Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2018, 11:30 AM

2,971 posts, read 3,415,987 times

Advertisements

Okay.. the palmetto bug with the round sunglass-like markings on the whatever it is is the American cockroach. That’s the Florida State bird roach lol.

There’s a similar sized one without the sunglasses thingy. That’s the smoky brown cockroach.

Not sure but I think the little ones are German roaches.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2018, 02:59 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,892,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catalina_yucaipa View Post
Big black carpenter bees, Always been freaked out by them since I was kid; not so much now though. They don't have stingers but they are big and have a loud buzz.
They are disconcerting the first time you run across them as a kid

I remember seeing them at my grandmother's shed in Iowa when I was 3 or 4 years old and being pretty intimidated with them after they started to hover in the air VERY close to my face and doing that loud buzzing, lol. Of course at that age I didn't know they weren't stingless. I just saw a bunch of huge bees and that was enough for me.

You would have hated the place we had in Tennesse, it was carpenter bee central. We found out the first spring we were there when I went with DH to sit out on the deck and a big black bee comes shooting out of the bushes and first hovers right in front of my husband then right in front of me. We had these bees anywhere we walked in the yard, probably because of all the wooden decor and fencing.

I solved the issue by taking a bundle of wooden fence posts and putting them together then putting a roof over it. I planted a nice little garden all around it and started capturing the females and relocating them to the new "bee house" area. At first I had to sweeten the deal by providing a bit of hummingbird nectar for them They ended up liking it and staying there...so I had a bunch of pollinators and the only time the male bees would buzz up and check us out was if we were tending the garden.

Old 06-24-2018, 03:20 PM

2,063 posts, read 1,067,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
I am not fond of chickens but am deathly afraid of alligators...,
All of them!!!

Thats why Animal Planet was created!

Old 09-22-2018, 02:46 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,578,168 times
For everybody on this thread (including myself) who are afraid of spiders, can you imagine how terrifying it would be to live here?? https://www.clickorlando.com/inside-...ning-1000-feet

Old 09-22-2018, 06:10 PM

988 posts, read 682,105 times
I'll go with killer bees, or social insects in general. Just so many ways for things to go wrong.

Old 09-22-2018, 09:37 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,689,638 times
Do viruses count?

Old 09-22-2018, 10:13 PM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,265,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanny Goat View Post
If I was out walking and a big Bear or Lion was near by, I think I'd be da*n afraid. I'm sure they could tear me to shreds if they wanted to.

On a smaller level, I don't like cockroaches. They creep me out pretty bad. In Florida, I'd yell for my husband to come get it out of my sight, those flying ones, palmetto bugs. Once in a while one would get in through the fireplace. Big spiders-- not fond of them either.
I hear you on bears....I got way too close once, about 25 or 30 feet away and I just froze,
thinking it could easily kill me if it wanted to, no way I could have stopped it.

Hate roaches, and yeah Florida is bad.

Also get freaked out by rattlers, when I walking on a a path in the desert SW
I’m always looking 10 feet ahead ....looking out for rattle snakes.
Scorpions too...they are scary.

Old 09-22-2018, 10:34 PM

10,350 posts, read 13,922,565 times
Not a fear, but I find centipedes and millipedes to be disgusting. That's what I dread about visiting tropical places.

Old 09-23-2018, 11:41 AM

24,509 posts, read 24,184,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
I wouldn't quite go quite so far as to say I'm afraid of them, but I'm very wary of wolf spiders. They live in and around docks and boats.

I have a dock and boat.
Wolf spiders like the overhangs of pools too. They freak me out.

Afraid of? Most any snake besides a black racer or garden snake.

Old 09-23-2018, 11:50 AM

27,074 posts, read 11,839,154 times
I'm STILL terrified of alligators. That'll never change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature