Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2017, 11:55 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,720,029 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Possums are the tick's number one predator.

If you like blood sucking, disease carrying ticks all over you, your children, and your dog, get rid of your opossums.
They (and the skunks another poster complained about) eat lawn grubs that do more damage than the holes they make getting to them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2017, 11:56 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,720,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grega94 View Post
I love wild animals so I don't want any of them reduced, maybe only if they are an invasive species such as coyotes and opossums, but otherwise would like to see more animals. One pleasant think I noticed that recently, ever since I have my day offs on weekdays and when I go to the forests they are completely empty of people and have been seeing a lot more wildlife, particularly ruffed grouse which prior to this I never actually saw, but I guess they all come out on the week days when the hoards of people are away, they just stand there on the edge of dirt roads like a bunch of dodos, don't even bother to move. Another native species I would like to see some day are porcupines, never seen them in the wild. Also would love to see more game birds, not just grouse but also turkeys and quails, I've seen quails run around in suburban areas from time to time, but would be cool to see them more often. Also would like to see more cetations in the Puget sound, particularly dolphins, I remember I once saw a large pod of dolphins jumping out of the water when boating, but that was a one time thing.
Why do you think Coyotes are an invasive species? Their native range is basically all of North America.

Old 10-12-2017, 12:31 PM

5,699 posts, read 4,919,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Why do you think Coyotes are an invasive species? Their native range is basically all of North America.
Maybe I'm mistaken, but from what I remember the Coyote used to be confined to the great plains and deserts, it was only when the wolves were exterminated throughout much of it's range that the coyote expanded and took over the continent, like wise I think the opossum has greatly expanded it's range and I don't think they are even native to the west coast. But either way I don't think it's necessarily a big issue, it's just nature trying to find a balance after all the damage we created.

https://simanaitissays.files.wordpre...oyoterange.jpg
http://mtnhp.org/thumbnail/defaultNo...g&maxWidth=600

Old 10-12-2017, 11:10 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,336,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grega94 View Post
Maybe I'm mistaken, but from what I remember the Coyote used to be confined to the great plains and deserts, it was only when the wolves were exterminated throughout much of it's range that the coyote expanded and took over the continent, like wise I think the opossum has greatly expanded it's range and I don't think they are even native to the west coast. But either way I don't think it's necessarily a big issue, it's just nature trying to find a balance after all the damage we created.

https://simanaitissays.files.wordpre...oyoterange.jpg
http://mtnhp.org/thumbnail/defaultNo...g&maxWidth=600
If an animal expands its range naturally, it is not invasive. However, opossums were introduced to the west coast by man, so that qualifies it as an invasive west of the Rockies.

Old 10-13-2017, 09:13 AM

5,699 posts, read 4,919,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
If an animal expands its range naturally, it is not invasive. However, opossums were introduced to the west coast by man, so that qualifies it as an invasive west of the Rockies.
If that's the case why are the marine life brought to the west coast from the Japanese tsunami considered invasive? And why don't environmentalists let them stay and propagate since they came here "naturally"

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle...apans-tsunami/

The reason why they are considered invasive is because they hitched a ride on man made objects such as docks and plastic objects that are able to make the trip across the ocean. Otherwise these Japanese species wouldn't have survived and that's why there are no native Japanese species as of yet. And the coyote wouldn't have "naturally" expanded it's range if humans didn't kill all the wolves.

Also there is an invasion of north pacific species into the north Atlantic via ice free arctic waters in the summer due to man made global warming.

https://beta.theglobeandmail.com/tec...beandmail.com&

but anyway since the coyote and opossum are already here I say let them stay, I don't think they are doing any serious damage, at least not on the scale of feral pigs in the south.

Old 10-16-2017, 11:45 AM

20,863 posts, read 9,515,083 times
Disappear: Mosquitoes.

Old 10-18-2017, 04:00 AM

5,428 posts, read 3,490,750 times
I’ll second the mosquitoes as the one species that needs to be wiped out.

I’d like to see most of the fauna that was wiped out by humans in the past 500 years come back.

Old 10-18-2017, 07:08 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,247,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
I’ll second the mosquitoes as the one species that needs to be wiped out.

I’d like to see most of the fauna that was wiped out by humans in the past 500 years come back.
Give wolves back their natural range and *protect them*. Do people not understand that nature was intended to work with a balance of predator and prey? Help out the other smaller species of canines who are in greater jeapordy.

What you get when you don't in way too many deer and other prey animals who over eat the available food. Predator animals also catch the slower, less healthy of prey herds which help keep them healthy and in good shape.

Now mosquitos.... make sure there's lots of those little creatures which find them delicious. I'd not say spray, but encourage whatever considers them a meal to gobble up all they can.

Old 10-18-2017, 07:27 AM

28,890 posts, read 30,251,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
On pheasant, well, they're introduced (non native), and mostly its loss of habitat. They're ground nesters, and loss of old fields and mowing of medians along road have zapped them. It most areas, it needs to be stocked. I don't care either way as they're non native.

More? Moose. Ruffed grouse. Woodcock. Most forest interior birds. Would like to see pine marten expand. Lots of native reptiles need help, timber rattlesnakes, wood turtles, etc.

Needs to disappear? Absolutely nothing, except maybe less humans in some places.
everything has an effect on everything else, when one becomes extinct, all the rest doesn't function well.
Pheasants yes, indeed....remember riding my horse thru fields and having them flush up...

what do you do, with all the ferral cats, and house cats that people leave outside to run wild. They kill more game, than anything?

Old 10-18-2017, 06:25 PM

1,556 posts, read 1,155,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
Disappear: Mosquitoes.

I'm pretty sure the bats have "disappeared" most of the mosquitoes in my yard.

Yah, bats!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature