U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2017, 01:42 PM

13,940 posts, read 8,347,156 times

Advertisements

My personal foe seems to be yellowjackets. I've had, on FOUR occasions, one come pelting into a barely open car window and land in my lap. Three of those times I was driving, and had to get off the road quick before I wrecked my car. Oddly I was not stung on these occasions, but it was terrifying.

In general I have a sort of horror about swarming insects. Even flies around something nasty outside, if there is a swarm of them, that really bothers me. I think maybe this is a trigger from when I was a small child (Mom says I was about 2, so I'm surprised that I remember it) and I was on a balcony at our apartment, and ants swarmed all over me and were biting me. I was screaming and she was on the phone trying to ignore me and wrap up her call, but eventually my Mom rescued me by hauling me into the shower.

I am not fond of crickets, either. I once went to put on my shoe, and there was a cave cricket in it, and I'll never forget how its squirming body felt against my foot. Ugh. *shudder*
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2017, 02:09 PM

15,130 posts, read 12,267,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Praline View Post
Probably everything that all of you have already named but fortunately, I don't have live near or come across many of them. For me, it would definitely be rats and raccoons.

Awww, coons are seriously cool. We hve a lot of them here and I have NEVER had them be a nuisance. They've stopped in to visit, used my big cottonwood for a motel for a day or two, drove the dogs a bit zerko since that cottonwood is in the smack center of the dog run (figure that one out??) But they're just kinda like good natured saddle tramps. Just passing through. Matter of fact, non of my neighbors far or near have ever had any issues with the raccoons. I've had them walk not 6 foot in front of me on move on day and we never paid each other any mind. Just a friendly "happy trails pard" and on we go.
REAL rats we don't have. Like wharf rats or NYC sewer rats. But I can see my wildlife treaty being amended to shoot on site for them.

We just have the big fluffy pack rats that look sorta like hampsters. They aren't a general nuisance either. Their quite docile and they stay out of my house and out of my grain bins. At least in terms of bold infestation. They may sneak off with a mouthful here and there but that's ok. I don't consider them vermin at all. Unlike mice that I will mercilessly booby trap or point the snakes and barn cats too with standing orders to eat hearty.

And the snakes are better at their job. They ask nothing in return except safe passage through my place (granted to all but rattlers) and unlike the cats, the mere presence of a snake seems to send all rodentious vermin looking for life elsewhere. The snakes will find them where they live. Down a hole, under the house, under the feed barrels, while cats are generally lazy and wait for targets of opportunity, and also demand to be fed and watered and seem to think their presence graces us.

Old 09-21-2017, 03:50 PM

27,091 posts, read 6,880,207 times
A black bear near me recently mauled a woman walking to her mailbox. Broke both arms, both legs. Poor lady.

I love to watch them but always on alert...life and bears can turn on a dime.

[/b]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Yes, Kodiak Island, AK. Black bears can kill you too, but are typically not aggressive. I give them a wide berth though.

Old 09-21-2017, 08:43 PM

878 posts, read 517,402 times
Default Japanese Giant Hornet

I remember hearing these giant hornets buzzing loudly through the sky in Japan and being extremely wary of them. The sound alone is enough to get your attention, but when you see one fly by it's scary as heck when you're a kid.

Length: up to 1.8"
Stinger is up to 1/4" long
Wingspan 2.5"
Flies at a speed of 25 mph
The most dangerous animal in Japan, with 20-30 annual fatalities.

Interesting short article explains how other bees defend the hive from these marauders
https://ourplnt.com/japanese-giant-h...-giant-hornet/

Vs Africanized honeybee.

Old 09-21-2017, 09:50 PM

10,734 posts, read 7,045,871 times
Man, the only species that knowingly maims and kills others

That's why I legally carry a gun

Old 09-21-2017, 10:21 PM

10,492 posts, read 8,499,503 times
Crocodiles are creepy looking to me and I have scary dreams about them, but I'm not "truly afraid of them". There are no crocs in Sydney, so I don't think they'd affect my life or anything.

Cockroaches are the animals I truly CANNOT stand. I don't think it's fear, but more hate and disgust. I really loathe them and wish they didn't exist.

Old 09-22-2017, 12:49 AM

1,758 posts, read 706,132 times
Rats, cuz I've always lived in the inner city & they're plentiful & gross, especially when being seen in places one doesn't expect, like on telephone wires or scaling a bleedin' bldg. They'd be dangerous if bitten. And, I've read too many stories about them eating toes & feet of babies when climbing into their cribs... of course there are usually crack/meth addicted parents involved, but still...

Anything that scurries in front of me makes me scream out loud. So, add centipedes to that list.

And, dogs. I'm scared or annoyed by most of them, not to mention allergic & hate when strangers walking their dogs on leashes let them come over to me, always saying something stupid like, "He just wants to visit". Well, not everyone wants dog saliva or hair on them & why am I always dressed in a suit & they attempt to jump on me... I hate it & I'm always afraid of being bitten. The sound of a bark goes right through me... I still jump 10-ft.

I've seen packs of them maul children 5-6 times, when I was a child, including having been present when 2 siblings were mauled & bitten in the face... both needed to go to the hospital. I've also seen several horrendous dog fights in the middle of the street, while waiting for busses... happens when you live in the inner city... & have seen pitbulls & Dobermans & Rottweilers go after each other & not stop... of course, always being walked sans leash. It's horrible to see. Perhaps it's left such an imprint as I was a child & felt helpless, but I don't trust them to this day & really don't enjoy being around them, unless they're 1 of those giant, gentle breeds that you can sleep on & watch a movie... like an English Sheepdog.

Thinking about it, I suppose it's the bad dog owners I don't like. I'm just afraid of their untrained dogs they keep screeching at.

Old 09-22-2017, 05:48 AM

3,203 posts, read 1,942,626 times
Definitely ticks. Horrible monsters.

Old 09-22-2017, 05:56 AM

2,692 posts, read 2,511,237 times
I guess a polar bear since I will never go to Alaska and if one drops down to MT/WY or ID I would fear it, more so cause the world is screwed up.

Old 09-22-2017, 08:31 AM

13,940 posts, read 8,347,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
Crocodiles are creepy looking to me and I have scary dreams about them, but I'm not "truly afraid of them". There are no crocs in Sydney, so I don't think they'd affect my life or anything.

Cockroaches are the animals I truly CANNOT stand. I don't think it's fear, but more hate and disgust. I really loathe them and wish they didn't exist.
One time I went to Florida for a visit and I was in a small city near Tampa and my friend and I got pizza from this late night hole in the wall place, big floppy greasy slices of it, which are pretty much my idea of heaven. There wasn't much area to sit, and it was super loud inside the place, so we just went and parked our bottoms on the curb to eat our food. Not far away was one of those city-provided metal trash bins, and it was stuffed to overflowing. As I sat, scarfing my hot pizza and burning my mouth, a humongous Florida cockroach came running out of the trash and stopped a couple of feet from me. It stood there, staring at me, waving its antennae. I would swear it was trying to say, "Look lady. I'm having that pizza. You can hand it over nice like, or I can take it." Or possibly he was in some sort of cockroach gang and I was on his turf. Whatever the case, he was a rather intimidating little fellow, and it's a bit uncomfortable being stared at while you eat, so I nudged my friend and we got up and moved along.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Typical.Girl View Post
Rats, cuz I've always lived in the inner city & they're plentiful & gross, especially when being seen in places one doesn't expect, like on telephone wires or scaling a bleedin' bldg. They'd be dangerous if bitten. And, I've read too many stories about them eating toes & feet of babies when climbing into their cribs... of course there are usually crack/meth addicted parents involved, but still...

Anything that scurries in front of me makes me scream out loud. So, add centipedes to that list.

And, dogs. I'm scared or annoyed by most of them, not to mention allergic & hate when strangers walking their dogs on leashes let them come over to me, always saying something stupid like, "He just wants to visit". Well, not everyone wants dog saliva or hair on them & why am I always dressed in a suit & they attempt to jump on me... I hate it & I'm always afraid of being bitten. The sound of a bark goes right through me... I still jump 10-ft.

I've seen packs of them maul children 5-6 times, when I was a child, including having been present when 2 siblings were mauled & bitten in the face... both needed to go to the hospital. I've also seen several horrendous dog fights in the middle of the street, while waiting for busses... happens when you live in the inner city... & have seen pitbulls & Dobermans & Rottweilers go after each other & not stop... of course, always being walked sans leash. It's horrible to see. Perhaps it's left such an imprint as I was a child & felt helpless, but I don't trust them to this day & really don't enjoy being around them, unless they're 1 of those giant, gentle breeds that you can sleep on & watch a movie... like an English Sheepdog.

Thinking about it, I suppose it's the bad dog owners I don't like. I'm just afraid of their untrained dogs they keep screeching at.
I really hate to say it, and don't express this much where I live because most people in Colorado are "dog people" but I feel similarly about dogs. I know how potentially dangerous they can be. I prefer the big mellow fluffy ones (Newfoundlands are my favorite sort) and I'm not freaked out by any and every dog. But I'm aware of them, I like to know their owner has them under control on a leash. I don't care for small dogs because they're so snappy and nervous and high strung most of the time, and I really don't like aggressive breeds unless it is obvious that they're well trained and controlled.

Frankly I view other people's dogs like I view other people's children. When not properly taught, supervised, and under control, they can be a nuisance at best and a menace at worst. I'm not a fan.

But on that note, talk about your bad inner city experiences... I was young and pregnant and living in a rough area of Cincinnati, and I was walking to a clinic for one of the endless prenatal checkups, and a small group of children, ranging in age from maybe 7 or 8, to young teenagers, chased me and threw chunks of brick and rock and such at me. And I was very obviously pregnant, and had not said a word to them but just tried to walk by. Feral children are pretty monstrous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature