U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 08-29-2017, 06:36 PM
 
Location: Fairfax County, VA
1,387 posts, read 752,759 times
Reputation: 2743

Advertisements

It was probably a juvenile.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-30-2017, 09:12 AM
 
Location: Florida
6,175 posts, read 4,040,835 times
Reputation: 11438
I live in an underdeveloped neighborhood in a city, not far from the interstate and main roads, but also not far from the country. We see bobcats frequently, but they keep their distance. We currently have a mama bobcat with her two babies who wander around the wooded lots and in between the houses. She's never gotten close, though if she's around, I make sure the dog is in the house... he's large and obnoxious, so I don't think she'd mess with him, but I am concerned that if one of the kittens approached, she'd get quite ornery!

We had a coyote in the yard once and I know there are a bunch in the area. That scared me and for several days, I carried a plastic bottled with some pennies in it to scare it away if I saw it again. So far, I haven't. That was maybe a month ago. If I take the dog out after dark, we stay near the house where the front lights shine (no streetlights near my house).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-30-2017, 09:58 AM
 
Location: NW Nevada
15,156 posts, read 12,284,608 times
Reputation: 13996
Very early this morning (0100 AM) I was qquite surprised to hear a number (probably 3 or so ) yotes singing just up the street from my place. Smack dab in town. Two or three yotes can sound like dozens. Still, this quite surprised me. All that's up that way is apartments and a rehab hospice. Oh, and of course the college campus.


But they must have found something of interest to sing thus. They only do that when there's a reason to do so. Perhaps a loose pet or some such had their attention. First time I've heard a hunting song here in town. mmmmm. Brings back memories of my real home out in the scrub. There, hearing song that close is reason to grab a light and a shotgun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-30-2017, 10:25 AM
 
Location: Wyoming
9,710 posts, read 18,083,340 times
Reputation: 14604
I used to walk 10 miles every night, just a big loop around town. One night, as I was taking a little shortcut through an unimproved section, I noticed a skunk right at my feet. Because I have no sense of smell, I didn't know if I'd been sprayed or not. When I got home around 10:30 I had to wake my wife to ask if she smelled a skunk. Nope. I was lucky that night.

I often came across large herds of deer during my evening walks, sometimes 20-30 head that ignored me until I got right in their midst. Then they'd all take off on the run.

When I lived in Anchorage our house was at the end of a street, bordering timberland owned by Elmendorf AFB. We often had moose in our backyard.

I also used to do a lot of hiking in the wild. My biggest surprise ever was when a friend and I met an adult brown bear approaching us on the trail in Katmai NP. This was in thick woods, and the best we could do was step off the trail about 2 feet. We started talking to the bear as soon as we saw it, backed off the trail just enough to let it go by and it did. It had its mind on salmon that day. A few hours later we talked with a photographer with National Geographic. He'd had his camera set up just off the bank at the falls when a brownie came charging out of the woods and knocked him and his gear for a loop. Bear never slowed down, just jumped in the water and started fishing.

Here's a shot of my foot next to the track of that friendly fisherman. I'd guess he's about a size 13EEEEE.


Last edited by WyoNewk; 08-30-2017 at 10:36 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-30-2017, 10:56 AM
 
Location: NW Nevada
15,156 posts, read 12,284,608 times
Reputation: 13996
LOL, , well, if you had been hit by a skunk you would have know sense of smell or no. Your eyes would burn, your nose would run from sinus inflammation. you would taste it...there are other effects beside the stench. And your wife would have known as soon as you hit the door. The smell would have gone through the whole house in seconds. It's a very strong defense mechanism, with lots of effects.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-30-2017, 01:04 PM
 
Location: Colorado
13,946 posts, read 8,362,628 times
Reputation: 24941
I have a weird coyote story. Very uncharacteristic behavior for them. I was visiting my boyfriend at the time, and he lived out on the plains east of Colorado Springs, quite a ways out in the country. He had a large piece of land. That area was crawling with rabbits, so the coyotes ought to have been well fed. We stepped out on the front porch to smoke, and we'd been hearing the coyotes all night, a good sized pack from the sounds of it, ranging around out in the night. Neither of us really noticed that as we were standing out on the porch, it went silent, I suppose we were too engrossed in our conversation. Then from around the south side of the house, came two coyotes silently running at us. When they got close they started snarling and growling, and my boyfriend backed me into the house and came after me quick. He grabbed a shotgun and fired a couple shots into the air to scare them off, and they did leave...only to regroup with the much larger part of the pack that was coming around the north side of the house. It was impossible to count them in the dark, but there were a lot of them. The first two were just decoys.

I was so shocked that coyotes would be coming after people like that. I could only guess it was because we smelled like sex and pizza. ??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-30-2017, 02:19 PM
 
Location: NW Nevada
15,156 posts, read 12,284,608 times
Reputation: 13996
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
I have a weird coyote story. Very uncharacteristic behavior for them. I was visiting my boyfriend at the time, and he lived out on the plains east of Colorado Springs, quite a ways out in the country. He had a large piece of land. That area was crawling with rabbits, so the coyotes ought to have been well fed. We stepped out on the front porch to smoke, and we'd been hearing the coyotes all night, a good sized pack from the sounds of it, ranging around out in the night. Neither of us really noticed that as we were standing out on the porch, it went silent, I suppose we were too engrossed in our conversation. Then from around the south side of the house, came two coyotes silently running at us. When they got close they started snarling and growling, and my boyfriend backed me into the house and came after me quick. He grabbed a shotgun and fired a couple shots into the air to scare them off, and they did leave...only to regroup with the much larger part of the pack that was coming around the north side of the house. It was impossible to count them in the dark, but there were a lot of them. The first two were just decoys.

I was so shocked that coyotes would be coming after people like that. I could only guess it was because we smelled like sex and pizza. ??

I've seen coyotes get pretty bold but not THAT bold. Those shots should have been fired for effect not in the air. Your husband should have killed as many as possible stone dead! I sure would have. I've had them come in my yard after my dogs and barn cats, right in the yard yipping it up and a nasty tangle with my Elkhound who needed serious vet work after my shotgun did its work. But never after people. THAT is weird behavior. And no, it wasn't your smell. That should have backed them off especially with cigarette smoke.


Next time you have yotes on your place...shoot to kill!! That is all I have to say.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-30-2017, 02:31 PM
 
Location: Colorado
13,946 posts, read 8,362,628 times
Reputation: 24941
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
I've seen coyotes get pretty bold but not THAT bold. Those shots should have been fired for effect not in the air. Your husband should have killed as many as possible stone dead! I sure would have. I've had them come in my yard after my dogs and barn cats, right in the yard yipping it up and a nasty tangle with my Elkhound who needed serious vet work after my shotgun did its work. But never after people. THAT is weird behavior. And no, it wasn't your smell. That should have backed them off especially with cigarette smoke.


Next time you have yotes on your place...shoot to kill!! That is all I have to say.
Yeah, it was pretty freaky. I could not imagine what they were doing coming after us, even if I'm a pretty small chick, there are bunnies and even dogs and cats out there they could get so much more easily than a person. Maybe the abundance of food led to high population, and a bigger pack made them bolder.

It was a boyfriend, not a husband, and we aren't dating anymore, and he's since then sold the ranch property and moved into town. But he also said he'd never seen anything like that. He thought they were feral dogs at first, until we got inside the storm door and he saw the ones right out there in the porch light. He was used to firing the shotgun into the air to scare off one of the neighbor's dogs that they let run loose, so in a split second of decision making, he just did that.

Every time after that, when I visited, if we stepped outside, he had his gun in hand. While we heard the coyote pack off in the distance several times after that, they never came close again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-30-2017, 04:00 PM
 
Location: NW Nevada
15,156 posts, read 12,284,608 times
Reputation: 13996
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
Yeah, it was pretty freaky. I could not imagine what they were doing coming after us, even if I'm a pretty small chick, there are bunnies and even dogs and cats out there they could get so much more easily than a person. Maybe the abundance of food led to high population, and a bigger pack made them bolder.

It was a boyfriend, not a husband, and we aren't dating anymore, and he's since then sold the ranch property and moved into town. But he also said he'd never seen anything like that. He thought they were feral dogs at first, until we got inside the storm door and he saw the ones right out there in the porch light. He was used to firing the shotgun into the air to scare off one of the neighbor's dogs that they let run loose, so in a split second of decision making, he just did that.

Every time after that, when I visited, if we stepped outside, he had his gun in hand. While we heard the coyote pack off in the distance several times after that, they never came close again.

It's possible these animals were mixed with feral dogs. Coydogs we call them. They are nasty customers and we have an issue with them here now thanks to city dicks dumping in the scrub. Some have adapted and interbred. They are bold , vicious, and have no fear of people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-30-2017, 04:32 PM
 
Location: Colorado
13,946 posts, read 8,362,628 times
Reputation: 24941
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
It's possible these animals were mixed with feral dogs. Coydogs we call them. They are nasty customers and we have an issue with them here now thanks to city dicks dumping in the scrub. Some have adapted and interbred. They are bold , vicious, and have no fear of people.
True. I have heard about this, my ex-husband was originally from rural Iowa, and he told me about this. The two I saw fairly close looked like coyotes, but the larger group was on the move and in the dark, so harder to see how consistently coyote-ish they looked. They sure sounded like coyotes and nothing else, but that doesn't necessarily mean anything.

Hear ya on dicks abandoning pets. That's a bad business all around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top