Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2017, 05:55 PM

12,767 posts, read 14,959,782 times

Advertisements

Sonic_Spork, wow, that was bold & scary of them to do! My SO would start bringing his airsoft gun, but it looks just like a real gun & he can't bring that kind of thing on a college campus, even if it is closed that day. There's still cameras around.

WyoNewk, thanks for posting that picture. I've never been anywhere out in nature that I knew bears, etc, were that close to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2017, 06:46 PM

19,743 posts, read 22,635,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
Citation from reputable source please.
There is none. Eastern coyotes are larger than the western variants, and they have a mix of wolf and dog in their genome.

http://www.wildlife.state.nh.us/wild.../wj-coyote.pdf

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eastern_coyote

Quote:
n 2014, a DNA study of northeastern coyotes showed them on average to be a hybrid of western coyote (62%), western wolf (14%), eastern wolf (13%), and domestic dog (11%) in their nuclear genome. The hybrid swarm extended into the midwestern United States, with Ohio coyotes shown on average to be a hybrid of western coyote (66%), western wolf (11%), eastern wolf (12%), and domestic dog (10%) in their nuclear genome.[14] Coyotes and wolves first hybridized in the Great Lakes region, followed by a hybrid coyote expansion that created the largest mammalian hybrid zone known.[15]
Pretty successful in holding on even after they were almost totally annihilated. But as for being more closely related to a wolf? Total BS. They have almost as much domesticated dog in their genome as wolf, which some people say could be a reason why they are a little more comfortable around human populations.

Western 'yotes are seldom seen in my area, but you can hear them in the fields at night.

Old 08-30-2017, 07:57 PM

35,002 posts, read 16,964,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
I've seen coyotes get pretty bold but not THAT bold. Those shots should have been fired for effect not in the air. Your husband should have killed as many as possible stone dead! I sure would have. I've had them come in my yard after my dogs and barn cats, right in the yard yipping it up and a nasty tangle with my Elkhound who needed serious vet work after my shotgun did its work. But never after people. THAT is weird behavior. And no, it wasn't your smell. That should have backed them off especially with cigarette smoke.

Next time you have yotes on your place...shoot to kill!! That is all I have to say.
I really think that predators need to be harassed, not exterminated. They cannot be allowed to become too comfortable with people.

Old 08-31-2017, 05:50 AM

28,890 posts, read 30,251,580 times
yes, I have....

It was an autumn day, beautiful, cool and a great refreshing change from the humidity and heat of summer. We lived in the Poconos....

Now I know this is going to sound crazy, but it is a true story.

As always, had decided to take our 3 dobies for a walk up in the fields...as we always did, every single day. Dogs need exercise to and we lived in the perfect place for it.

I would keep them on leash, until we reached the beginning of the woods behind our home. There I would unleash them. they would be so excited, and happy to run up the path that lead through the woods and out into an open corn field, which the farmer rotated crops in. It was actually located behind the West End Fair Grounds.

To the right, bordering the field, was an all summer over growth, and then the gate for the fairgrounds. In front of us, and off to the left of us, was more woods, another clearing and then the upgrade for the mountain which started in that spot....

So, the dogs went into the field, and where sniffing around, when I noticed something moving off to the right...

there before my eyes, stood up, this great huge black cat. It must have been laying down, because it sat up for a moment, and then stretched out, like a cat does when it wakes up from sleeping.

For a moment I stared as it stretched, and couldn't help but notice how as the sun shone on it's coat, it was so black, it shone. A beautiful specimen of whatever it was. It slowly started to walk out, and in those few seconds, I noted how it's tail, was long as it's body, almost, but beautiful....as it swooped downward behind him/her?

All of a sudden, I remembered the dogs and snapped out of it, and screamed, "JESSIE", as she was the alfa, and if she came, they would come. They never saw the cat, thank God! Ran right to me, and I turned without leashing them and we ran all the way back home. (I knew if I ran, it would entise them to follow.

but I promise you, that cat was some kind of black panther. And I've searched the web, and other people have spotted black panthers in PA....

If I were reading someone's testimony before I saw this cat myself, I'd venture to kinda say, "Yeah right", but b/c I've seen it myself, I surely am a believer.

Old 08-31-2017, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
I really think that predators need to be harassed, not exterminated. They cannot be allowed to become too comfortable with people.

I agree, but let me tell you, in the Poconos, you have city people, who are idiots....they insist on moving in from the city and feeding these animals, and pretty soon, wild animals begin to associate people with food.

I used to belong to a hunting club...helping out doing fund raisers and such, and we has a quest speaker come and talk about bears. He told us, that one woman, actually coaxed a bear, into her home with food, with a toddler sitting on the floor. When they got wind of it, they had to catch the poor bear and put it down, b/c they couldn't take a chance on the risk she had created.

Old 08-31-2017, 06:26 AM

35,002 posts, read 16,964,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
but I promise you, that cat was some kind of black panther. And I've searched the web, and other people have spotted black panthers in PA....

If I were reading someone's testimony before I saw this cat myself, I'd venture to kinda say, "Yeah right", but b/c I've seen it myself, I surely am a believer.
It was probably a mountain lion or cougar. One was killed recently on the Merritt Parkway near our house.

Quote:
I agree, but let me tell you, in the Poconos, you have city people, who are idiots....they insist on moving in from the city and feeding these animals, and pretty soon, wild animals begin to associate people with food.

I used to belong to a hunting club...helping out doing fund raisers and such, and we has a quest speaker come and talk about bears. He told us, that one woman, actually coaxed a bear, into her home with food, with a toddler sitting on the floor. When they got wind of it, they had to catch the poor bear and put it down, b/c they couldn't take a chance on the risk she had created.
Stupid is as stupid does. One cannot be sure that the bear will always be docile in or near a house.

Old 08-31-2017, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
It was probably a mountain lion or cougar. One was killed recently on the Merritt Parkway near our house.

Stupid is as stupid does. One cannot be sure that the bear will always be docile in or near a house.
It wasn't a mountain lion or cougar, unless both of those species are jet black.....but just as big. It did not show any fear or run, and it certainly knew we were there.

I'm thinking it was someone's pet, and it got loose or was let loose.

However, as I said, I googled, black panthers seen in PA and there were several other reported sightings, and one man reported the same jet black coat. I'm not saying it was the same one, but several have been spotted.

Old 08-31-2017, 07:59 AM

18,158 posts, read 15,616,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
True. I have heard about this, my ex-husband was originally from rural Iowa, and he told me about this. The two I saw fairly close looked like coyotes, but the larger group was on the move and in the dark, so harder to see how consistently coyote-ish they looked. They sure sounded like coyotes and nothing else, but that doesn't necessarily mean anything.

Hear ya on dicks abandoning pets. That's a bad business all around.

Very much so. The Hybriding has created a new class of predator. Many are not easily told from actual yotes other than size, maybe color variations, and of course temperament. If you want to see one. There is a pic on my profile. I had one as a companion for a long time. However, he was NOT a pet. He was a security animal. And one not to be taken lightly. He was easily seen as a hybrid because of his color. All black. Don't ask how we came to be a pair. Lol, long story.

I have seen hybrids that flat scared me and have shot both hybrids and feral dogs trying to thrill kill my stock. One did face my son and I down one day. We rode right up on him and he turned to attack. He stopped a 45 Colt round from my lever gun right between the eyes from around 30 yards out. Dead bang. A large feral mutt, looked like bull breed/shepard cross...maybe.IDK. Didn't care.

Out riding much further out, toward the line with the rez, I have seen animals that truly brought the hair up on my my neck. Their builds were something out of a movie. Low in the back, high in the front, like a hyena. Pointed muzzles, large ears, VERY heavy builds, and more than one of like animals together. The rez has all manner of ferals in profusion, and what is coming out of it doesn't endear the Indians to me much in the way they control their dogs. But, as I said, first gen hybrids can be hard to tell from actual coyotes. The difference is in size and attitude as often as not.

Old 08-31-2017, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Very much so. The Hybriding has created a new class of predator. Many are not easily told from actual yotes other than size, maybe color variations, and of course temperament. If you want to see one. There is a pic on my profile. I had one as a companion for a long time. However, he was NOT a pet. He was a security animal. And one not to be taken lightly. He was easily seen as a hybrid because of his color. All black. Don't ask how we came to be a pair. Lol, long story.

I have seen hybrids that flat scared me and have shot both hybrids and feral dogs trying to thrill kill my stock. One did face my son and I down one day. We rode right up on him and he turned to attack. He stopped a 45 Colt round from my lever gun right between the eyes from around 30 yards out. Dead bang. A large feral mutt, looked like bull breed/shepard cross...maybe.IDK. Didn't care.

Out riding much further out, toward the line with the rez, I have seen animals that truly brought the hair up on my my neck. Their builds were something out of a movie. Low in the back, high in the front, like a hyena. Pointed muzzles, large ears, VERY heavy builds, and more than one of like animals together. The rez has all manner of ferals in profusion, and what is coming out of it doesn't endear the Indians to me much in the way they control their dogs. But, as I said, first gen hybrids can be hard to tell from actual coyotes. The difference is in size and attitude as often as not.
Interesting story.

Years ago, (and this used to really **** me off as a child) we heard stories of people who didn't want their dogs any longer, drive up to the Poconos, and drop them off in the forests....well, we now have the hybrid Coydog....which are domestic dogs that turned ferral, and bred with coyotoes. And sometimes, it's difficult
to tell them apart.

Apart from the dogs which are stolen, or smaller dogs taken by birds of prey, I've heard that sometimes, domestic dogs are lured into leaving their homes and joining the packs.

We have so so many dogs in America that I fear, someday, they will be running wild and free all over the place posing a threat to humans.

Old 08-31-2017, 09:57 AM

18,158 posts, read 15,616,786 times
Quote:
Interesting story.

Years ago, (and this used to really **** me off as a child) we heard stories of people who didn't want their dogs any longer, drive up to the Poconos, and drop them off in the forests....well, we now have the hybrid Coydog....which are domestic dogs that turned ferral, and bred with coyotoes. And sometimes, it's difficult
to tell them apart.

Apart from the dogs which are stolen, or smaller dogs taken by birds of prey, I've heard that sometimes, domestic dogs are lured into leaving their homes and joining the packs.

We have so so many dogs in America that I fear, someday, they will be running wild and free all over the place posing a threat to humans.

They already are a threat to humans. When domestics are lured out, it is for prey, not joining a pack. Females are quite cannily used for this. Coydogs are a whole new class of predator, and they are vicious, tough and quite unafraid of people.If you have them in your area, be armed, and shoot them stone dead on sight. No quarter. They have NO place in the wild. Same with feral dogs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature