U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2018, 04:56 AM

26,471 posts, read 25,434,439 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
I'd forgotten about this thread. News from where I grew up:

Police Searching for Coyote That Attacked Woman in Brookville
I heard the tail end report either on the news or the radio....all I remember about it, was that they had found a coyote or wolf living in the city on the top of buildings? But don't remember the city?
I think if I remember correctly, it was just this week?

Not sure...

here is an interesting article

https://urbancoyoteresearch.com/media
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2018, 08:40 AM

702 posts, read 352,002 times
We live in a rural town in southeast Kansas. My husband often walks our dog , who is a mixture of wolf, chow and black lab, at night. They frequently run across coyotes, mostly near the train tracks behind our house but sometimes many blocks away, and our dog tries to go after them. Once he dragged my husband several yards on his belly until DH was able to grab ahold of something to stop him.w

Two nights ago they were walking home down the tracks when a coyote jumped out of some bushes and broadsided DH and knocked him flat. Our dog spun around and grabbed the coyote in the flank and tore a big chunk out of him. The coyote ran off yelping, leaving a piece of fur and hide on the ground.

Thankfully, DH was not injured but was very shaken. He is ex-military and it takes a lot to freak him out. I have never seen him that disturbed. Our dog saved his life. Our daughter wants us to report it to animal control, but we know they won't do anything. Coyotes are everywhere these days, and I guess it's inevitable to run into them, especially in an rural area. Scary times for sure.

Old 03-31-2018, 08:53 AM

34,868 posts, read 44,399,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoundedSpirit View Post
We live in a rural town in southeast Kansas. My husband often walks our dog , who is a mixture of wolf, chow and black lab, at night. They frequently run across coyotes, mostly near the train tracks behind our house but sometimes many blocks away, and our dog tries to go after them. Once he dragged my husband several yards on his belly until DH was able to grab ahold of something to stop him.w

Two nights ago they were walking home down the tracks when a coyote jumped out of some bushes and broadsided DH and knocked him flat. Our dog spun around and grabbed the coyote in the flank and tore a big chunk out of him. The coyote ran off yelping, leaving a piece of fur and hide on the ground.

Thankfully, DH was not injured but was very shaken. He is ex-military and it takes a lot to freak him out. I have never seen him that disturbed. Our dog saved his life. Our daughter wants us to report it to animal control, but we know they won't do anything. Coyotes are everywhere these days, and I guess it's inevitable to run into them, especially in an rural area. Scary times for sure.
You should still report it, either to animal control or your state's version of a department of natural resources. It would aid them in getting a baseline of numbers at the very least and maybe help in setting a hunting season.

One thing you can't discount, and the article I posted alluded to it or the follow up articles I didn't post, is the threat of rabies. The DNR needs to know that, too.

Old 03-31-2018, 09:24 AM

18,478 posts, read 7,325,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoundedSpirit View Post

You should still report it, either to animal control or your state's version of a department of natural resources. It would aid them in getting a baseline of numbers at the very least and maybe help in setting a hunting season.

One thing you can't discount, and the article I posted alluded to it or the follow up articles I didn't post, is the threat of rabies. The DNR needs to know that, too.
Not a good idea; the wolf-mix that the family has would likely be confiscated.

Old 03-31-2018, 11:49 AM

426 posts, read 195,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminnm View Post
Bobcats have almost replaced coyotes in our area and we see them regularly. I had a little face to face with a bobcat a few mornings ago at the end of our driveway. He wasn't all that interested in me, just in investigating the drain pipe that bunnies use. They've also napped on our front patio and in our rear courtyard. We used to see coyotes regularly, but much less now.
Bobcats have solved the rural feral cat problem in Oregon. They climb right up the trees after them. Its a cat eat cat world. There are more songbirds now. Its the balance of nature.

Old 03-31-2018, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
I since did some research and there's a mixture of views. Apparently the very rare or extinct catamount (a variety of cougar formerly common in the Northeast) was sometimes black or dark brown. Cougars are elusive and unlike wolves don't set up a big racket. I'm not so sure that they were exterminated.

If I was wrong ont he black cougar I'm sorry.

thanks for your input...they've been sighting them in NJ and way too many sightings in PA, as far as the black ones, I was more inclined to believe that perhaps it was a pet that got lose?
But, I've been reading many other sightings in PA on the internet....

The Game commission still denies that they are there, however, way too many sightings any longer.

Old 03-31-2018, 12:11 PM

426 posts, read 195,031 times
Jaguars used to come into Texas from Mexico. Some Jaguars are black.

Old 03-31-2018, 02:15 PM

702 posts, read 352,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Not a good idea; the wolf-mix that the family has would likely be confiscated.
They would never be able to tell he is 1/4 wolf. He just looks like a lab/chow. It's more likely they would just blow it off. The dogcatcher here has a bad reputation. He lets people's dogs out of their fenced yard and then makes them pay to get them out of the pound, plus he owns a pitbull, and it's illegal own them here. Nobody that can do anything about him seems to care. The "good 'ole boy" network is alive and well in southeast Kansas.

Old 03-31-2018, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackberryMerlot View Post
Jaguars used to come into Texas from Mexico. Some Jaguars are black.
I think up here we called them black panthers?

Not sure?

the one I saw was stunning, it's coat was so black and the sun was hitting it, so it shone so black....beautiful animal....but scared the daylights out of me....I called the dogs, (they didn't see it) and ran all the way back to the house....

Called the police, but I believe they thought I was hitting the bottle, or something. LOL

http://www.deerhuntingguide.net/big-black-cat.html

http://www.exploreclarion.com/2018/0...s-exist-in-pa/

http://darkinvestigations.blogspot.c...in-pa-yes.html

there is still much of PA that are State Game Lands and forests...especially Northern PA and Western PA

Old 03-31-2018, 05:39 PM

5,292 posts, read 4,759,457 times
I see coyotes often here in rural Colorado. The ones around here are very shy and stay clear of people. We are plagued by prairie dogs on the farm I live on and coyotes love to come around and eat them like tasty snacks. I think prairie dogs must be their Lays potato chips.

I often go to the mountains to camp by myself and the coyotes will sing me to sleep. Never had one approach my campsite, and they don't scare me in the least. I love hearing their latest hit songs and I know they're ridding the area of undesirable rodents (besides prairie dogs) which out here can be carriers of the plague.

The only thing that worries me about them is that they might entice my dog to try to join them and he'd end up as their dinner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or