U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2017, 03:39 PM

1,758 posts, read 706,582 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
You know that old expression "Your Mother wears Army boots?" Well, I would be that Mom if I lived where those roaches are.
Lol. I can relate. I'm very squeamish, especially when it comes to all things creepy crawly. I still scream out loud when some critter scurries passed me. Once my brother complained & I said I couldn't help it, they scared me. He said, but you don't scream like eek, it's a mouse... you scream like you're being bludgeoned in an alleyway. I need to buy a pair of Doc Martens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2017, 04:15 AM

120 posts, read 52,936 times
Turtles

Old 10-12-2017, 11:32 AM

15,130 posts, read 12,267,061 times
Sheesh, we have an abundance of all manner of wildlife. I see birds that I can't identify all the time that are just beautiful. All the colors of a Crayola box. Same with various types of lizards. Even here in the more urban area I currently reside in we have deer, coyotes, coons, skunks, badgers, kit and grey fox, even bears and mountain lions wander through town on occasion. Hawks, owls and even bald and golden eagles are common to see. I'm in Carson City and we butt right up to the Sierras so wildlife abounds.

The Capitol grounds aren't far from my place and it's quite common to see large numbers of deer there. Smack dab in the middle of town. The hospital campus sees a lot of deer as well. With the large numbers of quite tame deer that hang out in town it surprises me there isn't more cat sightings. It would be a regular grocery store for them. But the cats tend to be pretty shy of being around people.

Having lived most of my life on a very rural ranch the biggest issue I see with wildlife here is people putting out food. Especially for the predators like the coyotes. That is a huge mistake, and far to many people do it. Especially with coyotes. Yea, it's cool to see them, they can be fascinating to watch, but they are NOT an animal you want making your living space a regular hangout.

If anything you need to do what you can to totally discourage them. It's a gimme assumption their motives are not to be your friend.

Old 10-13-2017, 09:58 AM

27,743 posts, read 14,525,178 times
Whitetail deer, moose, elk, wolves, foxes, coons, skunks, mink, muskrats, beaver, flying (and other) squirrels, partridge, grouse, turkeys, ospreys, herons, ducks, geese, turtles, frogs, jack rabbits, assorted other birds and the occasional bald eagle.

Old 10-13-2017, 12:06 PM

27,091 posts, read 6,884,296 times
Flying squirrels are fun to watch...had one come consistently to a feeder with nuts, at night of course.
Feeder was very close to window, so cats were enthralled too.

Old 10-13-2017, 01:17 PM

6,009 posts, read 3,554,907 times
My yard is like a fairy tale today. A chickadee landed on my head. I was sitting right next to this metal ball feeder and it made a pit stop right on top of my head. It made me laugh out loud! He hung from the ball feeder and 'dee, dee, dee'd' at me. So cute.

We also have this little mole who pops up to drink out of the birdbath that I have on the ground. He is so quick... pops up, disappears. Pops up, disappears. His fur looks so silky. I wish I could give him a little pet on his back.

I suddenly have about 2 dozen Robins in my yard, too. They must be moving south. One took a bath and splashed and had fun while I was sitting there. I put cut-up grapes and dried fruit out for them and they seemed pretty happy.

Old 10-13-2017, 05:23 PM

27,091 posts, read 6,884,296 times
You are on my list of favorite "nature people"...

Your descriptions are fun...and yes, those moles are VERY quick

[/b]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicci6Squirrels View Post
My yard is like a fairy tale today. A chickadee landed on my head. I was sitting right next to this metal ball feeder and it made a pit stop right on top of my head. It made me laugh out loud! He hung from the ball feeder and 'dee, dee, dee'd' at me. So cute.

We also have this little mole who pops up to drink out of the birdbath that I have on the ground. He is so quick... pops up, disappears. Pops up, disappears. His fur looks so silky. I wish I could give him a little pet on his back.

I suddenly have about 2 dozen Robins in my yard, too. They must be moving south. One took a bath and splashed and had fun while I was sitting there. I put cut-up grapes and dried fruit out for them and they seemed pretty happy.

Old 10-14-2017, 11:47 AM

6,009 posts, read 3,554,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
You are on my list of favorite "nature people"...

Your descriptions are fun...and yes, those moles are VERY quick

[/b]

We'll be Nature Buddies.

This morning I picked up a tray that I had seeds in and out popped the little mole. He scurried off so fast that I didn't get to introduce myself.

We still have lots of chipmunks out and about. I love those little guys.

Old 10-21-2017, 09:07 AM

30,011 posts, read 18,893,210 times
Deer, elk, moose, black and griz bear, mountain lion, quail, turkey, coyotes, eagles, osprey, geese and ducks off the top of my head.

Old 10-21-2017, 08:55 PM

18,432 posts, read 7,287,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Deer, elk, moose, black and griz bear, mountain lion, quail, turkey, coyotes, eagles, osprey, geese and ducks off the top of my head.
Wolves? I know Idaho has some.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or