U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-02-2017, 12:47 PM
 
Location: Nantahala National Forest, NC
27,091 posts, read 6,884,296 times
Reputation: 30347

Advertisements

We are from such different parts of the USA...

would like to hear what you see in your part of the country...?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-02-2017, 01:12 PM
 
2,787 posts, read 1,524,334 times
Reputation: 11855
Here in western Washington state, in my yard, I've seen black bears, bob cats, Roosevelt elk, deer of course, raccoons, red squirrels and grey squirrels, chipmunks, coyotes, foxes, rabbits, skunks, possums, eagles, hawks, owls, woodpeckers, and various birds at the feeders. At the beach, I've seen orcas, grey whales, sea lions, herons, seagulls, and various other water birds.

I'm assuming you have great blue herons in your area, greatblueheron.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-02-2017, 01:17 PM
 
Location: Nantahala National Forest, NC
27,091 posts, read 6,884,296 times
Reputation: 30347
Great list

Roosevelt elk? Will have to look that one up.
Lucky you to be in one of few states to see whales

When I loved on SC coast, yes...plenty of gbh

Must be very exciting...especially seeing an orca.


Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgardener View Post
Here in western Washington state, in my yard, I've seen black bears, bob cats, Roosevelt elk, deer of course, raccoons, red squirrels and grey squirrels, chipmunks, coyotes, foxes, rabbits, skunks, possums, eagles, hawks, owls, woodpeckers, and various birds at the feeders. At the beach, I've seen orcas, grey whales, sea lions, herons, seagulls, and various other water birds.

I'm assuming you have great blue herons in your area, greatblueheron.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-02-2017, 01:57 PM
 
2,787 posts, read 1,524,334 times
Reputation: 11855
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post

Must be very exciting...especially seeing an orca.
Yes, very exciting. I lived in a beach house for many years, and every time one of the neighbors on the beach would spot an orca or a grey whale, everyone would run out on their decks to watch them. It was always like a celebration when they were spotted.

We'd do the same thing with rainbows and pretty sunsets. We were an appreciative group.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-02-2017, 01:59 PM
 
Location: on the wind
9,585 posts, read 4,260,402 times
Reputation: 32276
Mammals: Moose, black and brown bear (not grizzlies though technically they are the same species...they tend to be farther inland), coyotes, pine marten, weasel (ermine), mink, otter, wolverine, caribou, plus many little guys like red squirrel, voles, shrews, marmots, lemmings, snowshoe hare, beaver could go on. I'd love to claim wolves, but haven't heard any locally.

Marine mammals: humpback, grey, beluga, minke whale, orcas, Steller sea lion, sea otter, harbor seal, harbor porpoise, Dall's porpoise.

Birds: bald eagle, sandhill crane (right on the lawn), hawks and falcons, several owls, quite a few gull and tern species, jaegers, many sea and dabbling ducks, puffins, guillemots, murrelets, auklets and other seabirds, migratory sparrows, thrushes, warblers, nuthatches, chickadees, wrens, ravens, NW crow, several jays.

No reptiles, possibly a few boreal toads or a wood frog.

Oh yes, a great blue heron or two in summer OP! If you come to visit there would be one more.

Last edited by Parnassia; 10-02-2017 at 02:32 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-02-2017, 02:05 PM
Status: "Zoom Zoom" (set 12 hours ago)
 
367 posts, read 196,975 times
Reputation: 323
Unfortunately, I live in an urban area, but every once in awhile a critter will appear. Other then the large amount of squirrels: there's mice, possums, garden snakes (smooth earth), armadillos, small lizards (Gecko), hawks (Red-tailed), birds (Northern Cardinal, Blue Jay, Carolina Wren, Great tailed Grackle, Crane's, and what appears to be some kind of robin that keeps destroying the mulch around the trees).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-02-2017, 02:36 PM
 
Location: on the wind
9,585 posts, read 4,260,402 times
Reputation: 32276
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProtege View Post
armadillos
Now armadillos I'd love to meet. Heard how destructive they are and that they can carry leprosy. Such interesting looking creatures...envy you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-02-2017, 02:39 PM
 
Location: Nantahala National Forest, NC
27,091 posts, read 6,884,296 times
Reputation: 30347
Wow

Another lucky, lucky person....have you seen a wolverine in the wild??? That would be scary.


if you have puffins I have an idea where you might be...use to be a die hard birder....saw them once on a visit and a little minke whale.

You invite, I will come


[/b]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllisonHB View Post
Mammals: Moose, black and brown bear (not grizzlies though technically they are the same species...they tend to be farther inland), coyotes, pine marten, weasel (ermine), mink, otter, wolverine, caribou, plus many little guys like red squirrel, voles, shrews, marmots, lemmings, snowshoe hare, beaver could go on. I'd love to claim wolves, but haven't heard any locally.

Marine mammals: humpback, grey, beluga, minke whale, orcas, Steller sea lion, sea otter, harbor seal, harbor porpoise, Dall's porpoise.

Birds: bald eagle, sandhill crane (right on the lawn), hawks and falcons, several owls, quite a few gull and tern species, jaegers, many sea and dabbling ducks, puffins, guillemots, murrelets, auklets and other seabirds, migratory sparrows, thrushes, warblers, nuthatches, chickadees, wrens, ravens, NW crow, several jays.

No reptiles, possibly a few boreal toads or a wood frog.

Oh yes, a great blue heron or two in summer OP! If you come to visit there would be one more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-02-2017, 02:42 PM
 
Location: Nantahala National Forest, NC
27,091 posts, read 6,884,296 times
Reputation: 30347
Armadillo is one many of us don't have...
Cranes too.


Saw one once in FL....
I had to smile, as he was scurrying fast and looked so funny.


[/b]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProtege View Post
Unfortunately, I live in an urban area, but every once in awhile a critter will appear. Other then the large amount of squirrels: there's mice, possums, garden snakes (smooth earth), armadillos, small lizards (Gecko), hawks (Red-tailed), birds (Northern Cardinal, Blue Jay, Carolina Wren, Great tailed Grackle, Crane's, and what appears to be some kind of robin that keeps destroying the mulch around the trees).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-02-2017, 02:45 PM
 
Location: North Beach, MD on the Chesapeake
34,794 posts, read 44,303,984 times
Reputation: 44940
Mosquitoes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top