U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2019, 10:55 AM

9,056 posts, read 3,337,754 times

Advertisements

Lately, we've had a coyote hanging around at work. I've not seen it yet with my own eyes, but a couple of work associates have posted pictures on Facebook. It looks sickly and kind of mangy.

In my subdivision at home, I've seen a coyote. For all I know, there might be more than one. The one in the neighborhood looks healthy. People are always posting pictures of their missing cats. I just always figure the coyote got them. Or if the cats are small enough...we have hawks, eagles and owls too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2019, 11:05 AM

26,485 posts, read 25,437,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
Lately, we've had a coyote hanging around at work. I've not seen it yet with my own eyes, but a couple of work associates have posted pictures on Facebook. It looks sickly and kind of mangy.

In my subdivision at home, I've seen a coyote. For all I know, there might be more than one. The one in the neighborhood looks healthy. People are always posting pictures of their missing cats. I just always figure the coyote got them. Or if the cats are small enough...we have hawks, eagles and owls too.
your right, about now, is when they have their young, and coyote's go where the food is, and if it has easy access, to cats, and smaller pets, rabbits, etc...it will stay there and kill to feed it's young.

I live in a smaller community in the woods, and I've seen coyotes, even a bobcat....and bear. If the coyote you saw looked sickly it most likely was....be very careful and warn your neighbors who have small dogs...b/c they are known to attack even when on a leash.

My cousin's neighbor had 3 small Chihuahuas and left them out in her fenced in yard, one was taken by a hawk...makes me cringe....

Old 05-03-2019, 11:21 AM

26,485 posts, read 25,437,966 times
https://www.explorejeffersonpa.com/d...s-exist-in-pa/

I will tell this story till the day I die, but I came face to face with a black panther.

We lived in the Poconos, in Monroe county, on a lake, with a one lane road, which went around our community.

We had 3 dobies at the time, and every night, I'd take them to the edge of the woods, and let them all go. they would all run up the trail thru the woods, into a field that was planted every year. This particular evening, the sun started going down and by the time I reached the open field, which has been plowed by the farmer, the dog were at the other end of the field. all of a sudden I looked over to my right, at something that was moving...low and behold, it was a big black cat, like the one in the following video...it stood up, from what I believed to be a nap, stretched out in front of it, it's coat shown inky black, in the setting sun...all of a sudden I called the alpha female, knowing if she ran to me, the other two would come....

The cat sat there watching, and when my dogs got to me, I turned and ran as fast as I could back to the house.

this cats tail stretched out behind it, long and hung to the ground....why it didn't chase us, I'll never know...but it was the most beautiful thing.

Upon arriving home, I called the police, which was located right down the road from me about 5 miles, and they laughed and thought I was drunk.

I thought perhaps at the time, it was a pet and had gotten loose. ????? Back then I didn't own a cell, and even if I had, was in such a state of shock...

That was over 20 years ago, and to this day every once in a while I do a search on the internet for sightings in PA of big black cats or pumas....and there is always more I found this video today.

warning, please after they show the black panther do not watch the rest, as they were doe hunting so...warning....

Old 05-03-2019, 11:44 AM

18,497 posts, read 7,329,678 times
At the end of August 2010 I was jogging in a suburban village about 28 miles from New York City, getting ready to mount a fairly steep hill for a 2 mile run. An elderly lady by the side of the road waved me over and wanted me to wait with her for the police. She said a "fox" had just bitten a neighbor's dog that I liked, a rather vicious golden-doodle. The police showed up. By that time I was running late for my evening plans so I shortened the run to climb the hill on a shorter road, and return faster. I saw the animal saunter across the road. I ran back to the squad car and said, "your animal is heading to the brook at _______ (address not disclosed). I asked him to get the animal, and he continued shuffling his paperwork. Since it was broad daylight, about 6:20 p.m. and about 97° (an unseasonably late heat wave) I knew something was badly wrong, and that the animal was no fox. Nocturnal animals out during the day are almost always rabid.

The next day a 14 year old friend of my older son was bitten, as was a baby. The animal was then killed, and it tested positive for rabies. I was rather upset with the police but decided not to go public.

Old 05-03-2019, 03:34 PM

15,178 posts, read 12,303,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
At the end of August 2010 I was jogging in a suburban village about 28 miles from New York City, getting ready to mount a fairly steep hill for a 2 mile run. An elderly lady by the side of the road waved me over and wanted me to wait with her for the police. She said a "fox" had just bitten a neighbor's dog that I liked, a rather vicious golden-doodle. The police showed up. By that time I was running late for my evening plans so I shortened the run to climb the hill on a shorter road, and return faster. I saw the animal saunter across the road. I ran back to the squad car and said, "your animal is heading to the brook at _______ (address not disclosed). I asked him to get the animal, and he continued shuffling his paperwork. Since it was broad daylight, about 6:20 p.m. and about 97° (an unseasonably late heat wave) I knew something was badly wrong, and that the animal was no fox. Nocturnal animals out during the day are almost always rabid.

The next day a 14 year old friend of my older son was bitten, as was a baby. The animal was then killed, and it tested positive for rabies. I was rather upset with the police but decided not to go public.

What manner of critter o saurus was it?

Old 05-03-2019, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
What manner of critter o saurus was it?
Wiley Yote.

Old 05-03-2019, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Wiley Yote.

mmmm. Wile E with rabies. And two bite victims plus the dog needing rabies treatments. Bet that cop wishes he'd have been a bit more serious bout things.

Old 05-03-2019, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
mmmm. Wile E with rabies. And two bite victims plus the dog needing rabies treatments. Bet that cop wishes he'd have been a bit more serious bout things.
Very simple. It was very hot; about 97° around the end of August at 6:00 p.m. He didn't want to leave his air-conditioned car.

Old 05-03-2019, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post

I will tell this story till the day I die, but I came face to face with a black panther.

We lived in the Poconos, in Monroe county, on a lake, with a one lane road, which went around our community.

We had 3 dobies at the time, and every night, I'd take them to the edge of the woods, and let them all go. they would all run up the trail thru the woods, into a field that was planted every year. This particular evening, the sun started going down and by the time I reached the open field, which has been plowed by the farmer, the dog were at the other end of the field. all of a sudden I looked over to my right, at something that was moving...low and behold, it was a big black cat, like the one in the following video...it stood up, from what I believed to be a nap, stretched out in front of it, it's coat shown inky black, in the setting sun...all of a sudden I called the alpha female, knowing if she ran to me, the other two would come....

The cat sat there watching, and when my dogs got to me, I turned and ran as fast as I could back to the house.

this cats tail stretched out behind it, long and hung to the ground....why it didn't chase us, I'll never know...but it was the most beautiful thing.

Upon arriving home, I called the police, which was located right down the road from me about 5 miles, and they laughed and thought I was drunk.

I thought perhaps at the time, it was a pet and had gotten loose. ????? Back then I didn't own a cell, and even if I had, was in such a state of shock...

That was over 20 years ago, and to this day every once in a while I do a search on the internet for sightings in PA of big black cats or pumas....and there is always more I found this video today.

warning, please after they show the black panther do not watch the rest, as they were doe hunting so...warning....

Wow. And you saw one of these up close and personal. I've seen plenty of cats here. Had to hunt down a couple stock killers but never have I even heard of a black cat here. Our cats are all a mousy grey. Colored a lot like the mule deer.

Old 05-04-2019, 05:50 AM

14,379 posts, read 19,783,331 times
[quote=cremebrulee;55093550]your right, about now, is when they have their young, and coyote's go where the food is, and if it has easy access, to cats, and smaller pets, rabbits, etc...it will stay there and kill to feed it's young.

I live in a smaller community in the woods, and I've seen coyotes, even a bobcat....and bear. If the coyote you saw looked sickly it most likely was....be very careful and warn your neighbors who have small dogs...b/c they are known to attack even when on a leash.

My cousin's neighbor had 3 small Chihuahuas and left them out in her fenced in yard, one was taken by a hawk...makes me cringe....[/QUOTE

A friend of mine sent me a newspaper clipping of her next door neighbors son who was about 11 at the time and he had his chihuahua outside on a leash and this hawk grabbed the dog not realizing the boy was on the other end and that boy got his dog back but boy oh boy did that kid get a beating he was swollen and scratched all up and had to take all kind of anti-biotics kid looked like he had been run over and beat up by a big truck . Yeah not a pretty sight but hey he still had his dog and the dog got scratched and needed anti-biotics too .I will never forget that one .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or