Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2017, 08:55 AM

5,182 posts, read 5,250,973 times

Advertisements

1) Pheasant. Really miss these guys, the last one spotted was 30 years ago as it was hit by a car while crossing the road. I guess hunters and foxes have wiped them out. Miss their appearance and the male's truncated version of "****-a-doodle do."

2) White tails. Sorry Bambi-philes but they are just dangerous pests. Around here they have been responsible for a number of traffic mishaps including at least two human fatalities.

Males can act nutty, especially this time of year.

There was the time we heard a loud crash. A window downstairs was cracked and nearby was a deer walking like it was drunk. He obviously saw his reflection and didn't like it.

One who had a slight limp spent a lot a time under the deck. State authorities were not helpful when called. The biggest problem was that he harassed my late wife when she was in her flower garden. Growing bolder and he got increasingly closer each day. He'd make charges at her and then suddenly stop.

I was on the deck and he was directly below. I dropped a barbell plate but he was able to dodge it, but he got the message, spending the next few days down below by the pond, before wandering off.

About 40 years ago, I was looking over the fields when hearing a noise behind me. Turned and there was a large male charging. When he was about 20 yds. away, he suddenly veered left. Lucky me.

Late wife's niece lives in a crowded development on a cul-de-sac, in a heavily-populated DC suburb. Last place you'd expect deer trouble even though her street backs up to a small local park. None of the residents plant flowers or vegetables. Why go to the trouble when the deer eat damn near everything? Everyone just has grass in their yards.

Go away Bambi.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2017, 09:30 AM

2,221 posts, read 2,096,099 times
I miss the quails. How cute were they running across the road with all the kiddies following close behind.

Deer: I don't talk about. This time of year if you see less than 5 dead along a half mile stretch of road around here, it was a good day. Most of my gardens I start mowing down this time of year, just so they will move along to someone else's goody garden.

Old 10-07-2017, 10:25 AM

12,847 posts, read 9,050,725 times
Agree on quail and pheasant, though pheasant weren't really native. Would love to see expansion of the black bear population as well as fur bearers. And would love to see elk back in this area.

The deer have become a bit too numerous so I think they need to lengthen hunting season and bag limits. Would really love to see the coyotes gone because they are not native to this region. I understand cougars are coming back into the region slowly, but I'm not sure about them. The area, though rural, is too populated for cougars and humans to mix well.

Old 10-07-2017, 06:28 PM
KCZ

4,670 posts, read 3,665,713 times
Reappear:
Song birds of all kinds. I haven't heard a whip-poor-will in years.
Rabbits...I've seen a few this year after they disappeared for ~20 years. Love watching them.

Disappear:
Skunks...useless, nasty creatures.
Possums...not native to this area, don't know why we have them now.
The caterpillars that eat tree leaves...I don't know what they are, but they're very damaging.
Coyotes...see skunks.
Beavers...excessive property damage and increased tax bills for stream management.

I like deer but I don't want any more of them.

Old 10-11-2017, 12:17 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,957,550 times
On pheasant, well, they're introduced (non native), and mostly its loss of habitat. They're ground nesters, and loss of old fields and mowing of medians along road have zapped them. It most areas, it needs to be stocked. I don't care either way as they're non native.

More? Moose. Ruffed grouse. Woodcock. Most forest interior birds. Would like to see pine marten expand. Lots of native reptiles need help, timber rattlesnakes, wood turtles, etc.

Needs to disappear? Absolutely nothing, except maybe less humans in some places.

Old 10-11-2017, 01:55 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,872,521 times
Armadillos, possums - GET OFF MY LAWN!!!

Old 10-11-2017, 09:49 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,353,110 times
Possums are the tick's number one predator.

If you like blood sucking, disease carrying ticks all over you, your children, and your dog, get rid of your opossums.

Old 10-12-2017, 08:50 AM

4,899 posts, read 6,225,008 times
Possums are North America's only marsupial.
They do attract ticks however they eat a lot of them too.
https://www.ktbs.com/news/benefits-o...5c68d3efe.html

Since they are omnivores, they help keep rats, mice, cockroaches and other pests under control.
https://www.mnn.com/earth-matters/an...about-opossums

Old 10-12-2017, 09:31 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,957,550 times
Oh, more bats. Many many more bats. White nose syndrome has all but wiped out most cave dwelling bats in my region, and its expanding. Not good at all.

Old 10-12-2017, 09:52 AM

5,699 posts, read 4,928,100 times
I love wild animals so I don't want any of them reduced, maybe only if they are an invasive species such as coyotes and opossums, but otherwise would like to see more animals. One pleasant think I noticed that recently, ever since I have my day offs on weekdays and when I go to the forests they are completely empty of people and have been seeing a lot more wildlife, particularly ruffed grouse which prior to this I never actually saw, but I guess they all come out on the week days when the hoards of people are away, they just stand there on the edge of dirt roads like a bunch of dodos, don't even bother to move. Another native species I would like to see some day are porcupines, never seen them in the wild. Also would love to see more game birds, not just grouse but also turkeys and quails, I've seen quails run around in suburban areas from time to time, but would be cool to see them more often. Also would like to see more cetations in the Puget sound, particularly dolphins, I remember I once saw a large pod of dolphins jumping out of the water when boating, but that was a one time thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature