U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2017, 09:29 PM

28,617 posts, read 48,725,290 times

Advertisements

I had a yellow butterfly land on my friend's yellow tee-shirt and wouldn't fly away for the longest time. Just wondering if butterfly's can see color's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2017, 09:41 PM

4,702 posts, read 2,532,273 times
I think they can...and they love yellow. They congregate on my lantana. I think they also love purple.

https://www.colormatters.com/color-m...mals-see-color

Old 08-08-2017, 03:14 PM

9,585 posts, read 4,254,434 times
I would have to research more, but would think they have color vision. They would need to locate their nectar sources, and plants that rely on pollinators have developed brightly attractive color to do so (as well as shape, odor, and pheromones of course). There are parts of the visible color spectrum humans can't detect that pollinator insects can too. There are species that only visit specific plant species so that would also argue for color vision.

Old 08-08-2017, 04:34 PM

12,446 posts, read 11,555,568 times
Butterflies can't see red, but they can see in the ultraviolet range. They have compound eyes, so they can't focus on an object.

Old 08-08-2017, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
Butterflies can't see red, but they can see in the ultraviolet range. They have compound eyes, so they can't focus on an object.
Red? That's interesting...so many flowers are red, but could be ultraviolet making up the red color we can see. Well, there are many other pollinators out there.

Old 08-08-2017, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllisonHB View Post
Red? That's interesting...so many flowers are red, but could be ultraviolet making up the red color we can see. Well, there are many other pollinators out there.
Apparently, different species of butterflies can sense different ranges of colors (including red). Some species are red-green color blind and others aren't. So, I guess the correct answer depends on which species we are talking about.

Old 08-09-2017, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
So, I guess the correct answer depends on which species we are talking about.
Isn't that always the question? Thanks for the info!

Old 08-10-2017, 04:32 AM

248 posts, read 133,531 times
I truly do enjoy all of the interesting questions. Also realize many do enjoy answering with the help of modern technology and wonder why there are even these type of forums as anyone can look things up.

Much like hummingbirds are more attracted to red so people start adding red food coloring thinking this is the way to have more-by now most know that the red dyes are damaging to the liver of a hummingbird.

As different butterflies are attracted to different colors and species of plants... Want more butterflies do research on which plants different species lay their eggs on and also which butterflies are indigenous to your area.

GMO's are harmful to our pollinators. I have a small area and I do not use chemicals and after 5 years the pollinators are returning.

Mayhap ought to have started a new thread. Apologies for veering off topic. Composter once again dismounting soapbox.

I do find this nature thing interesting.

Old 08-11-2017, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by composter View Post
...Also realize many do enjoy answering with the help of modern technology and wonder why there are even these type of forums as anyone can look things up...
I answered, as it relates to my college studies, and I never answer a question on a subject I don't understand. Simply "looking things up" may yield an answer, but it doesn't guarantee an understanding. In human terms, a butterfly is actually blind, as it cannot focus on an object. However, the photoreceptors within the butterflies eyes allow for specialized color sensitivity, even into the UV range. This color sensitivity differs among butterfly species; some species are truly red-green color blind, while others rely on the ability to sense red.

Old 08-11-2017, 08:57 PM

479 posts, read 408,914 times
The best way to have butterflies around is having host plants for baby caterpillar. Here I use passionflower and aristolochia. Also citrus trees. I've encountered new butterflies landing on me with moist wings, they aren't ready for flight long term yet. They find a bright tall perch which looks stable in the sun to dry the wings.

So a butterfly with moist wings is at the mercy of whatever post they can find until the mechanics are operational. These are very delicate, the flight apparatus. Like a sailor on the sea in a sail boat says "any port in a storm"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or