Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2017, 08:12 PM

1,295 posts, read 1,183,717 times

Advertisements

Cave crickets, I don't think they actually bite, but the creep me out big time.

Poisonous snakes.

All spiders except daddy longlegs and really teeny tiny ones.

And cassowaries, definitely cassowaries!

Btw, someone mentioned eastern diamondbacks in MD, which is incorrect. The only rattlesnake in MD is the timber rattler.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2017, 08:27 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,736,853 times
Roaches!!!

Old 09-20-2017, 08:33 PM

4,606 posts, read 3,000,886 times
Well, skunks of course.... a skunk can ruin your whole day.

Not at all bothered by snakes, unless they're the poisonous kind.

Old 09-20-2017, 08:33 PM

14,314 posts, read 11,702,283 times
I'm not afraid of anything that doesn't live around here, because why would I be? The chance of my encountering a Cape Buffalo is pretty remote.

Not afraid of any local bugs, reptiles, or rodents. I frequently encounter rattlesnakes. They go their way and I go mine. I enjoy watching spiders do their thing. We have HUGE argiopes in our yard and their webs are amazing.

The only creature that I realistically might encounter that I am actually afraid of is the mountain lion. A mountain lion could really mess you up.

Old 09-20-2017, 09:11 PM

18,160 posts, read 15,628,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Thanks for the information. Will come after you??

[/b][/b]

Very aggressive. they don't retreat. Defense is offense. And as I said,they are quite easy to spot. They are literally green. I hate them with a passion, and will happily kill every one I come across.

Old 09-20-2017, 09:31 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,842,883 times
Snakes. I HATE SNAKES !!!!!!!!!

Old 09-20-2017, 09:33 PM

50,289 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Grizzly and Mt Lion. The rest, not so much. I wear snake gators but snakes don't hunt you down. Seeing plenty of fat rattlers so far this year.

Old 09-20-2017, 09:33 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,630,850 times
Copperhead snakes are sneaky, aggressive and mean. They terrify me.

Japanese hornets can be deadly too.

Panthers and black bears are animals I prefer to avoid.

Recluse spiders really damage the skin when they bite.

Black widow spiders are bad but not as aggressive.

Yellow jackets and fire ants are two other pests. They both attack in droves.

Old 09-20-2017, 09:40 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,630,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gfab1 View Post
Cave crickets, I don't think they actually bite, but the creep me out big time.

Poisonous snakes.

All spiders except daddy longlegs and really teeny tiny ones.

And cassowaries, definitely cassowaries!

Btw, someone mentioned eastern diamondbacks in MD, which is incorrect. The only rattlesnake in MD is the timber rattler.
Did you know that the daddy long legs is more poisonous than most other spiders but they cannot bite you because their mouth is so small or some reason like that. I stopped playing with them after learning about this.

Old 09-20-2017, 09:56 PM

18,160 posts, read 15,628,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Yeah, there is anti-venom for the Mojave but it is extremely toxic.

Eastern Diamondbacks aren't aggressive. In fact there have been studies done showing how populations of rattlesnakes don't rattle or at least not as much as the speculation is that those are the ones that have (nautral selection) survived being around humans because they don't rattle.

I watched a show of a guy telemetry tracking easterns and he was practically standing on top of them and they weren't rattling or doing anything else.

This (see link) is what scares me....even with prompt medical treatment and anti-venom you're facing death and even then your leg or arm is going to be crippled or amputated. With a black mamba bite for example, with anti-venom you'll be fine...not from this guy....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lachesis_muta

Google up some pictures of guys holding them for a sense of scale. They're roughly 50% larger than western diamondbacks and thicker bodied.

First I've heard tell of antivenom for the Green. But even so, the closest hospital that MIGHT have it on hand is at least a four hour chopper flight at top speed from here. Vegas may have it but Reno won't. By the time you may get a dose it would be to late. Whatever it is ain't common stuff like Crofab for a regular rattler bite. Most rattler bites are dry anyway. They don't invenomate defensively as a usual tactic.The bacteria in their mouths and fangs is just about a bad anyway. But with a Green it doesn't matter. A nice charge of #6 shot from an Army Colt is the best medicine for a Green. While they're still ten foot or better away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature