U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 10-14-2017, 03:20 PM
 
Location: Nantahala National Forest, NC
27,091 posts, read 6,884,296 times
Reputation: 30347

Advertisements

Do Newfies do well with cats??


Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Loves Dogs View Post
[I really hate to say it, and don't express this much where I live because most people in Colorado are "dog people" but I feel similarly about dogs. I know how potentially dangerous they can be. I prefer the big mellow fluffy ones (Newfoundlands are my favorite sort) and I'm not freaked out by any and every dog. But I'm aware of them, I like to know their owner has them under control on a leash. I don't care for small dogs because they're so snappy and nervous and high strung most of the time, and I really don't like aggressive breeds unless it is obvious that they're well trained and controlled.

Frankly I view other people's dogs like I view other people's children. When not properly taught, supervised, and under control, they can be a nuisance at best and a menace at worst. I'm not a fan.







I work in a small non kill animal centre here in England and youre right Newfoundlands are about as gentle as dogs can get.Can make good guards if needed though.We had one there for several months,as obviously we had to find him a suitable home and he was so relaxing and gentle.You see a few around here being walked.

Small dogs are often vicious,currently we have a Shihtzu growls soon as he sees me.a case of small dog syndrome.Chihuahuas and Jack Russells are probably the two breeds that snap the most.

There arent really such things as aggressive breeds,theyre aggressive individuals either through being trained like that or worse being abused or more often than not badly bred.In other words breeding from dogs with unstable temperaments.Properly bred and brought up Pit Bulls,Rotties,Chows,German Shepherds and others are no more dangerous than other breeds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-14-2017, 03:52 PM
 
Location: North East England
304 posts, read 164,017 times
Reputation: 385
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Do Newfies do well with cats??
Yeah usually,theyre best if they are brought up with them as pups,and a 130 pound dog can easily tread on a tiny kitten.To be honest most Newfies are just really soft and gentle though some unneutered males can be a bit off with other male dogs.

They LOVE water,to the extent as pups they will stand in their water bowl and as adults will dunk their head in a water bucket.They also love snow,just lying in it.They dont like heat very much though,they shed fur more than nearly every other breed but still dont like heat.They literally drop their coats once in Spring and once in Autumn.Some Newfie fur is quite oily as well.

Once past the puppy/adolescent stage theyre very calm,up to then they are a bit wild.Like most dogs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-14-2017, 05:15 PM
BMI
 
Location: Ontario
7,342 posts, read 4,991,058 times
Reputation: 5820
Poisonous snakes
Scorpions
Hornets
Wasps
Grizzly Bears
Poisonous spiders
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-15-2017, 11:06 AM
 
Location: In the house we finally own!
691 posts, read 348,290 times
Reputation: 3118
Crickets and grasshoppers
Large spiders
Any type of bee or wasp
Water moccasins
Roaches
Moths
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-15-2017, 08:18 PM
 
37 posts, read 17,733 times
Reputation: 67
Everyone should be afraid of hippos. They're the animals that kill the most humans consistently. Their size, territoriality, and aggression are a bad combination.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-16-2017, 06:35 AM
 
Location: Glasgow Scotland
15,429 posts, read 13,362,625 times
Reputation: 22702
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayStevens View Post
Everyone should be afraid of hippos. They're the animals that kill the most humans consistently. Their size, territoriality, and aggression are a bad combination.
yes two live just round the corner from me in Glasgow.....when the hell will come across a hippo.. this is a fear of a type of animal , a deep rooted fear like with snakes.. horrible slithery things that are mostly very dangerous...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-16-2017, 09:19 AM
 
Location: NW Nevada
15,130 posts, read 12,267,061 times
Reputation: 13985
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
yes two live just round the corner from me in Glasgow.....when the hell will come across a hippo.. this is a fear of a type of animal , a deep rooted fear like with snakes.. horrible slithery things that are mostly very dangerous...

I never understood this very common deep fear of snakes. To me spiders like Black Widows are far worse. Rattlers are our only venomous species here, (though there are several different species) and it pays to be careful when out in the desert. Especially if your going to sleep on the ground. And the throwing your rope around your bedroll is not true. Complete myth.


We do have the Mojave Greens here now and they are indeed quite lethal. But most of our snakes are harmless and even beneficial. IDK, snakes just don't spook me that much. I have more chance of a sneaky Widow dropping off the sub floor down the back of my neck and biting me (have had this happen) than getting snakebit.


I wouldn't think you would have any more to worry about with snakes than you do with Hippos. Scotland doesn't even have any snakes do you? And if you do they wouldn't be of any venomous variety. If you do have any I would assume them to be small, pond dweller types that eat little frogs, bugs and such. But your average temps up there aren't something that would support much if anything in the way of snakes.


I have spent some time in the jungle, and snakes there do have my radar sweeping at a higher rate than they do here in the high desert. But again, the bugs are far worse. I'm not really afraid of any critters. If I'm riding in the mountains and my horse suddenly balks and refuses to go forward that does bring the hair up on my neck though. That means theirs a cat or a bear in the area. The bears here concern me very little, but the cats do. The black bears we have here will retreat from a guy on horseback, but cats have been known to jump both horse and rider from an elevated perch. The horse won't tolerate being in the vicinity of either however and I trust their nose way more than my eyes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-16-2017, 10:53 AM
 
1,409 posts, read 865,265 times
Reputation: 2345
Mice and rats
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-16-2017, 12:17 PM
 
Location: Glasgow Scotland
15,429 posts, read 13,362,625 times
Reputation: 22702
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
I never understood this very common deep fear of snakes. To me spiders like Black Widows are far worse. Rattlers are our only venomous species here, (though there are several different species) and it pays to be careful when out in the desert. Especially if your going to sleep on the ground. And the throwing your rope around your bedroll is not true. Complete myth.


We do have the Mojave Greens here now and they are indeed quite lethal. But most of our snakes are harmless and even beneficial. IDK, snakes just don't spook me that much. I have more chance of a sneaky Widow dropping off the sub floor down the back of my neck and biting me (have had this happen) than getting snakebit.


I wouldn't think you would have any more to worry about with snakes than you do with Hippos. Scotland doesn't even have any snakes do you? And if you do they wouldn't be of any venomous variety. If you do have any I would assume them to be small, pond dweller types that eat little frogs, bugs and such. But your average temps up there aren't something that would support much if anything in the way of snakes.


I have spent some time in the jungle, and snakes there do have my radar sweeping at a higher rate than they do here in the high desert. But again, the bugs are far worse. I'm not really afraid of any critters. If I'm riding in the mountains and my horse suddenly balks and refuses to go forward that does bring the hair up on my neck though. That means theirs a cat or a bear in the area. The bears here concern me very little, but the cats do. The black bears we have here will retreat from a guy on horseback, but cats have been known to jump both horse and rider from an elevated perch. The horse won't tolerate being in the vicinity of either however and I trust their nose way more than my eyes.
actually yes we do have snakes... but its more a fear of how they look and move... Image result for scottish snakes
Adders. The Adder (Vipera Berus) is Britain's only poisonous snake and is the only snake found in Scotland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-16-2017, 12:42 PM
 
Location: Nantahala National Forest, NC
27,091 posts, read 6,884,296 times
Reputation: 30347
I'm not afraid of snakes either...long ago boyfriend was so into snakes I went snake hunting with him often, to catch snakes, not kill. While he was ahead of me, I found a beautiful orange corn snake and a scarlet king. He kept them for years. Never saw a diamondback while snake hunting.

We have Timber rattlers where I live now...so far haven't seen one.





QUOTE=NVplumber;49835967]I never understood this very common deep fear of snakes. To me spiders like Black Widows are far worse. Rattlers are our only venomous species here, (though there are several different species) and it pays to be careful when out in the desert. Especially if your going to sleep on the ground. And the throwing your rope around your bedroll is not true. Complete myth.


We do have the Mojave Greens here now and they are indeed quite lethal. But most of our snakes are harmless and even beneficial. IDK, snakes just don't spook me that much. I have more chance of a sneaky Widow dropping off the sub floor down the back of my neck and biting me (have had this happen) than getting snakebit.


I wouldn't think you would have any more to worry about with snakes than you do with Hippos. Scotland doesn't even have any snakes do you? And if you do they wouldn't be of any venomous variety. If you do have any I would assume them to be small, pond dweller types that eat little frogs, bugs and such. But your average temps up there aren't something that would support much if anything in the way of snakes.


I have spent some time in the jungle, and snakes there do have my radar sweeping at a higher rate than they do here in the high desert. But again, the bugs are far worse. I'm not really afraid of any critters. If I'm riding in the mountains and my horse suddenly balks and refuses to go forward that does bring the hair up on my neck though. That means theirs a cat or a bear in the area. The bears here concern me very little, but the cats do. The black bears we have here will retreat from a guy on horseback, but cats have been known to jump both horse and rider from an elevated perch. The horse won't tolerate being in the vicinity of either however and I trust their nose way more than my eyes.[/quote]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top