U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2017, 12:13 AM

541 posts, read 515,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bygeorge View Post
Too bad the elephant does not have a den to hang his/her kill on the wall.
Best post I've read in months !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2017, 11:26 AM

55,014 posts, read 43,847,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnoliaThunder View Post
I have long fantasized about taking a trophy hunter for a "tour" of a home that, for my purposes of shock (LOL) includes a room full of human heads lining the walls. :O
There were a number of early hunters (and explorers) that wound up with their heads on a wall or in a cook-pot.

Old 08-16-2017, 11:37 AM

1,701 posts, read 878,166 times
Good, one less phallically deficient disgusting coward on the planet.

Old 08-17-2017, 10:06 PM

393 posts, read 311,784 times
Way to go Elephants. Let's hope than can score more victories in the future.

Old 08-18-2017, 09:03 AM

248 posts, read 133,588 times
Good Elephant!!!

Old 08-18-2017, 10:20 AM

21,908 posts, read 23,076,490 times
tee-hee-hee

Old 08-23-2017, 08:18 AM

4,725 posts, read 1,878,347 times
That's why I say that humans are the #1 most invasive species and the fact that they require a gun to kill animals that don't have those means is all the proof necessary that we've never been at the "top of the food chain."

Old 08-23-2017, 10:07 AM

15,140 posts, read 12,267,061 times
Just to clarify a couple things. I don't and never have trophy hunted, but there are viable reasons for it. The case in point here was on a private reserve, but outside of such places hunts are conducted to cull out problem animals. Rouges in the case of elephants, that have a habit of being very dangerous and destructive. So these countries figure some rich bwana can pay them for the privilege of a hunt or they have to pay for their own people to do it. Fiscally it makes sense.

I don't know about Argentina, but an American hunter won't be bringing any trophies home from an elephant hunt. Especially ivory. About the only trophy from an elephant or rhino hunt that will get through customs here is a picture. There is an internationally enforced ban on ivory, but many countries, especially China and other Asian countries don't enforce it. Russia doesn't either. They're a bunch if indiscriminate killers that way same as many Asian nations. If money can be made of it or it fills some role in making magic potions Asian countries will kill it or buy the products thereof .I guess I'm the odd man out here because I've no issue with hunting.

There is as I said even a viable reason for trophy hunts. Certain animals are going to die one way or another so some African nation can either profit from it or bear costs themselves. The Tsavo region has a high incidence of maneater lions and many are killed each year for this. Leapords have a bad habit of putting human on the menu as well and tigers in India have been known for that to. Elephants turn deadly pretty regularly and will also just flat destroy crops and even villages when gone rouge killing people in the process. Never actually heard tell of rhinos or cape buffalo doing this but I suppose it's happened.

Hunters, even trophy types, deserve far less contempt than poachers folks. Poachers are the scum of the earth, and most African nations shoot them on sight. Want something to cheer? Cheer when you hear of a bunch of poachers getting shot to doll rags. I wish we could do that here in the US. Been in situations where I was sorely tempted. Hunters aren't out to slaughter wholesale complete herds of animals or seriously endangered animals. Poachers are. It's a truly disgusting and contemptible practice as are the humans that do it.

They kill by the most slow and painful methods such as wire snares and pungie pits, and will hose down entire herds with low powered rifles like AK 47s wounding far more than they kill outright. Just for certain, select parts, the rest gets left for the buzzards and hyenas. Save the hate for these creeps. Hunters aren't the problem, regardless of any fuzzy feelings for animals. And I myself tend to have more feeling for animals than I do humans. And I've been a hunter all my life till just recently.

Old 08-27-2017, 05:07 PM

10,273 posts, read 3,539,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
''An Argentinian man in Namibia was trampled and killed by an elephant Saturday, according to the Namibia Press Agency Monday. Jose Monzalvez, 46, was hunting in a group Saturday afternoon when he was trampled by an elephant in a private wildlife area 70 kilometers (43 miles) from the town of Kalkfeld.''

'' “I do think that elephants are becoming more aggressive towards humans in very compressed areas where they are being shot at and harassed,” Caitlin O’Connell-Rodwell, a biologist at Stanford University, said to National Geographic in a June 2005 phone interview.''

Argentinian Hunter Trampled And Killed By Elephant In Namibia

Well, he wanted to kill an elephant, but the elephant got him first. Good for the elephant. I have no sympathy for trophy hunters.

Who says all the news is bad?

Old 08-27-2017, 06:37 PM

7,280 posts, read 4,996,962 times
Excellent news.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature