U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2017, 01:55 PM

2,826 posts, read 1,548,581 times

Advertisements

I don't consider them as my pets. I respect their right to live on the same land I live on. I provide food and water for them, and I don't leave poisons out where they can get at them, but I don't claim them as mine.

I might be their pet, come to think of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2017, 02:41 PM

15,179 posts, read 12,313,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Was just outside to check on the mail when I saw a wonderful green striped lizard along the dirt driveway.

As a child, I might have considered trying to catch such and put him into a terraium, but as he was on my land, I told him I would let him be and just think of him as one of my outside pets.

It is not likely I will be calling him to the back porch for meal times but on the other hand, I am not likely to be laying down poison on my land for any reason (ABC does but that is specific to the pest), hence keeping his home available to him.

So, do you?

Lizards, non venomous snakes, birds are allies, not pets. I protect them, but I don't attempt any interaction as I do with pets. No wild animal is a "pet". None. Zero. Others like the yotes, rattlers, scorpions and such nasty beasties are on the fire upon list.

Old 09-30-2017, 02:15 AM

667 posts, read 313,281 times
I enjoy nature very much. When my furchild died some months ago, I thought I would die too from the loss. And I wanted to. Life without her? My companion animal fur daughter? I didn't think I could. But, since her death, I have made new "friends". Raccoons that chatter at me through the window. Squirrel that sits on the steps with me when I am outside. A skunk with a magnificent tail that passes by and nods to me. Hummers that I feed. Bluejays that let me know when the feeder is close to empty. So in answer to your question..yes. The outside wildlife saved MY life.

Old 09-30-2017, 12:56 PM

38,211 posts, read 34,250,935 times
Had a bobcat stay in the meadow next to camp all of one year. Named him Tommy. He helped me keep sane on days it was kind of slow.

Old 10-17-2017, 01:33 AM

667 posts, read 313,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Was just outside to check on the mail when I saw a wonderful green striped lizard along the dirt driveway.

As a child, I might have considered trying to catch such and put him into a terraium, but as he was on my land, I told him I would let him be and just think of him as one of my outside pets.

It is not likely I will be calling him to the back porch for meal times but on the other hand, I am not likely to be laying down poison on my land for any reason (ABC does but that is specific to the pest), hence keeping his home available to him.

So, do you?
Not pets. They are sharing the earth with me and I respect that. Maybe WE are THEIR "pets".

Old 10-17-2017, 02:02 PM

12,359 posts, read 3,784,512 times
I call the birds at my bird feeders "customers." Non-paying ones, of course. If I see some on my feeder I'll say to my cat, "We got some customers!"

Old 10-17-2017, 02:03 PM

4,287 posts, read 3,058,270 times
No, if they were my pets they'd live inside with me.

Old 10-17-2017, 02:11 PM

1,411 posts, read 1,029,565 times
I feed the wild birds, and Mr. Daynet makes sure that two or three toads in the back yard have fresh water during the warm months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature