U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2018, 09:40 AM

6,261 posts, read 8,729,168 times

Advertisements

Well, it's a nice, cool Easter morning so far & my fiance' & I could go walking right now on that college campus where we saw that coyote, but eh. We walk in a couple of other places a LOT more than just that college.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
I wouldn't put my real name and address on the internet, just a warning, not with today's problems.....
not worth it, please be careful
I don't remember if I said it back then, but NO, I didn't input my info in that thing!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2018, 04:10 PM

3,516 posts, read 3,478,322 times
Wink Do black bears count as two-legged predators?

At this time of year, I'm more concerned about the bears than the coyotes. This is the time when bears emerge from hibernation, hungry and often with cubs to protect.

Old 04-01-2018, 06:26 PM

82 posts, read 57,240 times
The coyotes haven't arrived in eastern Maryland (yet).

There was a rabid grey fox that charged me several nights a few summers ago. It kept me indoors a while. Then, I just picked up a long stick to talk along for the walk.

There was a young, aspiring singer songwriter who got attacked / mauled to death by a group of coyotes several years ago while hiking alone in a rural, forested area on Cape Breton Island, Nova Scotia. Forensics discovered that she tried to save herself. She ran to some kind of outdoor structure near the scene of the attack. It looked like she tried to ply to the door open, but couldn't break the lock. The coyotes finished her off.

Last edited by phaneuf; 04-01-2018 at 06:42 PM..

Old 04-01-2018, 06:41 PM

9,933 posts, read 11,639,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phaneuf View Post
There was a young, aspiring singer songwriter who got attacked / mauled to death by a group of coyotes several years ago while hiking alone in a rural, forested area on Cape Breton Island, Nova Scotia. Forensics discovered that she tried to save herself. She ran to some kind of outdoor structure near the scene of the attack. It looked like she tried to ply to the door open, but couldn't break the lock. The coyotes finished her off.
Fake News isn't limited to politics.

Old 04-01-2018, 06:51 PM

6,933 posts, read 8,429,420 times
Southern Indiana here. We have about 25 acres of woods we own behind the house and there is another 20 or so owned by neighbors. At the edge of the woods is a very large farm field. I hear the coyotes nightly out near the field. If you've never heard a pack of coyotes, it's a bit scary sounding and varies from a ghost-like sound to a bunch of kids playing.

One winter day I was out walking through the woods and noticed a coyote a few hundred yards away from me. I stopped. He stopped. We stared at each other awhile before he turned and ran off.

One afternoon I looked out the kitchen window and saw one in walking through the back yard. I definitely didn't like it's proximity to the house.

I keep my phone with me when I'm out in the woods. My intent is to first play obnoxious music really loud if I encounter coyotes and second to call for help.

I've seen a coyote on a main street in town while going to church. We used to hear them fairly often in our suburban Chicago house.

I know bobcats are nearby, but we've yet to see or hear one. I suspect it's only a matter of time. T

o this day my son and brother swear they saw a large black cat on a nearby trail. Others in the general area have reported seeing a similar large black cat. We still laugh at it though as a some reported seeing Big Foot a few miles away.

Old 04-01-2018, 06:56 PM

34,897 posts, read 44,448,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phaneuf View Post
The coyotes haven't arrived in eastern Maryland (yet).

There was a rabid grey fox that charged me several nights a few summers ago. It kept me indoors a while. Then, I just picked up a long stick to talk along for the walk.

What do you consider eastern Maryland? They're certainly here in Southern Maryland. You guys have had a couple bears spotted the last few years on the Shore and one was killed over here in St. Mary's.

Old 04-01-2018, 06:57 PM

34,897 posts, read 44,448,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
Fake News isn't limited to politics.
Not quite:

Coyotes kill Toronto singer in Cape Breton | CBC News

Canadian folk singer killed by coyotes, park official says - CNN.com

Old 04-02-2018, 11:37 AM

27,091 posts, read 6,936,155 times
Encountered a rabid coyote but he was so very ill, he just slowly wandered off. Called animal control but they did not arrive in time to put him down. He couldn't have lived more than a day or two I expect....very sad.

Old 04-02-2018, 11:48 AM

15,431 posts, read 8,546,736 times
We live 20 minutes to the loop of Chicago, yet it's like a different planet here in our satellite community. I've seen many coyotes on my late night walks and bike rides. I've had my dogs with me when I used to see this big beautiful male coyote walking around town. He just ran off as we got closer. My first encounter with a coyote was decades ago when I was coming home from work after working the second shift. I saw it around midnight on the side of a busy road. I pulled over thinking it was someones dog. I was literally about 6 feet away from it and calling it to come to me. I remember thinking that it was the strangest dog I've ever seen before realizing that it was a coyote. It finally took off into the woods. I don't fear them at all.

We have deer that walk the streets and it was a real treat to see three bucks on one of my walks with the boys. We have a couple of patches of woods in our town and I love to go there after midnight on nights with a full moon. I've seen deer, coyote, foxes and lots of raccoons and possums. They're all a peaceful bunch and we've had some nice conversations

I just have my Yorkie now and I won't be letting him off leash in the woods like I used to when I had my other dog with us. He's just too little and would be a good snack for a hungry coyote. Everything has to eat. I respect that.

Old 04-02-2018, 04:17 PM

5,043 posts, read 6,996,908 times
Ive seen a wolf, grizzly bear, Black bears, moose and deer in the wild but I was in my kitchen so I didn’t do anything but take pictures or watch thru binoculars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or