Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2017, 10:44 AM

50,044 posts, read 63,384,408 times

Advertisements

We went to visit our DIL in Colorado Springs. She lived in a gated community that was on a mountain, but still in the city. The back of the houses faced a brushy open area. The coyotes lived and raised babies in full view of the houses there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2017, 12:22 PM

28,107 posts, read 63,427,107 times
Yes... I'm in the city but behind is open space... so wild critters are typical... foxes, raccoons, possums, turkey, deer, etc..

Old 08-23-2017, 01:16 PM

1,110 posts, read 888,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C24L View Post
i saw a coyote by my car in the parking lot at college one time...it scared me to death.I just froze and stayed still untill it left.
I had a wolf in my car, in college...

Old 08-23-2017, 02:14 PM

2,074 posts, read 2,003,888 times
Yes but I am originally from Texas . The worst I have encountered was a bobcat with a neck the sz of a pit bull in Oklahoma but had to help him as he was badly wounded by a car and was out of it and it was snowing- wasn't leaving him to die like that . A BEAUTIFUL but dangerous black wolf with the greenest eyes ever, in my BARN in Ok . A raccoon the sz of a small bear Wilsonville, Oregon ( she killed my cat thats how I know about her ) An Angel Shark in the Gulf outside my childhood home breezed past me ,but it was my fault, I was bored and went out on my board at 5 pm . In south Texas we frequently had jaguars/ bobs/ cougs yep they are still there .. along with some pretty fierce owls

We always have to remember that we are in THEIR house .

Old 08-23-2017, 07:27 PM
Status: "A solution in search of a problem" (set 19 days ago)

34,497 posts, read 16,584,711 times
I scratched behind the ear of an animal chomosomally very similar to a coyote today.

Old 08-23-2017, 07:35 PM
Status: "A solution in search of a problem" (set 19 days ago)

34,497 posts, read 16,584,711 times
At the end of August 2010 I was jogging in a suburban village about 28 miles from New York City, getting ready to mount a fairly steep hill for a 2 mile run. An elderly lady by the side of the road waved me over and wanted me to wait with her for the police. She said a "fox" had just bitten a neighbor's dog that I liked, a rather vicious golden-doodle. The police showed up. By that time I was running late for my evening plans so I shortened the run to climb the hill on a shorter road, and return faster. I saw the animal saunter across the road. I ran back to the squad car and said, "your animal is heading to the brook at _______ (address not disclosed). I asked him to get the animal, and he continued shuffling his paperwork. Since it was broad daylight, about 6:20 p.m. and about 97° out (an unseasonably late heat wave) I knew something was badly wrong, and that the animal was no fox.

The next day a 14 year old friend of my older son was bitten, as was a baby. The animal was then killed, and it tested positive for rabies. I was rather upset with the police but decided not to go public.

Old 08-23-2017, 10:03 PM

4,561 posts, read 5,616,835 times
Default Call them 'yotes or call them coy-wolves, just don't call them late for dinner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
I scratched behind the ear of an animal chomosomally very similar to a coyote today.
Eastern coyotes are closer to Canis lupus lycaon than to Canis familiaris.

Old 08-23-2017, 10:12 PM

4,713 posts, read 3,445,944 times
I actively chase coyotes away...They go.

Old 08-24-2017, 12:05 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,528,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonesuch View Post
Eastern coyotes are closer to Canis lupus lycaon than to Canis familiaris.
Citation from reputable source please.

Old 08-24-2017, 12:14 AM

9,891 posts, read 11,687,773 times
We lived in a mountain resort town years ago. Our home bordered onto a national park. We had a heard of elk sleep in our half acre back yard in the winter. My wife would take a broom out and swat the big bull elk, that were eating her plants next to the house to drive them away.

We live across the street from the best part of town in our small town. We have 5 acres, and see wild life of all kinds on our property all the time. That includes one cougar that was passing through our property. A couple of years ago, I planted several tomato plants. We never had one ripen on the vines. As soon as they were turning red, the deer would eat them as they wanted theirs ripe.

I was raised on a cattle ranch, with thousands of acres of leased land adjoining our small ranch that my family leased for over 20 years to run cattle on. There were bear, bob cats and cougar all over it, and we would see their signs and leavings. However in all my years growing up riding all over the entire property on my cow pony (horse), I never saw even one.

Unless they are starving, I have found over my 85 years, that the wild life is more afraid of you than you are of them and you will rarely see one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature