U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2017, 03:41 PM

11,115 posts, read 15,954,287 times

Advertisements

Spiders and Wasps (I actually hyperventilate if one comes near me).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2017, 05:27 PM

27,091 posts, read 6,884,296 times
Thanks for the info

What kind of salve???

The nickname(along w/several other poisonous species)originated from crates of Central/South American bananas, their mode of original transportation to the US. I had a friend in Florida requiring 2 surgeries after he was bitten.
Without proper treatment, you can lose a limb. He almost did.

I used a salve to suck out the venom, even then my hand was throbbing and swollen for several days.[/quote]

Old 10-11-2017, 12:53 PM

35,391 posts, read 34,806,034 times
I'm only afraid of surprises: snakes, bears, alligators, dogs, hawks, men...jumping out of some woods right in front of me when I wasn't expecting to see them. I can't walk that well and I certainly can't run.

But, you know what really scares me is the idea of Avian Flu mutating since I like photographing birds.

Old 10-12-2017, 09:53 AM

37,906 posts, read 27,251,741 times
None. Some white lipped peccaries that tree'd me in the osa had me nervous once, but that was more cause I had to drop my camera bag to get up a buttress.

Old 10-12-2017, 11:50 AM

16,833 posts, read 14,722,123 times
People.

Old 10-12-2017, 12:49 PM

15,130 posts, read 12,267,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbiz1 View Post
Ditto on the BR spider, I've been bitten.
Otherwise known as banana spiders, they are quick and merciless.
Very painful bite, the poison works its' way inward/becomes infected.

Call them fiddlebacks. Never tangled with one. Had more than one Black Widow bite though. The first was the worst. Joints on fire, horrible nausea, dizzy, hard to breathe and the bite site festered and left a decent scar as well. Felt like someone put a cigarette out on me when the critter glommed on. Good sized spider. I went to the hospital after a couple days but they told me it was too late to worry about antivenom. Gave me something for pain and nausea and I just rode it out. Took about four days before I felt reasonably functional.

And I was young, strong and healthy that first go. The very young or very old or otherwise unhealthy I can see a Widow bite being a VERY serious issue. The fiddleback is a hemotoxic venom. Destroys soft tissue. Widows primary venom is neurotoxic but has a hemotoxic element that softens up prey for dinner time. Both these spiders I have a state of declared war with. Wherever I find them they die. Fiddlebacks are not very common around here though we do have them. The state does not list them as indigenous. Widows are as common as grass. They are everwhere.

If both were on the endangered species list I would do my level best to expedite extinction. Mosquitos, ticks and bed bugs also qualify in that regard. Some critters have no reason for existence. The latter bloodsucker types are some such. I'm not one of those that feel all creatures have a role to fill of any useful purpose. I'm not afraid of any particular critter, but some disgust me enough to cause a reflex recoil reaction.

Old 10-13-2017, 01:31 AM

7 posts, read 3,043 times
I hate all type insects. Specially have phobia for snake.

Old 10-13-2017, 07:31 AM

30,313 posts, read 20,645,892 times
i can't think of any.
hornets would be the closest, but i don't freak out over them, just stay away.

Old 10-14-2017, 02:57 PM

304 posts, read 164,017 times
[I really hate to say it, and don't express this much where I live because most people in Colorado are "dog people" but I feel similarly about dogs. I know how potentially dangerous they can be. I prefer the big mellow fluffy ones (Newfoundlands are my favorite sort) and I'm not freaked out by any and every dog. But I'm aware of them, I like to know their owner has them under control on a leash. I don't care for small dogs because they're so snappy and nervous and high strung most of the time, and I really don't like aggressive breeds unless it is obvious that they're well trained and controlled.

Frankly I view other people's dogs like I view other people's children. When not properly taught, supervised, and under control, they can be a nuisance at best and a menace at worst. I'm not a fan.

I work in a small non kill animal centre here in England and youre right Newfoundlands are about as gentle as dogs can get.Can make good guards if needed though.We had one there for several months,as obviously we had to find him a suitable home and he was so relaxing and gentle.You see a few around here being walked.

Small dogs are often vicious,currently we have a Shihtzu growls soon as he sees me.a case of small dog syndrome.Chihuahuas and Jack Russells are probably the two breeds that snap the most.

There arent really such things as aggressive breeds,theyre aggressive individuals either through being trained like that or worse being abused or more often than not badly bred.In other words breeding from dogs with unstable temperaments.Properly bred and brought up Pit Bulls,Rotties,Chows,German Shepherds and others are no more dangerous than other breeds.

Last edited by Ian Loves Dogs; 10-14-2017 at 03:05 PM..

Old 10-14-2017, 03:15 PM

304 posts, read 164,017 times
Wasps,they even make my late summer miserable.The ones here in Britain are as aggressive as you can get. Twice in the last 4 years mated Queens have woken up inside here.Get in here they die,no chances just killed.

Bees,more a fear of a swarm coming for me than anything thats happened.A friend of mine keeps them and while i admire what she does on the rare occasions(Cos of the bees) i go to her house all the windows have to stay shut.When i was out in Central America i saw Africanised Bees,just made me go into a cold sweat.Saw Snakes,Scorpions,Ants,Monkeys,Birds all sorts and didnt even really go in the rainforest.

This is Britains latest invader only seen for certain 3 times What does an Asian Hornet look like and what should I do if I come across one? - Somerset Live

Made me shiver just to look at the picture
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature