U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2017, 07:52 AM

41,050 posts, read 15,836,752 times

Advertisements

Here in NW Indiana we have an abundance of small wildlife, even though portions of the area contain heavy industry. I live in a neighborhood near the downtown square of a city with about 33,000 citizens. Even though I live in town, I have frequent wildlife visitors in my yard, including rabbits, opossums, groundhogs, squirrels, ground squirrels, raccoons, and one year even a fox that hung around for a season. I also occasionally see a toad in my yard. Haven't seen any snakes in my yard lately, but garter snakes are common in NWIN.

There are lots and lots of white-tailed deer in this area. The closest to my house that I've seen them is just a couple of blocks away. When I go walking through the neighborhood I sometimes see deer grazing on lawns or eating from people's bird feeders. There are a couple of parks within a mile or so of my house and I see deer in the parks pretty much every time I walk or drive by. A friend who lives less than a mile from my house sometimes has as many as 6 deer at a time grazing in her backyard.

Birds which frequent my yard include goldfinches, titmice, downy woodpeckers, cardinals, robins, sparrows, blue jays, mourning doves, house finches, blackbirds, starlings, wrens, ruby-throated hummingbirds and others I can't recall at the moment. At nearby parks I sometimes see great blue herons and great egrets as well as kestrels and other hawks. I know there are at least a couple of bald eagle families living near the steel mills at the southern shore of Lake Michigan, but I've never seen one. Would love to see a bald eagle in the wild someday.

I sometimes see coyotes hunting or scavenging on the highways or in farm fields when I drive out of the residential areas. Thank goodness there are no coyotes in my neighborhood - yet.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Automotive, Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 10-05-2017, 08:41 AM

12,146 posts, read 5,741,803 times
I live in SW Florida. I have personally seen: manatees, possums, raccoons, armadillos, snakes, gators, bats. However we have lots that I have not seen in person such as bobcats, the Florida panther, coyotes and the Florida black bear.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2017, 11:44 AM

27,091 posts, read 6,884,296 times
Do you take reservations for visitors??

What a varied offering...glad for you.

[/b]
Quote:
Originally Posted by G Grasshopper View Post
I live in the San Francisco Bay Area, northern Marin County, California.

In my own back yard and around it I have seen coyotes, our native gray fox, bobcat, Western gray squirrels, voles, Raccoon, Striped and Spotted skunks, bats, wild turkeys (they are a non-native here, but are common now) Columbia blacktail deer, king snakes, garter snakes, vultures, American kestrels, White tailed kites, Acorn, Downey, Pileated, Nuttall's and Hairy woodpeckers, sapsuckers, Scrub jays, American and lesser goldfinches, crows and ravens, many kinds of sparrows, Bewick's wrens, flickers, chickadees, Oak titmice, Orange crested kinglets, many warblers, hummingbirds (Anna's, Allen's, Rufous, and once a Calliope), Mourning doves, American robins, Cedar waxwings, Black and Say's phoebes, California and Spotted towhees, hawks (red-tailed, sharp-shinned, cooper's, red shouldered), Great horned and Western screech owls, several kinds of swallows, Vaux swifts.

If you go out to the mudflats and wetlands around the bay you can see many more kinds of water and shore birds, ducks, herons and egrets, White and Brown pelicans, as well as leopard sharks and bat rays in the bay. (I'm not listing the fish you can catch or the things you can see if you go snorkeling off shore.) I've also seen a muskrat and a packrat, (Norwegian rats, too, but I try not to see those.) Also Golden Eagle, several kinds of turtles. I once saw a Rubber boa snake out there, too. Going out to Point Reyes National Seashore, you can see Tule elk, Western blue birds, all kinds of sea life at the tide pools and the rocky inter-tidal zone. If you go up to the Marin Headlands, you can see many more types of hawks migrating. And if you try, and it is the right time of the year, you can see Humpback whales migrating off the shore.

I'm sure I've left a lot out. But there is a LOT to see, especially if you want to go out and find it. But even just sitting at home, there are lots of birds and animals. You can open the windows at night and hear the coyotes, the Great horned and Screech owls calling in the oak forest. As with many places, this is a natural wonderland, if you want to see it.

Old 10-05-2017, 11:47 AM

That Sonoran Desert Museum outside Tucson is wonderful...

[/b]
Quote:
Originally Posted by G Grasshopper View Post
Very cool. My mom used to live in Tucson. I always loved going to visit her because it was a chance to get out into the desert to see all kinds of plants and animals I wouldn't see at home. Your list sounds very much like what I saw there, although I never saw a Ringtail cat or Ocelot except at the Desert Museum. (Also never saw a bear or mountain lion on my walks in the desert - but that's OK.)

Old 10-05-2017, 08:04 PM

800 posts, read 259,954 times
NE Minnesota
Bears, wolves, moose, fox, coyote, white tailed deer, bald eagles, osprey, Merlin hawks, red squirrels, chipmunks, racoons, seagulls, crows, honey bees...

Here is just one of many bear encounters my partner and I had while walking on a ski trail in summer in the Superior National Forest. We came on a mother black bear and her two little cubs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8D3WT5JQ9aA&t=9s

Old 10-05-2017, 09:12 PM

11,487 posts, read 13,135,100 times
Bear, coyote, mountain lion, elk, deer, moose, badger, fox, squirrels, chipmunks, raccoons, skunks, bald eagles, red tail hawks, rabbits, trout, salmon, hippies...that's all I can think of right now.

Old 10-06-2017, 02:39 AM

4,135 posts, read 9,461,191 times
Javelina, bobcat, mountain lion, packrat, mule deer, tarantula, rattle snake, scorpion, etc

Old 10-06-2017, 08:40 AM

3,533 posts, read 1,375,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJSinger View Post
Here in NW Indiana we have an abundance of small wildlife,....

The Kankakee River Basin was once the largest wetlands in the country and one of the richest wildlife areas in the world-- but then the efforts to improve agriculture by drainage projects changed all that.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kankakee_River

Old 10-06-2017, 11:38 AM

Wow, what a video
Thanks for posting.

[/b]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinwomb View Post
NE Minnesota
Bears, wolves, moose, fox, coyote, white tailed deer, bald eagles, osprey, Merlin hawks, red squirrels, chipmunks, racoons, seagulls, crows, honey bees...

Here is just one of many bear encounters my partner and I had while walking on a ski trail in summer in the Superior National Forest. We came on a mother black bear and her two little cubs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8D3WT5JQ9aA&t=9s

Old 10-06-2017, 01:31 PM

4,816 posts, read 2,489,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
a few evenings after i moved to New Mexico, I decided to go outside and sit on my front porch. It was dark, so I turned on the porch light, the porch was covered something like this:

http://www.webcamsmania.com/photos/2...4.original.jpg

so i decided to relax indoors instead. they were all gone by morning.
i thought the roaches were big in New Orleans, until i moved to New Mexico. I got used to the 2" long roaches after a while, but it's still creepy at night to come across them in large bunches. my son's girlfriend from New York visited, and she has some sort of insect phobia, so we would have to take roundabout ways to get into my building at night, and sometimes cover her eyes, so she would not see them. she was a bit high strung, we could not even talk about them around her or she got upset.
You know that old expression "Your Mother wears Army boots?" Well, I would be that Mom if I lived where those roaches are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or