U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2017, 05:43 PM

6,261 posts, read 8,729,168 times

Advertisements

OP back.

I still haven't returned to the spot where I saw the coyote. I'm sure I'll be back again one day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2017, 12:41 AM

8,168 posts, read 4,471,196 times
I was sitting outside watching the perseids meteor shower about midnight and three coyotes were wanting to cut through my back courtyard and out my driveway. They were about 50 feet away behind some shrubs and started yipping and howling out of frustration because they wanted to get past me but were afraid to come closer. I got up and triggered the motion detector garage light and they ran out back to the fence. I finally went inside and they snuck past. It was a little too close and creepy for comfort.

Old 09-18-2017, 09:44 PM

1,736 posts, read 860,902 times
Default only one urban wildlife encounter

I've seen coyotes and bobcats in the wilderness... it's fun to see them, for the brief moments before they run away... no reason to be afraid of them.
On the other hand, once in the city, while walking to my apartment late at night, I encountered a skunk... that time I was the one who retreated, obviously!

Old 09-20-2017, 08:39 AM

15,179 posts, read 12,313,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
I was sitting outside watching the perseids meteor shower about midnight and three coyotes were wanting to cut through my back courtyard and out my driveway. They were about 50 feet away behind some shrubs and started yipping and howling out of frustration because they wanted to get past me but were afraid to come closer. I got up and triggered the motion detector garage light and they ran out back to the fence. I finally went inside and they snuck past. It was a little too close and creepy for comfort.
The more people who move into an area, if there's coyotes there the bolder they get. Coyotes thrive around people. Encroachment on their habitat means a new food source and little more. Be that household pets, garbage or dummies who actually put food out for them. The latter is a VERY bad idea, but I hear transplants here talking about doing it all the time.

That yotes hanging around is actually a less than cool thing doesn't occur to a far to many folks. Not all that far above rats in the reality of it. Though they are a lot easier to run off they are at the end of the day a vicious and canny predator with an unrivaled survival skill. Their thought processes I have seen rival that of humans. And they flat thrive in human presence.

Old 09-21-2017, 12:15 PM

26,507 posts, read 25,457,406 times
I'm not sure that people realize, how dangerous coyote's can be. We've had several people attacked walking their dogs south of us, here...and a neighbor saw one in a field across the street.

Watched a special on them, and they are pretty aggressive if they have cubs...three of them attacked a man on the show I was watching and he described the entire attack. I wouldn't take lightly to them being around...and they are evasive....you might hear them, but you won't see them.

Fisheye, correct me please if I'm wrong?

Old 09-21-2017, 02:26 PM

15,179 posts, read 12,313,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
I'm not sure that people realize, how dangerous coyote's can be. We've had several people attacked walking their dogs south of us, here...and a neighbor saw one in a field across the street.

Watched a special on them, and they are pretty aggressive if they have cubs...three of them attacked a man on the show I was watching and he described the entire attack. I wouldn't take lightly to them being around...and they are evasive....you might hear them, but you won't see them.

Fisheye, correct me please if I'm wrong?

Well I'm not Fisheye, but you're not wrong. That said I have never seen the yotes here, even the citified ones, actually mount an attack on people. Though I have heard tell of it. In numbers above a pair, they could, and would, certainly take any target of opportunity. I suppose that could include people, especially small children. And the bigger the urban environment they live in proximity to, the bolder they are.

Old 09-21-2017, 04:21 PM

15,978 posts, read 12,772,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Well I'm not Fisheye, but you're not wrong. That said I have never seen the yotes here, even the citified ones, actually mount an attack on people. Though I have heard tell of it. In numbers above a pair, they could, and would, certainly take any target of opportunity. I suppose that could include people, especially small children. And the bigger the urban environment they live in proximity to, the bolder they are.
I don't know either. Our eastern coyotes are larger and are a mixed breed. I would presume that most people are right about harmless. But there is no way to tell if the individual coyote or pack is hungry, fells challenged or threatened, or is sick from rabies or other diseases. A small child running could trigger their hunting instincts; it would be hard to say?

My feeling is to always treat them as a potential threat. I don't think that we should ever totally accept them or protect them so that they would lose the fear of humans.

Old 09-21-2017, 05:23 PM

17,318 posts, read 11,079,788 times
most mothers are aggressive if they think their cubs/kits/pups are being threatened.

Just don't go running after them with your smartphone or tablet or whatever.

I've seen bear, coyotes, skunks, and a few other critters. I just give them their space. I enjoy watching if possible but if I'm in the woods, I consider that their home, not mine.

Old 12-05-2017, 12:17 PM

15,978 posts, read 12,772,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Coyote attacks 3-year-old on front porch | WNEP.com

Old 12-05-2017, 12:35 PM

26,507 posts, read 25,457,406 times
coyotes and wolves, stay in the areas as long as there is food available. They will clean out the area of food, and then move on...meaning they will deplete their food source....be it chickens, moose, dogs, cats, etc.

We had a coyote right in the field across from my home. There are still fields around, but not nearly what was there years ago.

They've been known to attack people walking little dogs for the dogs. Remember, they have puppies just like dogs do and can have as many as 5 - 7 or 8 - 10 pups depending on how much food is available.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or