U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2017, 09:55 AM

4,197 posts, read 3,383,678 times

Advertisements

Both of these are goals of mine as an avid hiker (not climber, I am not well coordinated at all and try to avoid risk whenever possible). But these three are superlatives that would seem to be high on my list, or that of any hiker, really.

Kilimanjaro: Would not want to call it a "Walk in the Park", as I am sure it isn't, but it seems to be the most popular/easiest to do of these three. Probably offers spectacular scenery, wildlife sightings, takes you to the "Roof of Africa", and could be combined with a trip to the Serengeti Plain.

Chimborazo: This one is actually listed as a shorter hike than Kilimanjaro, but is 2K feet higher (probably shorter but steeper). It says the whole process only takes 2-3 days! (of course, with acclimation to altitude in area beforehand). It takes you a point, that is measuring the earth as a sphere, is the closest point to outer space on Earth!!! That is epic! Of course, I'm sure its somewhat steep and involves some risk, but I feel like as long as I'm in relatively good shape, I could handle it. Could also combine on a couple week trip with Galapagos Islands and Quito.

Aconcagua: The highest point on earth outside of the Himalayas (2nd highest of Seven Summits too), and also labeled as the highest mountain on earth that you can simply hike to (without technical skill). This one seems to take longer (a few weeks, due to the gradual process of adjusting to altitude up there). Probably has its tough moments, but is, even for the common man in relatively good shape, doable. Of course, the trip length is long as is, but as a reward for summiting, could spend some time sightseeing in Santiago afterwards, in addition to checking out Valparaiso/coastline/Chilean wineries.

That being said, all 3 of these look like ones I want to do eventually. What are the pros and cons of each? Any recommendations or thoughts? Which hikes could be used as "training hikes" closer to me (I'm in Florida, great place for a lover of mountains, right? LOL. Family drew me here, and wife wants to be here because of family, and I get that, but at the same time, it definitely does leave me with a constant sense of wanderlust). As far as hikes that could get me more comfortable at very least with bouldering, keeping steady footing, walking on edge, etc. I think at least one that I would want to do before attempting that in the East, might be Katahdin, while on a higher level, one in the west I might use to prepare would be Mount Whitney (would seem to be a logical step, pun intended).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2017, 09:22 PM

3,100 posts, read 2,087,755 times
Those are pretty lofty and worthy goals. Haven't done them myself but Kilimanjaro is on my list. Have you done much hiking at the higher altitudes? It's a whole different ball game and I've found no good way to train for it myself. Acclimation seems to take me longer than I plan on! Just got back from RMNP where we focused on hikes above 13,000. Even being in good shape I found them to be brutal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature