U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2018, 01:38 PM

5,721 posts, read 13,924,077 times

Advertisements

You can put me in the boat with the folks that hate spiders. I got bit by a black widow back in December. I'm just now getting over it. The burn and the sore and the pain has been extreme. I couldn't sleep in a bed as the pain in my shoulder was so bad. I'm still sleeping, if you want to call it that, in a chair. I hate spiders. I'd rather face snakes or wild animals than have a spider on me. And in the FWIW, we have brown recluse spiders here. I have 3 locations on my legs where the meat has gone to rot from the recluse spider bite. It makes a real nasty looking hole that grows back brown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2018, 01:42 PM

59,111 posts, read 42,823,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Oh very prehistoric looking....they move SO fast and are so very dangerous in my mind. Never would I live in FL near any freshwater ponds etc. as the recent poor woman did, losing her life to an alligator. Can you imagine what was going through her mind...absolutely terrifying.

I'm not happy seeing them in a zoo either.
Gotta be careful but to me they're fascinating, it's said their brain is the size of a walnut yet they've survived virtually unchanged for millions of years. The one in my driveway wound up taking a leisurely tour of the neighborhood but I've been told that hey can outrun any man for the first 25'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
I want them to survive but not near me.....moved from the coast of SC, where there are alligators, back to the NC mountains where there are none...and where I belong...
I'm on the NC coast, I grew up watching The Undersea World of Jacques Cousteau and going to the NJ shore since the mid '50s, in love with the ocean. I too am where I belong. I love when that happens.

Old 06-12-2018, 01:55 PM

2,829 posts, read 1,933,262 times
We had black bears in our NY neighborhood and routinely saw them in the Smokies raiding trash cans in the park in tourist areas. Cute and fuzzy makes people act stupidly with them.

I’m in FL and the not so cute critters, such as alligators, sharks, snakes give me pause, but I’m brave with the grandkids around. Big bothers me. We were kayaking and two dolphins were playing around us, I relaxed once I realized they weren't sharks, fins are scary popping up next to a kayak. We haven’t kayaked with a manatee close by, our son and the grandkids have. I know they are gentle giants, also called sea cows, but they are so freaking large, I know my first response would be to panic if one was close by.

I had to pee really bad and thought about going on shore behind a bush while kayaking, but decided it wasn’t that bad. We went around the corner and there was a sign: Warning Alligator Area. Now that would have made a great epitaph:
Chomped on the butt, eaten whole because she had to pee, next life perhaps wiser and no more drinking coffee.

Last edited by jean_ji; 06-12-2018 at 02:19 PM..

Old 06-12-2018, 02:23 PM

2,829 posts, read 1,933,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Gotta be careful but to me they're fascinating, it's said their brain is the size of a walnut yet they've survived virtually unchanged for millions of years. The one in my driveway wound up taking a leisurely tour of the neighborhood but I've been told that hey can outrun any man for the first 25'.

I'm on the NC coast, I grew up watching The Undersea World of Jacques Cousteau and going to the NJ shore since the mid '50s, in love with the ocean. I too am where I belong. I love when that happens.
As my dear son said: “Mom, just don’t be the last one when running away and you’ll have no problem.”

Old 06-12-2018, 03:08 PM

4,635 posts, read 4,018,292 times
Just one animal?

Highly improbable that I will ever encounter any of them as I believe they should live where they live and I do not want to live anywhere near where they live.

Sharks, Snakes, Alligators and Crocodiles. There are others as well but I am less afraid of them.

Old 06-13-2018, 03:53 PM

5,629 posts, read 4,289,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
when I hear people say they're instinctively fearful of spiders, i always have to wonder - what if they had been brought up in an environment where they were taught that spiders were cool, and not icky or scary?
Arachnophobia is a terrible thing to suffer from. Spiders overall are absolutely harmless and do more good than harm. By far. They are actually friends of mankind. Without them, we'd be screwed. Learn about them, research them, release the ones you catch. Soon you will develop an infatuation with them, like I did. I used to be an arachnophobe. Now I love em!

Old 06-13-2018, 06:24 PM

4,702 posts, read 2,533,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
Arachnophobia is a terrible thing to suffer from. Spiders overall are absolutely harmless and do more good than harm. By far. They are actually friends of mankind. Without them, we'd be screwed. Learn about them, research them, release the ones you catch. Soon you will develop an infatuation with them, like I did. I used to be an arachnophobe. Now I love em!
Except for black widow and brow recluse, I am on board. Love tarantulas and this guy:

https://youtu.be/VrS6akzR3sk

Old 06-14-2018, 01:34 PM

30,313 posts, read 20,645,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tangelag View Post
Except for black widow and brow recluse, I am on board. Love tarantulas and this guy:

https://youtu.be/VrS6akzR3sk
jumping spiders and tarantulas are particularly cool. i helped pay for my grad school raising and selling tarantulas on the internet.

Old 06-14-2018, 03:43 PM

12,769 posts, read 32,853,952 times
Humans

Old 06-14-2018, 03:47 PM

27,091 posts, read 6,884,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post

I have many kinds of spiders in my house.

We live pleasantly together.

(no black widows or brown recluses)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature