U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2017, 10:10 AM

34,810 posts, read 44,334,081 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
I agree, but let me tell you, in the Poconos, you have city people, who are idiots....they insist on moving in from the city and feeding these animals, and pretty soon, wild animals begin to associate people with food.

I used to belong to a hunting club...helping out doing fund raisers and such, and we has a quest speaker come and talk about bears. He told us, that one woman, actually coaxed a bear, into her home with food, with a toddler sitting on the floor. When they got wind of it, they had to catch the poor bear and put it down, b/c they couldn't take a chance on the risk she had created.
The Poconos are no different than any rural area which has suffered an influx of rural pioneers moving to it so it can be uplifted.

People move to the country and one of the first things they think is ,"gotta get a dog". They do and then many times let them run loose. Some come back, some get killed and some turn feral.

We had a tremendous feral dog problem here up until around 20 years ago. Animal Control was worthless and wouldn't cite people, newer people kept letting their dogs run loose, more traditional people didn't want the hassle of putting a running dog down (although it's legal to do in Maryland).

That all changed when a pack ran down and killed an 8 year old riding his bike. **** got serious then. The feral dog problem is now history.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2017, 10:20 AM

3,480 posts, read 3,454,930 times
Post Red wolves share much of their genetic ancestry with coyote

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonesuch
Eastern coyotes are closer to Canis lupus lycaon than to Canis familiaris.
Citation from reputable source please.
There is none. Eastern coyotes are larger than the western variants, and they have a mix of wolf and dog in their genome.
Nice job ignoring my previous reply

I gave a stack of citations (not Wikipedia) including recent research showing coyotes and wolves likely share a recent common ancestor:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Science Advances
The new analysis, published in the journal Science Advances, paints a profoundly different portrait of the American wolf.

Bridgett M. vonHoldt of Princeton University and her colleagues sequenced the genomes of 12 gray wolves, six Eastern wolves, three red wolves and three coyotes, as well as the genomes of dogs and wolves from Asia.
. . .
What really sets Eastern wolves and red wolves apart, the researchers found, is a large amount of coyote DNA in their genomes.

The new study revealed that coyotes and North American wolves shared a remarkably recent common ancestor. Scientists had previously estimated their ancestor lived a million years ago, but the new study put the figure at just 50,000 years ago.
See also the followup article.

I stand by the original statement: Eastern coyotes are closer to Canis lupus lycaon than to Canis familiaris.

Old 08-31-2017, 10:26 AM

18,446 posts, read 7,302,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
It wasn't a mountain lion or cougar, unless both of those species are jet black.....but just as big. It did not show any fear or run, and it certainly knew we were there.

I'm thinking it was someone's pet, and it got loose or was let loose.

However, as I said, I googled, black panthers seen in PA and there were several other reported sightings, and one man reported the same jet black coat. I'm not saying it was the same one, but several have been spotted.
Cougars can be black.

Old 08-31-2017, 10:31 AM

26,455 posts, read 25,402,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Cougars can be black.
Really? I never knew that?

Why Thank you!!!!

Old 08-31-2017, 10:52 AM

4,848 posts, read 3,615,367 times
We have black bears, lynx, and coyotes in town here, and other less predatory critters as well, of course. Further away from the busy part of town, there are grizzlies, wolves, and wolverines too. Wholly avoiding them would mean never getting out of your house/vehicle, so it doesn't make sense to curtail one's routines. What does make sense is following wildlife safety rules, like securing your garbage and keeping pets leashed or safely contained. Not a bad idea to carry a gun, either, but only if you know how to use it and keep in practice with it. Bear attacks aren't super common, but they do happen - one of my coworkers got mauled by a black bear just a few blocks from the post office.

Statistically, moose are the most dangerous animal, and they're omnipresent, so that's a consideration.

The most surprising animal I ever encountered while out for a walk was a bison. Several bison, actually. I emerged from the walking trail into a clearing, and bam, bison. Then I backed out of the clearing, lol.

Old 08-31-2017, 11:17 AM

26,455 posts, read 25,402,152 times
while reading this I was reminded of a show I watched recently entitled, "I was Prey"

there was a young single man who had to walk to work, on some heavy forest areas, not sure where he said he lived.

He heard sounds around him, like babies crying, and then full blown howls.

3 coyotes attacked him and they were not about to give up....they were definitely trying to kill him for food, maybe they had cubes? He Beat them off of him, however, they did almost do him in....and it was chilling to hear his story, b/c I never thought they would attack humans, unless they feared a threat. So, yes, indeed, it would be safe to carry a gun when out in the wilderness.

Old 08-31-2017, 01:04 PM

5,027 posts, read 6,979,435 times
Ive encountered quite a lot of wild animals in hikes and walks and in my yard(grizzlies, wolves, cougar, etc) and the only ones that really concern me are people and loose pit bulls.

And moose during the rut.

Old 08-31-2017, 02:03 PM

4,796 posts, read 3,516,719 times
I live in Los Angeles. In some neighborhoods I have lived in I would see coyotes every morning on the sidewalks and have seen plenty of deer and a few bobcats in the neighborhoods. But this is areas close to parks. Sightings are less common once you get more urban but there are definitely coyotes living in downtown LA and other urban parts of the city

Old 08-31-2017, 02:05 PM

13,946 posts, read 8,357,871 times
cremebrulee: Black coat color is usually a genetic mutation in large cats and other animals. It's called melanism. (Opposite of albinism.) It's more common to see it in jaguars I think, than in the mountain lion or cougar...but still quite possible. It would be rare-ish. When a spotted cat like a jaguar is melanistic, though, you can still see the spots in the right light.

Interestingly a black "panther"...kind of isn't a thing, even! It's just a variant of a jaguar, leopard, or cougar. Not a separate species.

I have thoughts about wild deer, as one of the more frequent bigger wild critters we encounter in North America. I have lived all over the US, and I am used to the whitetails we had back east. Here in Colorado, the dominant species is the mule deer (we also have elk and even moose, but mostly here in the Springs you'll see mule deer.) Ya know, I think the mule deer are more placid, and possibly smarter than their whitetail cousins. I seem to recall that a whitetail's response to an approaching vehicle is sometimes to go into "rabbit panic" mode where they jump around wildly as though trying to evade a predator, zigging and zagging and often getting hit, or running right into your car. The mule deer here, I am actually curious about the road incident stats, but the ones in town seem to know better how to avoid cars. They don't jump out in the road unpredictably, so much. They stroll along placidly, and when a car is coming, they get out of the way.

Maybe the whitetails are just a lot more numerous. I don't know.

Old 08-31-2017, 02:26 PM

34,810 posts, read 44,334,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
cremebrulee: Black coat color is usually a genetic mutation in large cats and other animals. It's called melanism. (Opposite of albinism.) It's more common to see it in jaguars I think, than in the mountain lion or cougar...but still quite possible. It would be rare-ish. When a spotted cat like a jaguar is melanistic, though, you can still see the spots in the right light.

Interestingly a black "panther"...kind of isn't a thing, even! It's just a variant of a jaguar, leopard, or cougar. Not a separate species.

I have thoughts about wild deer, as one of the more frequent bigger wild critters we encounter in North America. I have lived all over the US, and I am used to the whitetails we had back east. Here in Colorado, the dominant species is the mule deer (we also have elk and even moose, but mostly here in the Springs you'll see mule deer.) Ya know, I think the mule deer are more placid, and possibly smarter than their whitetail cousins. I seem to recall that a whitetail's response to an approaching vehicle is sometimes to go into "rabbit panic" mode where they jump around wildly as though trying to evade a predator, zigging and zagging and often getting hit, or running right into your car. The mule deer here, I am actually curious about the road incident stats, but the ones in town seem to know better how to avoid cars. They don't jump out in the road unpredictably, so much. They stroll along placidly, and when a car is coming, they get out of the way.

Maybe the whitetails are just a lot more numerous. I don't know.
I don't know about mulie numbers but it's thought that there are now more whitetail deer than there were when Jamestown and Plymouth were founded.

In some states they'd been nearly wiped out by 1900. When we moved to Maryland, from Pennsylvania, 35 years ago deer season here was like 5 days long for gun season with short archery and black powder seasons.

Now deer season starts in September and goes through, in and out, January. If a hunter hunts all three types of weapon in both management areas he can take up to something like 20 deer. I know a couple guys who do that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or