U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2017, 07:51 AM

12,240 posts, read 5,788,497 times

Advertisements

Have you guys ever seen a crab spider? I never saw one here in Florida until I left the state and came back in 1999. They freak me out but I don't kill spiders unless it's a brown/black widow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2017, 09:48 AM

7,053 posts, read 3,273,586 times
I always try to leave spiders alone too.

However, I did once get a big surprise when I was out for a run in a semi-wooded area, and almost ran smack into a spider almost as big as my hand, that had built its web right across the path, and was sitting there right at the height of my face. I would not have liked to get that spider in my face. Even a non-dangerous bite from a spider that size would undoubtedly smart. A lot.

But, I didn't run into the spider, and so I just went around and avoided the web on the way back.

Because I don't kill spiders unless they are Black Widows in a spot where they could be dangerous to me.

Old 09-07-2017, 10:46 AM

8,748 posts, read 7,470,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
Have you guys ever seen a crab spider? I never saw one here in Florida until I left the state and came back in 1999. They freak me out but I don't kill spiders unless it's a brown/black widow.

I get both the lemon yellow and the white & fuschia streaked crab spiders in my flower beds. I must confess I'm not keen on them because they're sneaky and lurk beneath the flower petals and pounce on only honey bees that come to the flowers. They seem to have a preference for just honey bees, eschewing all other insects and they aren't discriminating about how many bees they kill whether they actually need them or not. I've noticed they can be feeding on a fresh bee kill and if another bee comes along the crab spider will stop feeding on its previous kill just long enough to try to kill the newly arrived bee. A few times I've found the ground littered with dead bees beneath the Echinacea and Shasta daisy flowers, all the work of a single crab spider in one day. It's almost as if they are on a vendetta against honey bees. So I regularly check for the crab spiders every day when I'm dead-heading, watering, etc. and if I find them I get rid of them.

Old 09-07-2017, 02:51 PM

13,991 posts, read 8,406,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
I get both the lemon yellow and the white & fuschia streaked crab spiders in my flower beds. I must confess I'm not keen on them because they're sneaky and lurk beneath the flower petals and pounce on only honey bees that come to the flowers. They seem to have a preference for just honey bees, eschewing all other insects and they aren't discriminating about how many bees they kill whether they actually need them or not. I've noticed they can be feeding on a fresh bee kill and if another bee comes along the crab spider will stop feeding on its previous kill just long enough to try to kill the newly arrived bee. A few times I've found the ground littered with dead bees beneath the Echinacea and Shasta daisy flowers, all the work of a single crab spider in one day. It's almost as if they are on a vendetta against honey bees. So I regularly check for the crab spiders every day when I'm dead-heading, watering, etc. and if I find them I get rid of them.

Hey, I don't blame you, if they're doing that. Very naughty of them!

Old 09-07-2017, 07:13 PM

5,006 posts, read 14,128,592 times
I love jumping spiders. Love the bath story

Old 09-08-2017, 08:13 AM

16,445 posts, read 13,572,456 times
I've always liked all hairy mygalomorphs.

Old 09-08-2017, 09:31 AM

30,640 posts, read 20,775,524 times
nice to see lots of spider fans here. you all may find this amusing-

Peppa Pig episode telling kids that spiders ‘can’t hurt you’ banned in Australia | news.com.au

Old 09-08-2017, 11:15 AM

8,748 posts, read 7,470,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
nice to see lots of spider fans here. you all may find this amusing-

Peppa Pig episode telling kids that spiders ‘can’t hurt you’ banned in Australia | news.com.au

Well, I actually agree that particular episode should not be shown in Australia, considering so many of the world's deadliest spiders are in Australia. I can just imagine some gullible little Aussie kid that saw the episode thinking it's okay to pick up any kind of spider and take it to bed with him because some cartoon character said it's okay.

Old 09-08-2017, 02:05 PM

843 posts, read 672,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
I tend not to want to accept the "fiddle mark" method, because some folks will see a stripe and call it a fiddle, and wolf spiders can have variated striping that can be mistaken for a "fiddle" shape.

Like I'd understand people being worried or over-cautions perhaps if we were in a state known to have them in any kind of numbers...but we're not.

I was fascinated to learn about a new creepy-crawly since moving here. The "sun spider" or "wind scorpion," which is related to the camel spiders they talk about in Iraq...and how they aren't in fact spiders, or scorpions at all. They are their very own thing, order Solifugae. My goodness they are FAST! They are not venomous, but I hear they've got a very nasty bite nonetheless.

We have the sun scorpions in Montana. I catch them and feed them to our bearded dragon. He loves them. They love the storage boxes in our garage. When ever I am in there looking for something, they scatter across the floor. We also get lots of black widows right near the opening for the garage door. We normally don't mess with them.

The Hobo spiders we kill on site. They are very fast, and they like to jump! Some people can have very bad reactions to their bite, which can cause necrosis. I'm originally from Florida, and we had Wolf spiders there. The Hobo is very similar in behavior to the Wolf spider.

Old 09-09-2017, 01:29 PM

5,006 posts, read 14,128,592 times
The only spiders I kill are black widow and brown recluse. Now we have had those wolf spiders in the house, and I don't like them because they are big and jump. if I can't get them out, I will kill them. Not sure if I have seen a Hobo spider.

That does sound like a bad program to show on any TV. I think kids need to know what is harmful and what isn't. I suppose my parents taught me because I knew about black widows when I was a kid, but also my parents bought me those Golden nature books, so I knew what to look out for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature