Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-26-2017, 02:53 PM

731 posts, read 678,101 times

Advertisements

Coyotes (common here), black bears, bobcats, elk (both Roosevelt and Wapati) , mountain lion, grizzly (in Yellowstone park), seals, whales, otter, (both river and sea) coons, possums, deer, (whitetail, mule, Red), beavers. I'm pretty lucky come to think of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2017, 03:47 PM

155 posts, read 132,418 times
Coyotes and bobcats are very common in the desert SW

I have encountered them 100s of times around north Scottsdale golfing and dozens of times hunting in the PNW

I have seen black bears in the wild - Grizzleys in the wild ( but was on a boat fishing near the bank both times so zero danger )

I have heard a mountain lion on 2 seperate occasions and that spooked me more than any encounter I ever had. The not knowing where it was jacked up the alert factor of danger for me.

I have been closes enough to killer whales while salmon fishing the San Juan Islands that I could maybe have touched one reaching out if I were so inclined to do so ( I wasn't inclined )

didn't think its a big deal to list common things like seals humpback whales gray whales bald eagles etc etc

Those things pose no danger to humans

Old 12-28-2017, 04:58 AM

18,780 posts, read 18,121,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotifSky View Post
i saw a coyote by my car in the parking lot at college one time...it scared me to death.I just froze and stayed still untill it left
In 2015 there were 15 cases of rabies in coyotes: https://avmajournals.avma.org/doi/fu...ma.250.10.1117. Of course there are 300,000,000 of us in the US and the odds are probably greater of being hit with lightening. Any wild animal that gets too close to humans is a potential threat. Bats, skunks, raccoons and fox poise a greater danger of rabies. I have read accounts of rabid fox attacks where the people attacked felt they were lucky to have survived the attack - keep in mind that adult foxes weigh only between 5 to 31 pounds. Wild animals have to use their muscles to survive; they cannot reach into their wallet or purse. Their muscles are very strong.

Old 03-11-2018, 10:37 AM

34,993 posts, read 16,956,874 times
For more, see Coyote attack in Hasting.

Old 03-30-2018, 04:59 PM

12,767 posts, read 14,959,782 times
OP back!

SO I still never went back to the area where I saw the coyote & that was back in August, 2017. I'll probably go back when it's closer to summertime. What season do coyotes tend to be more active?

What about you guys? Any new coyote encounters/devlopments?

Old 03-30-2018, 06:35 PM

34,993 posts, read 16,956,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
OP back!

SO I still never went back to the area where I saw the coyote & that was back in August, 2017. I'll probably go back when it's closer to summertime. What season do coyotes tend to be more active?
A healthy coyote is probably not active during the day. That's why if I see them out in daytime I assume that they're rabid. And I don't think that's seasonal.

Quote:
What about you guys? Any new coyote encounters/devlopments?
We got a note from our homeowners association that one was seen about 50 yards from my house, in daytime. There was news coverage of active, aggressive coyotes in nearby Yonkers. I assume all were rabid.

I assume we have healthy ones around because the Canada Goose and deer populations are way down, thank G-d for small favors.

Old 03-30-2018, 06:37 PM

34,228 posts, read 18,561,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Coyotes will usually leave humans alone. They're ambush predators and don't normally attack prey larger than themselves unless it's otherwise impaired (a deer stuck in a snow drift for example).

Carry a walking stick.

If you're out in the woods then it's a bit different where you are, what with (four legged) cougars.
They are also PACK hunters who kill many healthy deer, and other large animals every year. Just carry a gun, or at the minimum pepper, or bear spray. No worries.

Old 03-30-2018, 06:42 PM

45,319 posts, read 60,500,026 times
I'd forgotten about this thread. News from where I grew up:

Police Searching for Coyote That Attacked Woman in Brookville

Old 03-30-2018, 10:36 PM

4,858 posts, read 4,794,690 times
Bobcats have almost replaced coyotes in our area and we see them regularly. I had a little face to face with a bobcat a few mornings ago at the end of our driveway. He wasn't all that interested in me, just in investigating the drain pipe that bunnies use. They've also napped on our front patio and in our rear courtyard. We used to see coyotes regularly, but much less now.

Old 03-31-2018, 04:53 AM

28,890 posts, read 30,251,580 times
Quote:
OP back.

There seem to be so many coyote spottings in my area these days, that someone posted a website for those who want to sign up for alerts of coyote sightings can sign up if they wish. I signed up for it. I never any more coyotes since I started this thread.

They also have the opportunity for those who've encountered coyotes to submit this online form. I'm wondering if I should do it. It's NOT anonymous, you have to put your name & address, etc. for some reason.
I wouldn't put my real name and address on the internet, just a warning, not with today's problems.....
not worth it, please be careful
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature