U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2017, 04:41 AM

16,441 posts, read 13,543,340 times

Advertisements

Disastrous news!

New study suggests insect populations have declined by 75% over 3 decades - CNN
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2017, 07:33 PM

3,903 posts, read 1,713,329 times
Well, there has been no noticeable decline in ants, mosquitos, fleas, and chiggers in my yard, closely followed by crickets, beetles, the grubby gray things I don't know the name of, and spiders, spiders, spiders. I have massive grasshoppers and praying mantises and a wasp's nest. My neighbor asked if I had any bees - he has given up planting veg since there are no bees to pollinate them. There are - at my house. I don't use poison. I don't use weed killer in the lawn, I don't dust the tomatoes, nothing. The lawn is half clover and the clover is covered in bees all summer long.

In spite of which, I believe insect populations have to be declining the world over. They're being poisoned.

Old 10-24-2017, 07:53 AM

3,533 posts, read 1,375,363 times
The ladybugs here this time of year apparently didn't get the message. More fake news from that bunch at CNN.

The study was done in Germany. It's probably due to all the loss of habitat caused by their new windmill & PV installations.

Old 10-24-2017, 08:18 AM

2,322 posts, read 1,881,668 times
they have been catching bugs for 27 years .. maybe that`s why they have less bugs ..

Old 10-24-2017, 08:24 AM

121,042 posts, read 14,889,726 times
I know many people who have an insect hotel in the garden. Some are real big ones,some are smaller pending on the garden size. And it gives shelters to the insects.As well they planted special greenery and flowers for the insects.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Insect_hotel

I remember years ago we had a lot of shiny bugs in the garden,quite a few green praying mantis and lots of spiders. This year I have not seen any spiders or shiny bugs in my garden.Late September I noticed only for a few days a bumblebee and few bees flying around my cosmos flowers.Even flies are less. I was thinking maybe it had something to do with the odd weather we had this year.
On the other hand this was the worst year for ticks and mosquitoes.

We are thank goodness no longer allowed to use pesticides here but I am sure there are still other methods that kills bugs off.The insects don't have enough food to survive and they are so essential to agriculture and ecosystems. I see it here how fields or wooden areas are destroyed for putting up new houses for us humans to live in.Everything that was once nature is being slowly more and more destroyed so where should the insects live? If they come in our house we kill them,if they are on our patio we rid of them. I read and heard we are being encouraged to plant wildflowers for bees,butterflies,other insects to attract them either in our gardens,on a balcony,on a rooftop of a skyscraper.
It starts with one person encouraging another person to join and so on and on. We must make a difference or we see more and more a decline of insects in our natural surroundings.

Old 10-24-2017, 08:36 AM

350 posts, read 354,706 times
I remember one summer, in Miami, grasshoppers everywhere..I mean everywhere. I cannot remember now really seeing many but I live in the city so I am sure it's different in the country. People spray poison in their yards...spray from the planes...there's poison in the water, air, food...so it's no wonder we see birds dropping dead, bees dying off, insects, fish...I mean really...open your eyes

Old 10-24-2017, 05:35 PM

3,533 posts, read 1,375,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almrausch View Post
... I see it here how fields or wooden areas are destroyed for putting up new houses for us humans to live in.Everything that was once nature is being slowly more and more destroyed so where should the insects live? If they come in our house we kill them,if they are on our patio we rid of them....
Spot on.

Loss of habitat is far and away the number one problem for Mother Nature.

Old 10-24-2017, 07:03 PM

12,769 posts, read 32,853,952 times
Were not bugs the 1st thing they tried to sterilize?

Old 10-24-2017, 09:00 PM

10,422 posts, read 9,101,907 times
More fake news.

Old 10-24-2017, 09:48 PM

12,769 posts, read 32,853,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretzelogik View Post
More fake news.
NO Real News! https://www.upi.com/Archives/1989/08...7406620107200/

Note this was in 1980s Article was published in Aug. 26, 1989

Heres where you can Order for ALL kinds of Bugs! http://www.domyownpestcontrol.com/ro...s-c-2_349.html

Now they wonder Why there is a Reduction in Bug population!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or