U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2019, 07:03 AM

26,452 posts, read 25,387,434 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
mmmm. Wile E with rabies. And two bite victims plus the dog needing rabies treatments. Bet that cop wishes he'd have been a bit more serious bout things.
Indeed...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2019, 07:04 AM

[quote=phonelady61;55098951]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
your right, about now, is when they have their young, and coyote's go where the food is, and if it has easy access, to cats, and smaller pets, rabbits, etc...it will stay there and kill to feed it's young.

I live in a smaller community in the woods, and I've seen coyotes, even a bobcat....and bear. If the coyote you saw looked sickly it most likely was....be very careful and warn your neighbors who have small dogs...b/c they are known to attack even when on a leash.

My cousin's neighbor had 3 small Chihuahuas and left them out in her fenced in yard, one was taken by a hawk...makes me cringe....[/QUOTE

A friend of mine sent me a newspaper clipping of her next door neighbors son who was about 11 at the time and he had his chihuahua outside on a leash and this hawk grabbed the dog not realizing the boy was on the other end and that boy got his dog back but boy oh boy did that kid get a beating he was swollen and scratched all up and had to take all kind of anti-biotics kid looked like he had been run over and beat up by a big truck . Yeah not a pretty sight but hey he still had his dog and the dog got scratched and needed anti-biotics too .I will never forget that one .

Poor kid

Old 05-04-2019, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Wow. And you saw one of these up close and personal. I've seen plenty of cats here. Had to hunt down a couple stock killers but never have I even heard of a black cat here. Our cats are all a mousy grey. Colored a lot like the mule deer.
It was so black and the sun was hitting it's coat, so it shone beautifully....something I will never ever forget....I actually thought it was an exotic pet, that got loose, that area is huge for drugs, so big and vast...lots of forests...

Old 05-04-2019, 09:48 PM

1,031 posts, read 1,542,343 times
I've had several encounters with wild animals, nothing that remarkable though. One time I was running at night and had to pass a bridge when I saw a fox. It just surprised me because I didn't think there were many foxes in Texas. It stopped for a second in the middle of the bridge and had a very distinct outline against the street lights.

I had one encounter while running at night with a skunk. I really couldn't tell what was going on at first, but it was a skunk running backwards at me with it's behind facing me. It was really dark and I couldn't tell what was going on, it really looked like a leprechaun was running towards me. Once I passed him, I could tell it was a skunk. That was my one and only encounter with a skunk.

My biggest encounter with an opossum was coming home to a 2nd floor apartment. Little did I know there was an opossum hanging around my front door. As I went up the steps, he looked at me and then jumped off the stairs, about 10-12 feet off and scampered away.

I've had two encounters with coyotes. We have a pack of them living near us, and you can hear them doing really creepy howls many nights, especially in the summer. I was walking my dog one night and ran into a solitary coyote on two occasions. Each time, they've run away immediately. The only thing that really surprised me was how quiet they were. They were 4-5 times the size of my dog, running at full speed, at literally you could not hear a sound at all. I only spotted them through sight.

The only other cool thing was having a bald eagle fly through the playground when we were there with my daughter. When I used to live in Louisiana, we had many encounters with alligators. Most seemed pretty friendly.

Old 05-05-2019, 04:51 AM

18,433 posts, read 7,291,931 times
I don't know if this counts but I see deer frequently when out running, frequently from less than 10 yards away.

Old 05-05-2019, 01:16 PM

59,113 posts, read 42,829,935 times
A while back I had a 5' alligator sunning itself next to my car in the driveway, got me in the habit of being a bit more watchful on early AM waks around the neighborhood.

Old 05-06-2019, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
A while back I had a 5' alligator sunning itself next to my car in the driveway, got me in the habit of being a bit more watchful on early AM waks around the neighborhood.
yeah, someone told me and I forget who, that you shouldn't really go out and work in your yard, until the dew dries off due to the snakes and alligators? I don't know what the dew has to do with it though?

Old 05-06-2019, 01:58 PM

59,113 posts, read 42,829,935 times
Quote:
yeah, someone told me and I forget who, that you shouldn't really go out and work in your yard, until the dew dries off due to the snakes and alligators? I don't know what the dew has to do with it though?

The one in my driveway was there in the afternoon, long after the dew had dried. What sticks in my head, and I've seen it in a few different 'nature' shows, is they say for the first 20'-30' feet, an alligator can outrun any man, that and that the advice to run a zig-zag path as they can't follow is an old wives' tale. It seems your best bet is getting their mouth closed, the muscles that open it are much weaker than the ones that close it.

I don't know that they're all that aggressive towards humans, there's a city park not far from me that has a good sized lake with a sizeable alligator population, I'm sure steps would have been taken to change that if they created many problems. I feel more threatened by people texting as they drive.

Old 05-07-2019, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
The one in my driveway was there in the afternoon, long after the dew had dried. What sticks in my head, and I've seen it in a few different 'nature' shows, is they say for the first 20'-30' feet, an alligator can outrun any man, that and that the advice to run a zig-zag path as they can't follow is an old wives' tale. It seems your best bet is getting their mouth closed, the muscles that open it are much weaker than the ones that close it.

I don't know that they're all that aggressive towards humans, there's a city park not far from me that has a good sized lake with a sizeable alligator population, I'm sure steps would have been taken to change that if they created many problems. I feel more threatened by people texting as they drive.
I'm certain you get used to seeing them, however, if I lived there, and I never would...and saw one for the first time, I'd probably have a heart attack. I don't like Florida...at all....way too many people....and too many alligators, big snakes, spiders, etc....they say the snakes are getting way out of hand....interbreeding and all....

have you seen any?

Old 05-07-2019, 08:27 AM

15,140 posts, read 12,270,071 times
Quote:
I'm certain you get used to seeing them, however, if I lived there, and I never would...and saw one for the first time, I'd probably have a heart attack. I don't like Florida...at all....way too many people....and too many alligators, big snakes, spiders, etc....they say the snakes are getting way out of hand....interbreeding and all....

have you seen any?

I'm way done with jungle/swamp environments and critters too. I like my high desert. Mountain lions are quite enough with the occasional bear. Gators and pythons are to much. Swamps and horses don't mix well either and I like my horses.

I know how a horse reacts to a cat. Can't imagine a huge snake or big gator. OK, we has a rodeo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or