Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2009, 09:45 AM

2,546 posts, read 6,873,009 times

Advertisements

Are fleas mostly nocturnal?

We get some kind of bug that is a flea or looks exactly like fleas in the kitchen. I don't know what else they could be?
I don't know why they are always in the kitchen and seem to be coming from the window? This bs is making me crazy- I can't deal with it. It seems we have tried everything to fix the problem- if it's fleas- the animals have been treated with frontline so now there is no host anymore, right? The pest company has sprayed, and they've sprayed the carpets, he sprayed in the window sill and they are still always around- nightime is much worse then daytime.
It's a never ending problem. I don't know what to do anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2009, 10:36 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,802,767 times
Gnats? Fruit flies? I sometimes get fruit flies when I bring home ripe fruit; you'd think I'd see them in the grocery but I don't. Them being around the window is not typical of fleas, they live on the carpet, floors, furniture, to jump on a warm-blooded host.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 09-30-2009, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
Gnats? Fruit flies? I sometimes get fruit flies when I bring home ripe fruit; you'd think I'd see them in the grocery but I don't. Them being around the window is not typical of fleas, they live on the carpet, floors, furniture, to jump on a warm-blooded host.
I've seen Gnats and fruit flies before but these aren't them, these don't fly either.

I didn't think the kitchen window/kitchen was typical for fleas either and I keep hearing jumping/crackling noise.

Old 09-30-2009, 11:57 AM

1,688 posts, read 8,144,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn07 View Post

I didn't think the kitchen window/kitchen was typical for fleas either and I keep hearing jumping/crackling noise.
I wonder if you have what we have. I haven't a clue what they are - they only come in at night, they're attracted (seemingly) by light. They look like fleas, but they're not fleas (these don't bite). They're flipping annoying. A night with the windows open and they're everywhere - they get past the screens somehow. We get two kinds - one with a harder shell that's like a tiny beetle, and one that's more gnat-like (but flea sized).

I live out in south central TX, so climate-wise we might get the same bugs you get in AZ.

We douse the screens with Ortho Home Defense. It has to be done regularly, but it works. As much as I hate using insecticides... I hate the bugs more.

Old 09-30-2009, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveHorses View Post
I wonder if you have what we have. I haven't a clue what they are - they only come in at night, they're attracted (seemingly) by light. They look like fleas, but they're not fleas (these don't bite). They're flipping annoying. A night with the windows open and they're everywhere - they get past the screens somehow. We get two kinds - one with a harder shell that's like a tiny beetle, and one that's more gnat-like (but flea sized).

I live out in south central TX, so climate-wise we might get the same bugs you get in AZ.

We douse the screens with Ortho Home Defense. It has to be done regularly, but it works. As much as I hate using insecticides... I hate the bugs more.

Hmmm, I wonder if we have the same kind of bug! These are gnat like but flea size (look exactly like a flea) Yes, highly annoying and frustrating!
I don't think these bite either as I don't ever notice any marks on me that look like bites. Sometimes I see them in the morning and daytime but mostly almost everywhere in the kitchen at night. I saw some this morning though

Old 09-30-2009, 12:37 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,405,672 times
We had something similar in my MIL's empty house in Fl. Right by the bathroom window and in the enclosed shower. There would be 50 of them or so..... I'd clean them up and they would be back again the next morning. We finally bug bombed and I sprayed heavy duty in the bath....seemed to break the cycle and haven't seem them since. Definately not fleas tho.

Old 09-30-2009, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveHorses View Post

Do you find that the heat seems to bring them too?
Atleast here- last November <-(when it finally cooled down!) they seemed to have disappeared completely or mostly disappeared then for a few months til about April- then I started noticing them again (which is when it's 85 degrees and above again too)

Old 09-30-2009, 01:28 PM

1,463 posts, read 4,324,281 times
You may have to grab a dead one and put it in a jar or baggie and then show an exterminator. Then they can spray for that bug.

Or you could take the sample to your county extension office. Give them a call and they should be able to help.

Old 09-30-2009, 04:26 PM

1,688 posts, read 8,144,147 times
Quote:
but mostly almost everywhere in the kitchen at night. I saw some this morning though
Your dish-drain look like a battle ground? Your countertop look like a Civil War reinactment?

We're fumigated quarterly - inside and out - and while it keeps them at bay for a period of time (not that long), they come right back too. Mind you, so do the scorpions.

What we have, we only get in if the windows are open, so I couldn't say with certainty whether or not they're around during the hotter months. But if the windows are open and the kitchen lights on and the screens haven't been sprayed recently.... it's unbearable because the damn things have no sense of navigation and continuously zip right past your ears!

Old 09-30-2009, 06:45 PM

2,184 posts, read 5,548,973 times
Quote:
Are fleas mostly nocturnal?

We get some kind of bug that is a flea or looks exactly like fleas in the kitchen. I don't know what else they could be?
I don't know why they are always in the kitchen and seem to be coming from the window? This bs is making me crazy- I can't deal with it. It seems we have tried everything to fix the problem- if it's fleas- the animals have been treated with frontline so now there is no host anymore, right? The pest company has sprayed, and they've sprayed the carpets, he sprayed in the window sill and they are still always around- nightime is much worse then daytime.
It's a never ending problem. I don't know what to do anymore.

fungus gnats?

Google Image Result for http://www.umass.edu/umext/floriculture/fact_sheets/pest_management/images/gnatlife.gif
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature