it was gone; it just vanished sometime during the night, and I haven't seen a trace of it since.

I live in central Mass and we have a lot of wildlife around, such as foxes, deer, crows, coyotes, hawks. I have a very hard time believing that a wild animal took it but I know that it wasn't a person or another dog, (I've asked around), so I really don't know what else to think.

Anyone else ever experience a wild animal stealing a toy or some other non-food item?
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2017, 09:47 PM

564 posts, read 226,568 times
You're not the onlyone thats seen this or experienced it, in my case it was a wild animal that took the toy for their "own use." Not sure why wild animals are interested in dog and cat toys, but they are animals too, and get fasinated with all kinds of objects so what would make a pets toys any different? your not crazy

Old 07-24-2017, 10:57 PM

114,553 posts, read 55,969,414 times
My dog eats all his dog toys including the giant knotted, braided ropes and huge rubber bones and even a hard plastic bone. He's a Catahoula Leopard and he's nuts.

Old 07-24-2017, 11:03 PM

40,399 posts, read 49,972,276 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHeVJQPoy_w

Old 07-24-2017, 11:08 PM

14,523 posts, read 7,766,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SATX56 View Post
My dog eats all his dog toys including the giant knotted, braided ropes and huge rubber bones and even a hard plastic bone. He's a Catahoula Leopard and he's nuts.
Yikes! How is he even still alive? You're joking, right?

Old 07-25-2017, 08:01 AM

4,033 posts, read 8,882,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
I love this video, thanks for posting it!

We have five foxes living in the woods behind the house. It was most definitely them...

Old 07-25-2017, 07:41 PM

8,667 posts, read 7,422,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post
My dog and I regularly play on the lawn together, with his stuffed Lambchop toy (which is about 12" long), so I often just leave it out there after we are done playing in the evenings.

One morning a couple of weeks ago, I noticed that it was gone; it just vanished sometime during the night, and I haven't seen a trace of it since.

I live in central Mass and we have a lot of wildlife around, such as foxes, deer, crows, coyotes, hawks. I have a very hard time believing that a wild animal took it but I know that it wasn't a person or another dog, (I've asked around), so I really don't know what else to think.

Anyone else ever experience a wild animal stealing a toy or some other non-food item?
Yes. I've had non-food items stolen by ravens, crows, hawks, eagles, turkeys, geese, blue jays, bears, cougars, bobcats, pack rats, otters, minks, weasels, possums, beavers, foxes, coyotes, skunks, squirrels, domestic cats, other people's dogs, and of course other people. Sometimes packrats will replace the stolen item with something else from their own personal collection, they are well known throughout North American logging camps for often replacing stolen items with different items that they stole from somewhere or someone else. Funny little fellows, eh?

People (and their children) have been the worst offenders for stealing things for themselves or for their own dogs or for allowing their dogs to take things. I don't expect human thieves to own up and tell the truth about it if I ask around. Humans don't admit to being thieves or encouraging thievery in their own children or pets unless they're caught red handed.

Nearly all animals are curious about unfamiliar things and will investigate them if they can. If something about it smells or looks really interesting to them, even if they can't eat it they will still pick it up or drag it and walk off with it. I once viewed a home video someone local here took of a cougar walking off into the woods dragging a 25 foot length of garden hose from that person's back yard.

Last edited by Zoisite; 07-25-2017 at 07:49 PM..

Old 07-25-2017, 08:53 PM

5,610 posts, read 3,054,633 times
When I had all the raccoons in the yard, the kits would play with the hose sprayer (not attached to the hose) like it was a dog toy. I have video of them pouncing on it and carrying it around in their mouths.

One day the sprayer was missing and I finally found it in front of the drain pipe the raccoons called home. Had they pulled it in any further, I wouldn't have gotten it back.

Old 07-26-2017, 05:49 AM

15,918 posts, read 12,714,814 times
I put out rubber snakes to repel birds from our blueberries and hawks ate the heads off the snakes! I put out an plastic owl to chase the crows from our apple trees and the crows plucked out the eyes. Most animals have a curiosity. At first they are timid about anything new in their environment. Then they have to check it out as they become more accustomed to it. But, sometimes like with our rubber snake and plastic owl; we trigger their natural instinct to attack or eat.

Besides the possibility that a fox or raccoon could have taken the dog toy; there is the possibility that a bird of prey could have mistaken it for a meal.

Old 07-26-2017, 08:44 AM

4,287 posts, read 3,040,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SATX56 View Post
Please tell me this is a joke. What you describe can kill him. Especially the rope toys. If this isn't a joke, please stop letting him have the rope toys. If he's eating a nylabone, that should be fine since they're designed to be consumed.

To the OP, it's not uncommon for wild animals to want stuffed dog toys.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or