Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2017, 02:00 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,526,811 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by carcrazy67 View Post
In my opinion, there is no viable reason to hunt elephants just for a trophy.
I would agree with that, even though I grew up reading Ruark and Hemingway and others about the hunts in Africa. Often they were feeding the people in the safari and the surrounding area, as well as taking trophies.
The worst were the Europeans who came to America to slaughter animals, especially bison, from the trains, and did not even stop to pick up the meat or hides.
The controlled African hunts on private land are a resource for the people of the area in terms of providing jobs and income so THEY don't shoot the animals. Some of the profit goes toward the national effort to conserve animals there.
The saddest is the Chinese and Muslims who believe exotic animal parts give them sexual prowess or long life, big status, or just look nice. This is what will destroy the big game animals, not the occasional legal hunter.
Part of the issue is there is not room enough in Africa for natives and wildlife. Elephants, lions, hippos, and buffalo are serious hazards to the farmers and some control is needed, sometimes, I guess
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2017, 02:03 PM

78,414 posts, read 60,593,823 times
As noted in one travel excerpt I read in a book about a safari that took place in the 1920's-30's.

One hunter was gored to death by an elephant and his cause of death was dryly noted as "150lbs of ivory".

Old 08-15-2017, 03:31 PM

15,218 posts, read 10,315,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
I would agree with that. Hunting for food in order to survive is one thing. But hunting just to kill and collect a trophy is something entirely different, and I have no respect for those who do it.

Me either.

Old 08-15-2017, 03:35 PM

11,054 posts, read 6,645,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
I would agree with that, even though I grew up reading Ruark and Hemingway and others about the hunts in Africa. Often they were feeding the people in the safari and the surrounding area, as well as taking trophies.
The worst were the Europeans who came to America to slaughter animals, especially bison, from the trains, and did not even stop to pick up the meat or hides.
The controlled African hunts on private land are a resource for the people of the area in terms of providing jobs and income so THEY don't shoot the animals. Some of the profit goes toward the national effort to conserve animals there.
The saddest is the Chinese and Muslims who believe exotic animal parts give them sexual prowess or long life, big status, or just look nice. This is what will destroy the big game animals, not the occasional legal hunter.
Part of the issue is there is not room enough in Africa for natives and wildlife. Elephants, lions, hippos, and buffalo are serious hazards to the farmers and some control is needed, sometimes, I guess

Excellent post, right on. The exotic animal body parts thing is beyond disgusting. Those people must be the height of insecurity combined with ignorance, to believe this stuff, and destroy these wonderful, endangered animals in the process. I will never travel to their countries....

Yes, the bison killers were utterly atrocious too, and that is one of the many shameful acts of U.S. history.

And yes, competition for land in Africa is behind all this.

Old 08-15-2017, 05:52 PM

2,130 posts, read 1,458,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post

Yes, the bison killers were utterly atrocious too, and that is one of the many shameful acts of U.S. history.

I think trophy hunting is unnecessary. Has the U.S.A. done anything good in your eyes?

Old 08-15-2017, 07:38 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,862,705 times
I don't care if someone hunts because they want to trophy hunt, so long they do so in an ecologically responsible way...AND if they're hunting something that can and will be eaten by someone who needs it, even if it's not their hunting party. Up here it's pretty common for out-of-state hunters to donate some or all of their harvests to soup kitchens, community feeds, the like. We have "wanton waste" laws, which I do think should be universal. Basically, I don't care about motivation, as long as the result is not wasteful or harmful.

Old 08-15-2017, 07:54 PM

757 posts, read 838,324 times
Too bad the elephant does not have a den to hang his/her kill on the wall.

Old 08-15-2017, 09:07 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,526,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bygeorge View Post
Pretty sure I've seen that cartoon in Playboy. Lion with hunter's head in a wall mount.

Old 08-15-2017, 09:31 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,842,883 times
Glad to see so many of you feel the same way I do about the senseless killing of animals just for sport. That elephant should be given a medal. Always nice to see something like this happening to someone who had no agenda but to kill a defenseless animal.

Elephant 1........human 0 !

Old 08-15-2017, 10:08 PM

2,320 posts, read 2,558,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bygeorge View Post
I have long fantasized about taking a trophy hunter for a "tour" of a home that, for my purposes of shock (LOL) includes a room full of human heads lining the walls. :O
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature