U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2017, 12:41 AM

1,287 posts, read 748,490 times

Advertisements

How about honey bees? Have they figured out what's wiping them out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2017, 06:07 AM

16,833 posts, read 14,765,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grega94 View Post
Maybe I'm mistaken, but from what I remember the Coyote used to be confined to the great plains and deserts, it was only when the wolves were exterminated throughout much of it's range that the coyote expanded and took over the continent, like wise I think the opossum has greatly expanded it's range and I don't think they are even native to the west coast. But either way I don't think it's necessarily a big issue, it's just nature trying to find a balance after all the damage we created.

https://simanaitissays.files.wordpre...oyoterange.jpg
http://mtnhp.org/thumbnail/defaultNo...g&maxWidth=600
1. Invasive and non-native are not the same thing. Even so you would be hard pressed to make the case that coyotes are even non-native. All range expansions are not species invasions. Additionally, without knowing where the source is or who made it, a wordpress website is hardly an authoritative source.

2. Even with opossum, introduced does not mean invasive. Invasive requires a species to spreading to such a degree after its introduction to be destructive to the habitat, the economy or human health. Is that the case with the opossum? I do not know one way or the other.

Old 10-19-2017, 10:13 AM

4,324 posts, read 2,588,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
1. Invasive and non-native are not the same thing. Even so you would be hard pressed to make the case that coyotes are even non-native. All range expansions are not species invasions. Additionally, without knowing where the source is or who made it, a wordpress website is hardly an authoritative source.

2. Even with opossum, introduced does not mean invasive. Invasive requires a species to spreading to such a degree after its introduction to be destructive to the habitat, the economy or human health. Is that the case with the opossum? I do not know one way or the other.
well you do have a point, I don't think the coyote and the opossum are necessarily invasive since it doesn't seem like they are displacing other species, but in either case they are non-native. But like I said earlier I'm not against them living in the west, it's just that these two would be the one of the few I would be sort of ok if they were reduced since they are not supposed to be here in the first place. However there are animals from the eastern US that are displacing native western animals such as the eastern grey squirrel displacing the western grey squirrel. Also an example of an animal that expanded it's range and then displacing it's native equivalent would be the Barred owl from the eastern US that travel along the Missouri river to the west and started displacing the Northern spotted owl of the pacific northwest which is now considered threatened. Or is the Barred owl native since it naturally expanded it's range?

Old 10-19-2017, 12:26 PM

18,099 posts, read 14,912,909 times
I do not want to see any reduced, and would like to see the US return a lot of animals back into their natural state in areas, like the roaming buffalo herds, and people who live in these areas accept the fact of life of living with them.

I lived in the middle of no where midwest town, and never understood the hype people got over simple damn deer, opossums, etc wondering onto their property, it is like what in the hell do you expect when you move into the middle of a field, they want everything like it is in the city, except the people and prices, lol.

When I lived in N. FL., people would freak when a black bear would come up, yet they have a million other places to live where there are no bears at all, so why in the hell do they choose a place with bears? Oh yes, low property prices and no people, then they just commute an hour to work. Idiots.

Old 10-19-2017, 01:21 PM

37,971 posts, read 27,373,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
Disappear: Mosquitoes.

Would be horrible for the food chain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
everything has an effect on everything else, when one becomes extinct, all the rest doesn't function well.
Pheasants yes, indeed....remember riding my horse thru fields and having them flush up...

what do you do, with all the ferral cats, and house cats that people leave outside to run wild. They kill more game, than anything?

I wouldn't allow outdoor cats, and I'd trap and eliminate outdoor feral colonies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post

True, native species can even be considered invasive at times.

Old 10-19-2017, 06:00 PM

16,833 posts, read 14,765,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post

True, native species can even be considered invasive at times.
Amen.

Phragmites....native and wildly invasive.

Old 10-20-2017, 03:23 PM

12,359 posts, read 3,784,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyMae521 View Post
I'm pretty sure the bats have "disappeared" most of the mosquitoes in my yard.

Yah, bats!
Lucky you. All summer long I was plagued with mosquito bites on my legs whenever I did yard work. Would love to see them go extinct. The bats can find something else to eat, no shortage of flies anyway.

Old 10-20-2017, 03:25 PM

12,359 posts, read 3,784,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Would be horrible for the food chain.
Mmm, I suspect the food chain would adjust.

Remember, passenger pigeons once comprised about a quarter of all birds in the eastern US, and American chestnuts were a major species in the Appalachians. When those two disappeared the food chain adjusted. Probably the same would happen with mosquitoes.

Old 10-20-2017, 08:15 PM

691 posts, read 654,185 times
More bats, can always use more bats. The wind turbines in Hawaii are killing more bats than were anticipated.

Less Tiger, Great White and Bull sharks, all the other sharks can stay as long as they restrict their diets to fish and plankton.

Old 10-20-2017, 09:42 PM

3,962 posts, read 1,738,954 times
More butterflies and honey bees and bring back all the frogs.

Fewer mosquitoes, flies, humans and most especially Canada geese.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature