U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2017, 11:32 AM

11,195 posts, read 6,116,114 times

Advertisements

Was just outside to check on the mail when I saw a wonderful green striped lizard along the dirt driveway.

As a child, I might have considered trying to catch such and put him into a terraium, but as he was on my land, I told him I would let him be and just think of him as one of my outside pets.

It is not likely I will be calling him to the back porch for meal times but on the other hand, I am not likely to be laying down poison on my land for any reason (ABC does but that is specific to the pest), hence keeping his home available to him.

So, do you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2017, 01:15 PM

3,914 posts, read 1,715,295 times
I have a rabbit that I see around most days and I usually say Hi, Bunny - so s/he knows I see them and mean them no harm. Bunny doesn't usually run off though keeps a reasonable distance for a wild animal. I can throw a piece of food (those tough asparagus ends) toward B without scaring him/her, so yes, I consider her - well, maybe a neighbor. But I have no intention of doing anything to harm or run Bunny off. I lay awake nights planning a veg garden with rabbit-proofing on a low budget.

I also have absolute piles of spiders and while I now and then clean off the webs, I give the spiders themselves a chance to run off - full well knowing the web will be back in no time. Fine, considering the other flying insects I see stuck on those webs.

When I lived in a city and had only a balcony, I fed mourning doves. The H kept telling me those are not your pets, why are you spending your money to feed them? Because the one that eventually came to eat out of my hand brought me great joy.

So most are welcome here, equally.

Old 09-23-2017, 03:28 PM

3,290 posts, read 7,413,128 times
Marvin, the squirrel and his friends hang out in my woodpile in the winter. I feed him and the birds and they provide lots of entertainment for my dogs.

Mama deer and her kids enjoyed my garden this year. Next year I'll plant her a nice patch of Chard away from my food so we won't have to share as much.

Old 09-23-2017, 05:32 PM

405 posts, read 239,688 times
There is a squirrel that lives in the woods on the other side of my neighbor 's property. My neighbor has a wooden fence surrounding his entire backyard. That squirrel will run (fly it seems) along that fence and climb down the fence and run along the length of my back yard to my other neighbor's house to feast at the bird feeder. It's hilarious to watch. There is occasionally a rabbit, deer and recently a coyote. We also have lizards and frogs.

Old 09-23-2017, 06:09 PM

4,702 posts, read 2,534,844 times
Yes. I leave them alone and enjoy their presence. I keep the hummingbird feeder full. I have butterfly bushes.

Old 09-25-2017, 03:45 PM

12,446 posts, read 11,563,499 times
I don't really consider them "pets", but they are under my protection.

I have a few snakes, two chipmunks, tree frogs, and bunches of red-headed and blue-tailed skinks that are given free roam of the yard. The transient critters, like birds, bees, butterflies, etc. are also encouraged to visit. However, I do try to discourage the squirrels.

I put a "bee house" in the back yard for the solitary pollinators to use for nesting. Quite a few of the chambers have been packed with mud for next spring's hatch.

Old 09-25-2017, 04:51 PM

8,313 posts, read 4,785,812 times
No, I don't consider the local wildlife pets, but I do enjoy watching them.

Old 09-26-2017, 09:33 AM

4,832 posts, read 2,491,496 times
They're certainly not pets, but I feed and protect them from predators as best I can. I have tons of birds in my yard because I fill the feeders regularly; I leave peanuts out for the squirrels; and sometimes I even leave dry cat food for the possums, because they eat ticks. I would never harm the vixen that visits the yard, but she's not a pet either, although I admire her beauty and vocal talents (she's very loud!). I leave the spiders alone for the most part, and even the voles and moles, although they cheese me off when they eat my bulbs. I figure they all have to survive too.

Old 09-26-2017, 11:01 AM

2,322 posts, read 1,882,225 times
i have a frog and a squirrel and a falcon .. the squirrel eats from the bird feeder regularly .. the falcon does whatever he wants .. my frog has been around for a long time .. i make sure i find him before i mow the grass and put him out of harms way ..

Old 09-26-2017, 11:27 AM

27,759 posts, read 65,587,794 times
My daughter had a swan and a goose that hung out off the end of the peninsula in front of our house. She named them Quabble and Scorch. It was odd for a goose and swan to hang out together and even odder for them to tolerate a human, especially swans, but they did. She would go out to them after school and they would swim up and waddle around. After a while she could pet them and they seemed to like it. She gave them bits of bread or fruit or whatever form time to time. They would only come in for her, no one else and if anyone was with her they would swim in a bit but keep their distance. They flew off for winter and came back the following year. The next year, they did not come back.

We also had a duck with our chickens for a year. It was a crested Peking duck we think. It had a foot that did not uncurl after hatching and the lady we were buying chickens from was going to kill it because it was deformed, so we asked if we could have it. It was a great pet (duck eggs are really good too). Towards the end of the summer, two mallard ducks used to hang out with our duck all the time. They would graze with the chickens a times (our duck thought it was a chicken). They sometimes spent the night in the coop with the duck and the chickens. We gave them names that I do not remember and they became pretty tame. In the fall, they flew off and our duck went with them. We did not even know she could fly. They took off to join a group of ducks going by and whoosh off she went too. Bye bye ducky.

When I was in late elementary school or early jr. high I had some “pet” foxes. They lived in a hole in the embankment of a very very old gravel pit/dump way back in the woods behind our house. I used to go back and dig up old milk bottles to sell to the local antique store when I discovered them. Eventually they would come out and let me pet them (sometimes, other times they were jumpy). They loved tender vittles (a type of semi soft cat food). I do not remember how long we were friends, but I eventually just forgot about them. Now the gravel pit is part of a subdivision or golf course. There is no way to tell where it used to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature