U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2017, 07:41 AM

26,454 posts, read 25,394,764 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Truly, people are about the most stupid critter on the planet when it comes to playing with "breeding". Take these dog fighting creeps for instance. Crossing all manner of the biggest, strongest and most aggressive animals there is and often, as you say, having them end up running wild.

Man is regularly bringing all manner of hurt down when it comes to crossing breeds of dogs and now we have domestic/wild hybrids developing breeding populations. We never learn. Killer bees, pythons in the Everglades. Invasive species are a serious problem. One has to wonder what sort of mischief the government is into with weaponizing animals and what may have gotten loose.
I just read an article yesterday, where a pit killed it's 90 year old woman owner/handler....

Something triggers in them to kill, or short circuits, don't know what, and I've owned dobermans, coon hounds, beagles, labs before, but pitts scare me, due to their breeding.

whenever I travel through the huge forests of WV, KY, Maryland, western Carolinas, I can't help but ponder what is in them....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2017, 07:50 AM

Quote:
JustPassinThru I saw another coyote waiting at a red light (more likely waiting on the cars), and then he loped across the street when the cross-traffic stopped and the light changed to green. This behavior was quite unlike his jaywalking kin.

Oh my gosh, your not going to believe this, but once while driving, I saw a mama deer with her first year babies, along side the road, as if she was teaching them to wait...I slowed down to watch in my rear view, and when there was no traffic, they crossed. I thought it to be coincidence? Guess not!

Old 12-12-2017, 08:07 AM

15,912 posts, read 12,707,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
Oh my gosh, your not going to believe this, but once while driving, I saw a mama deer with her first year babies, along side the road, as if she was teaching them to wait...I slowed down to watch in my rear view, and when there was no traffic, they crossed. I thought it to be coincidence? Guess not!
It's forced evolution: the ones laying on the side of the road did not get the message!

Normally deer will graze on the side of our roads and then walk across the road to the other side. When predators are around and especially coyotes; they run. They appear in front of drivers before they have a chance to react.

Old 12-12-2017, 09:00 AM

18,436 posts, read 7,296,142 times
Quote:
I just read an article yesterday, where a pit killed it's 90 year old woman owner/handler....

Something triggers in them to kill, or short circuits, don't know what, and I've owned dobermans, coon hounds, beagles, labs before, but pitts scare me, due to their breeding.

whenever I travel through the huge forests of WV, KY, Maryland, western Carolinas, I can't help but ponder what is in them....
Labs and beagles are far more dangerous than pits. They're killing machines.

Old 12-12-2017, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Labs and beagles are far more dangerous than pits. They're killing machines.
pits were bed to be fighters/killers

some are great dogs, others, not so much

Old 12-12-2017, 01:18 PM

Quote:
pits were bed to be fighters/killers

some are great dogs, others, not so much
That's true of pits. Labs and beagles were bred to kill wantonly.

Old 12-12-2017, 01:53 PM

Quote:
That's true of pits. Labs and beagles were bred to kill wantonly.
My Basset/Dachshund mix was a true killer - she always told me where to shoot!

Old 12-12-2017, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
My Basset/Dachshund mix was a true killer - she always told me where to shoot!
How many people did she kill?

Old 12-12-2017, 04:46 PM

Quote:
How many people did she kill?
She wasn't interested in people. She loved guns and hunting!

Old 12-12-2017, 05:32 PM

716 posts, read 980,512 times
Quote:
maybe, maybe not? hard to say....coyotes and wolves will clean out an area of food, rabbits, birds, cats, chickens, moose, deer, house dogs, etc....and then move on....so, it depends on the available food present in your area.

Man re-introduced wolves back in the west, and for a while they were good for the ecology there, but now, they are killing farmers stock, and becoming a huge problem, b/c they are over breeding. Remember they have puppies just like dogs, and those babies need to be fed, so they will kill anything to feed them.
I live where there are wolves and they are neither over-breeding or becoming a huge problem. In a pack only the alpha male and female typically breed, unless someone gets sneaky, and their litter size is usually dependent on ecological circumstances. Less prey, less pups. More prey, more pups. Not all the pups make it to adulthood. Wolves in the wild usually only live four years. They do kill some livestock but ranchers lose more livestock to bad weather than predators. Farmers don't lose too much to predators at all. Not too many of them eating the hay and wheat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or