U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2017, 11:47 AM

15,177 posts, read 12,295,971 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Love your post, SS, AND SO AGREE WITH IT ..

[/b]

Truly that was a good post by SSpork. I would also question the validity of someone who had a photo of a bite from a jumping spider that did any damage at all. The pic was probably of a Fiddleback bite someone pulled off the web. Jumpers are plumb harmless and I refuse to kill them. I won't even mess with or worry about them in the house. During the Summer any flies that get in migrate to the ceiling and sleep after lights out. If there's a jumper around he will find them and have supper.

It's a win win for me. I'll just visit with the jumpers for a spell and watch the antics and then he can clean up what flies I may have missed while I'm asleep. If, and it's a BIG if, someone gets bitten by a little jumper they probably won't ever even know it. A mosquito would be worse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2017, 08:33 PM

2,812 posts, read 1,150,509 times
Thank you Greg. Do fries go with that shake? Shake that booty, lol. So cute. If I were a girl spider I would go for that.

Old 11-10-2017, 01:41 PM

5,629 posts, read 4,300,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
All very scientifically stated and backed up with biological facts and structure of the critter in question. However, I must disagree with the whole "defensive and docile" premise. This is from many times observed behavior and far to many painful stings. Our large species of green scorps here will flat come after you. They will stance out, and then go on active attack. I've seen this in broad daylight, and both seen and had them run straight at me or another a human more than ten feet away. Legs raised, tail up and on the warpath. When you're under a house in a crawlspace and encounter these nasties, they will usually have you before you have any chance for any defensive measure. Thankfully they are not much worse than a honey bee. Though unlike the latter they can keep stinging. and will.

Scorps are on my "fire on sight" list. I've also heard all the "scientific" stuff about Black Widow being shy and more willing to retreat than fight. Also not my personal experience. The much maligned rattler is one species of critter I have observed more than willing to back off, minus the Mojave Green, which WILL attack. Actively and with intent. I don't either know or care what certain critters "see". I just know that they will act with aggressive intent. And the only way to stop them (being as I generally will not or cannot yield ground) is to stop them by force. Be that my boot, my plumber torch or an 1860 Army Colt loaded with #6 shot and 35 gr of fffg. I watched a 6" green scorp chase my ex plumb across the yard one fine morning. Lol, her superior position never occured to her.He met with the sole of my Justins in the end, but until that time he ?she wasn't giving any ground. Put the ex up on the hood of my truck.

So. I submit that all behavior of various critters cannot be scientifically explained. It just happens, and our reactions are dictated by circumstance. I just know that a Mojave Green WILL attack me. Its behavior is not consistent with other species of rattler. Individual examples of any species of nasty beastie cannot be predicted by "scientific" study. On thing I know for certain...a scorpion in my boot will sting me. As will one who I find myself sharing space under a crawlspace with or even when there's plenty of space in broad daylight in my driveway.

My position remains unchanged. Scorps will sting for spite. Mojave Greens will attack you, Black widows will drop on your head and bite because you are there. There is just no sharing of space with certain critters. Regardless of WHY they bite or sting, they will. And do. the only solution being remove them from the equation. One way or the other. Bombs, whatever chemical warfare. is not effective against scorpions. Certain fumigations will run them out, out it won't kill them. From where I'm sitting, they are born pissed, and get worse with time.

I'm sorry, but this is rubbish. Pure rubbish.

Scorpions don't chase people. Black widows don't drop out of trees to bite people. And Mohave greens don't attack just because. Stop filling peoples' heads with this kind of crap! Please!

- Scorpions are blind. If there is ANY reason they are going in your direction is because that's just the way they're headed. They cant see squat. Their tails are up because they feel threatened, not because they want to attack you. If someone blindfolded you in a crowd and then punched you, would you not run away swinging? That's all the scorpions are doing.

- Black widows build webs low to the ground. Females are the only ones with significant venom (which only 8 people have ever died from), and males are tiny and totally harmless. The females build a web and, if their food source is good, never ever leave their webs. They don't parachute down on people just to bite them. Widows are extremely shy spiders, and spend their lives hiding for the most part.

- Mohave rattlers are rather defensive, yes. They hold their ground, as do most rattlers. To say they chase you is silly. There are a million documentaries on them, and NO ONE Ive ever seen has been chased. Ever. Snakes don't attack and envenomate something unless they intend to eat it. Yes, they can envenomate someone who accidentally steps on one or bothers one, but most of the time they deliver what is called a "dry bite". Google it. They don't want to use their venom unless necessary. So why would they chase a larger being like a human and risk death, just to deliver venom on something they cant nor wont eat? Your theory is blown out of the water right there.

Old 11-12-2017, 06:59 PM

15,177 posts, read 12,295,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
I'm sorry, but this is rubbish. Pure rubbish.

Scorpions don't chase people. Black widows don't drop out of trees to bite people. And Mohave greens don't attack just because. Stop filling peoples' heads with this kind of crap! Please!

- Scorpions are blind. If there is ANY reason they are going in your direction is because that's just the way they're headed. They cant see squat. Their tails are up because they feel threatened, not because they want to attack you. If someone blindfolded you in a crowd and then punched you, would you not run away swinging? That's all the scorpions are doing.

- Black widows build webs low to the ground. Females are the only ones with significant venom (which only 8 people have ever died from), and males are tiny and totally harmless. The females build a web and, if their food source is good, never ever leave their webs. They don't parachute down on people just to bite them. Widows are extremely shy spiders, and spend their lives hiding for the most part.

- Mohave rattlers are rather defensive, yes. They hold their ground, as do most rattlers. To say they chase you is silly. There are a million documentaries on them, and NO ONE Ive ever seen has been chased. Ever. Snakes don't attack and envenomate something unless they intend to eat it. Yes, they can envenomate someone who accidentally steps on one or bothers one, but most of the time they deliver what is called a "dry bite". Google it. They don't want to use their venom unless necessary. So why would they chase a larger being like a human and risk death, just to deliver venom on something they cant nor wont eat? Your theory is blown out of the water right there.

No way. I ain't backing off. I know my biting/stinging critters well enough. I know what a dry bite is and yes, when rattlers bite defensively that is usually how. It's the enzymes in their saliva and bacteria that cause fast moving and serious infection that do the damage. Which s why they don't sell those silly snake bite kits with the razor blade and suction cups any more. Such "treatment" makes things worse.

Our regular Great Basin rattlers are pretty shy, and so are the Diamondbacks. The Mojaves have only showed up here in the last 10 years or so. They were more down by Vegas but have been showing up here. I've encountered two. Both were quite ...ill tempered. Sideways at us, hissing and stopping to coil. They made their route of escape straight through us. The other two types you can almost swear they're cowering. I don't kill them anymore. Almost feel bad for the ones I have.

Scorps and Widows now. The Widows around here are found in greatest numbers around and under structures. They love mobile homes and stem wall houses. One thing I have discovered is that oce a guy gets past the outside edges, you're pretty safe from spiders. The scorpions like the center, the spiders like the edges. Because their respective food sources favor those areas. I didn't say anything about Widows "dropping out of trees." They WILL drop off the lid under a house. Straight down your neck. And scorps will zip straight up your coveralls. The big green ones we have will chase you in the open. I've seen it happen. So you call call rubbish all you like.

I know who's who. My friends and enemies. Very well.

Old 11-14-2017, 02:44 PM

13,967 posts, read 8,379,946 times
I've seen widows drop from above on a strand. There was one just hanging there in the room, in my friend's house once. We rescued it with a glass and a piece of cardboard, and put it outside. Another time one was in my car, and once I got moving, it came down off the sun visor above my steering wheel. I pulled off the road, used my snow brush to grab the strand it was on, and put it out. I am very much inclined to save, rather than kill, any spider. Even widows. Jumpers, however, I actually respond with utter delight if they are ON me, which is relatively rare...usually I prefer a spider respect my space a bit.

Back in Virginia, now, I used to go mucking around in the creeks and wetlands that connect to the Potomac when I was a kid, and cottonmouth snakes WILL come at you, but only when you're in the water. They don't bother ya if you get on land. I got chased out of a creek by one, once. But I don't hate the snek, I mean jeez, I'm the one invading its home. And copperheads, they were everywhere, and the problem with them is just they're so well camouflaged, it's too easy to get dangerously close before you even know it's there. At least rattlers can issue a warning.

Old 11-14-2017, 04:58 PM

3,936 posts, read 1,725,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
I've seen widows drop from above on a strand. There was one just hanging there in the room, in my friend's house once. We rescued it with a glass and a piece of cardboard, and put it outside. Another time one was in my car, and once I got moving, it came down off the sun visor above my steering wheel. I pulled off the road, used my snow brush to grab the strand it was on, and put it out. I am very much inclined to save, rather than kill, any spider. Even widows. Jumpers, however, I actually respond with utter delight if they are ON me, which is relatively rare...usually I prefer a spider respect my space a bit.

Back in Virginia, now, I used to go mucking around in the creeks and wetlands that connect to the Potomac when I was a kid, and cottonmouth snakes WILL come at you, but only when you're in the water. They don't bother ya if you get on land. I got chased out of a creek by one, once. But I don't hate the snek, I mean jeez, I'm the one invading its home. And copperheads, they were everywhere, and the problem with them is just they're so well camouflaged, it's too easy to get dangerously close before you even know it's there. At least rattlers can issue a warning.
https://laughingsquid.com/lucas-the-spider/

Old 11-26-2017, 06:24 AM

1,137 posts, read 620,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlulu23 View Post
Thank you Greg. Do fries go with that shake? Shake that booty, lol. So cute. If I were a girl spider I would go for that.
Man, I just saw a National Geographic special that had a section on the Peacock Spiders. Turns out after the dance, the males are eaten.

From now on, I will think again about anyone asking me over for dinner...

Old 11-26-2017, 03:30 PM

3,244 posts, read 1,549,438 times
I love jumping spiders, and pretty much any other type of spider

I have even captured black widows that were in my house when I was living down South and re-homed them outside, ha ha. They are beautiful with their jet black body and red marking but poisonous spiders should stay outside you know

I am that crazy person that loves all animals, even the ones that a lot of other people get creeped out by. People thought that I was nuts when I stopped the car to get a snake off the road, lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature