Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2018, 04:34 PM

12,773 posts, read 14,974,016 times

Advertisements

I don't think I said in my OP, but I'm in Southern California and this coyote I've seen is the VERY 1st time I've seen any wild animal on the loose. (The zoos are the only other times I've seen them in person.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonesuch View Post
At this time of year, I'm more concerned about the bears than the coyotes. This is the time when bears emerge from hibernation, hungry and often with cubs to protect.
In my area of CA, I'm pretty positive that I'll never see any bears on the loose. Wolves...don't know...quite possibly, like the coyote I saw 1x. There have been a few more coyote sightings in my city since I saw the one I saw.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2018, 04:47 PM

4,569 posts, read 5,670,073 times
Post Our black bears will sometimes steal carcasses from coyotes, otherwise the two do not interact much

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
In my area of CA, I'm pretty positive that I'll never see any bears on the loose. Wolves...don't know...quite possibly, like the coyote I saw 1x. There have been a few more coyote sightings in my city since I saw the one I saw.
The Eastern coyotes found in ME/VT/NH are about twice the size of Western coyotes, and during the winter they will often hunt bigger game (e.g. whitetail) in packs. More a threat to livestock and pets than humans, but they are an invasive species so I do what I can to reduce their numbers.

We have a lot of bears here, and with adult males coming in at 250-550 pounds (generally bigger than west coast bears), they're not shy about taking what they want.

Old 04-02-2018, 04:58 PM

82 posts, read 105,079 times
Quote:
The Eastern coyotes found in ME/VT/NH are about twice the size of Western coyotes, and during the winter they will often hunt bigger game (e.g. whitetail) in packs. More a threat to livestock and pets than humans, but they are an invasive species so I do what I can to reduce their numbers.

We have a lot of bears here, and with adult males coming in at 250-550 pounds (generally bigger than west coast bears), they're not shy about taking what they want.
They say that the coyotes of northern New England are coyote-wolf hybrids, which explains their large size and makes them a bit more dangerous.

Old 04-03-2018, 05:10 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,262,451 times
Quote:

wow, 550 pounds? Lord!

Old 04-03-2018, 07:42 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,793,239 times
They are common here in Michigan. It is a rare month we do not see one and a rare night we do not hear one. In some places hunters slaughter them in droves and stack them up in piles like firewood. They are definitely a problem. They do help control the deer which are also a problem, but I think they prefer to rummage through trash over actually hunting.

Old 04-03-2018, 10:49 AM

13,284 posts, read 8,449,930 times
Camped up in Maine. A momma moose and her calf were 10 yards from our site. Gawd awful odor they have. (It was summer time) . The ranger told us to relocate as the moose can and will protect her young if she thinks we are intruding. We packed upreal quick!

Our other place was on the Appalachian trail. Brown bear got into our food supply while we were off on a hike. We got back and out tent and spot was in disarray. Dern thing was snoozing ...we left our stuff and called down to the ranger. He brought his crew up to help us get the area cleaned up. By then the bear had moved on. I'm just thankful we weren't there when the bear was scavanging....

Old 04-03-2018, 12:26 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,028,651 times
I see coyotes in my neighborhood all the time and I live in urban Las Vegas. Usually at night in the summer when it's too hot to walk the dogs during the day. I used to live in rural Minnesota and I saw all sorts of creatures. Most unusual was a lynx one night when I was on my way to work. Saw a bear walking across the road once too.

Went on a business trip to Montana once. I took a little detour on my route from Helena to Missoula to go to Hamilton. I stopped for a moose and her calf in the road and the calf came right up to the car and stuck it's head in the window! Closest I have ever been to a moose. I could have touched it!

Old 04-03-2018, 01:21 PM

82 posts, read 105,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
I see coyotes in my neighborhood all the time and I live in urban Las Vegas. Usually at night in the summer when it's too hot to walk the dogs during the day. I used to live in rural Minnesota and I saw all sorts of creatures. Most unusual was a lynx one night when I was on my way to work. Saw a bear walking across the road once too.

Went on a business trip to Montana once. I took a little detour on my route from Helena to Missoula to go to Hamilton. I stopped for a moose and her calf in the road and the calf came right up to the car and stuck it's head in the window! Closest I have ever been to a moose. I could have touched it!
Your heart must have been racing.

My grandfather stopped for a moose in the road in New Brunswick, Canada and the moose walked on and over the car, totaling it! When I was a kid in Maine, a moose came into our elementary school playground. We kids had to stay in the classrooms instead of going outside for recess. All the little ones were screaming with excitement (we don't pay our teachers enough!). The police had to put the animal down.

Old 04-05-2018, 10:35 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,080,364 times
I tell you what my friend saw once and she called me on the telephone to tell me this . she was out tending her flower beds early one spring and racing past her fence was a fox and then a dear came behind that and she immediately got up and went in the house and Good thing she did because she said the biggest black bear she had ever seen was next . She told me if it had not happened to her she would have never believed it . She said that fox was making sqealing sounds or something close to it . It frightened her so badly she no longer goes near the flower bed without bear spray and her gun now . I know that there are coyotes behind my house in the woods and for the life of me I cannot understand how some people think it is okay to leave a dog out knowing that the coyotes are in the woods behind our houses . I have seen on the news a coyote attack a car bumper and rip it off imagine what they could do to you or your dog ? No thank you .

Old 04-05-2018, 10:40 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,262,451 times
A couple had left their dog out for the night, of course it was dark, and it was two of their beloved little dogs...a coyote jumped over their fence and grabbed the one dog....

all they heard was the poor dog screaming, and when they ran out to see what was going on, the dog was gone, and the other was tramatized.

They checked out their security camera and shared the video on social media.

Every time I see that a small dog has gone missing, it really worries me, b/c even birds of prey will take them.

People should never leave small dogs out in their yards by themselves. Where ever there is wild game, there are always prediters looking for an easy meal...

That coyote was literally waiting for those dogs to come out....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature