U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 05-12-2018, 01:29 PM
 
Location: The High Seas
7,377 posts, read 13,757,500 times
Reputation: 11758

Advertisements

The animal with the overwhelming sense of entitlement who lives across the street.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-12-2018, 01:36 PM
 
Location: Willamette Valley, Oregon
5,013 posts, read 1,508,605 times
Reputation: 7480
We moved to Medford, Oregon about 20 years ago. Waiting on the front porch was a Black Widow. Yikes!

I didn't see another one in the three years we lived there, but there were rattlers all over the place, but they were Timber rattlers, pretty passive compared to Diamond Back rattlers, I hear those are mean.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-17-2018, 02:05 PM
 
Location: Las Vegas, NV
354 posts, read 263,661 times
Reputation: 816
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
I am not fond of chickens but am deathly afraid of alligators...,
Humans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-09-2018, 07:00 AM
 
Location: Florida
12,146 posts, read 5,741,803 times
Reputation: 25096
Since I was a child I've had recurring nightmares about bears but I doubt I would ever encounter one where I live. I'm deadly afraid of my sister's bird. It's purple & red and I can't remember the name of it but every time I am there and it flies off its perch I duck and scream. The family thinks it's hysterical. Those things have sharp beaks and could break your finger or possibly bite your earlobe off.


I despise roaches but I'm not afraid of them. I don't care for fire ants, wasps & yellow jackets although I've only been stung by those nasty fire ants. They hurt and leave an ugly, itchy welt. They can kill you if you happen to fall into their nest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2018, 08:21 AM
 
9,005 posts, read 3,304,351 times
Reputation: 20597
I'm afraid of spiders. It's a primal thing. They creep me out...just the sight of them. Even the cute little videos of Lucas the Spider puts me on edge. LOL Sometimes I tease that I think the Bible got mistranslated, and Eve was tricked by a spider instead of a serpent. LOL Like I said, for me, the fear is primal.


And nasty ol mice. We have camping property, and mice getting all over our stuff is always an issue. They're yucky and gross.


I'm fond of gators. They always have a smile. I collect alligator 'stuff'. That said, I have a healthy respect for them. I'd never have one for a pet, or feed them in the wild, and I'd give them a wide berth.


I don't really have a fear of snakes. I typically avoid them in the wild...cause I don't want to get close enough to tell if it's poisonous or not...but I don't freak out over them either. My dad used to bring home little green garden snakes, and let us handle them before releasing them into the yard...so snakes aren't a primal thing for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2018, 08:23 AM
 
Location: Nantahala National Forest, NC
27,091 posts, read 6,884,296 times
Reputation: 30347
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
I'm afraid of spiders. It's a primal thing. They creep me out...just the sight of them. Even the cute little videos of Lucas the Spider puts me on edge. LOL Sometimes I tease that I think the Bible got mistranslated, and Eve was tricked by a spider instead of a serpent. LOL Like I said, for me, the fear is primal.


And nasty ol mice. We have camping property, and mice getting all over our stuff is always an issue. They're yucky and gross.


I'm fond of gators. They always have a smile. I collect alligator 'stuff'. That said, I have a healthy respect for them. I'd never have one for a pet, or feed them in the wild, and I'd give them a wide berth.


I don't really have a fear of snakes. I typically avoid them in the wild...cause I don't want to get close enough to tell if it's poisonous or not...but I don't freak out over them either. My dad used to bring home little green garden snakes, and let us handle them before releasing them into the yard...so snakes aren't a primal thing for me.

What is it that spiders do that's so terrifying??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2018, 08:36 AM
 
30,313 posts, read 20,645,892 times
Reputation: 16307
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
What is it that spiders do that's so terrifying??
when I hear people say they're instinctively fearful of spiders, i always have to wonder - what if they had been brought up in an environment where they were taught that spiders were cool, and not icky or scary?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2018, 12:16 PM
 
Location: By the sea, by the sea, by the beautiful sea
59,111 posts, read 42,823,203 times
Reputation: 31541
What animal, insect, reptile are you truly afraid of...?


The ones texting while doing 80MPH!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2018, 12:23 PM
 
Location: By the sea, by the sea, by the beautiful sea
59,111 posts, read 42,823,203 times
Reputation: 31541
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
I am not fond of chickens but am deathly afraid of alligators...,

I had a 5' one in my driveway last summer, they really look different when not confined.

Look like nothing other than a real dinosaur.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2018, 12:52 PM
 
Location: Nantahala National Forest, NC
27,091 posts, read 6,884,296 times
Reputation: 30347
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
I had a 5' one in my driveway last summer, they really look different when not confined.

Look like nothing other than a real dinosaur.

Oh very prehistoric looking....they move SO fast and are so very dangerous in my mind. Never would I live in FL near any freshwater ponds etc. as the recent poor woman did, losing her life to an alligator. Can you imagine what was going through her mind...absolutely terrifying.

I'm not happy seeing them in a zoo either.

I want them to survive but not near me.....moved from the coast of SC, where there are alligators, back to the NC mountains where there are none...and where I belong...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top