U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2017, 05:43 PM

12,233 posts, read 3,726,888 times

Advertisements

Around KC, dead raccoons veritably litter the road. Followed by opossums. Then an occasional deer, skunk or squirrel.

It's really sad, I always feel sorry for these poor critters who don't know better and die a pretty awful death.

One time when I was living in a suburb of Seattle, I was walking back to my apartment from a bus stop at night and saw a raccoon lingering around one spot on a semi-busy road. When I walked a few steps closer I noticed it was hunched over a friend of his/hers that had just been hit by a car, it was still squirming a bit for a few seconds, but then it stopped. The poor little raccoon's friend had just been killed, it was a very sad sight to see and I started crying.

Several days later I saw another dead raccoon on the road just around the corner from where I saw the first one, and I wondered if it was the one I saw hovering over its dead friend.

There are so many raccoons killed on roads I wonder what kinds of effects this has on raccoon life cycles, and stuff. Some of these raccoons, especially in the spring and summer, are bound to be parents with babies somewhere. So what happens to the babies when its parent(s) get killed on a road? It's bound to happen a lot.

I know a lot of people consider raccoons to be pests but I can't help but feel sorry for them anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2017, 05:48 PM

12,233 posts, read 3,726,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grega94 View Post
In the Seattle area, I would say Raccoons and Opossums. I rarely see them alive (though that might have to do with their nocturnal habits) but constantly see them as road kill. Actually I've only seen an alive Opossum once, seeing roadkill is the only way I know that they exist in the area. Alive Raccoons I see more often, about a couple times a year, but still a pretty rare sight when compared to rabbits and squirrels. I actually rarely see rabbit road kill, and I don't see squirrels that often, especially considering their high population densities. Crows are probably the most aware of how roads operate. They are not scared of cars and will only move as much as they need too, often remaining on the edge of the road and then hop back to the middle once the cars pass by. I know that Coyotes live in the area, never seen one myself, but others have, and have heard their yelps and seen their tracks, but have never seen them as roadkill, so I think they are pretty good at crossing too.
One time when I was taking a bus from Issaquah to Seattle on I-90 just south of Lake Sammamish, I saw a nervous-looking coyote pacing back and forth along the freeway wanting to cross the road but afraid to do so, looking like it was waiting for a good spot to cross. I sure hope it eventually gave up.

Old 10-28-2017, 09:46 PM

18,629 posts, read 24,716,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
When I was in the Army in North Alabama, I pulled a patrol one night with a sergeant whose family liked stewed rabbit. Just before daybreak one Sunday morning, a rabbit scooted out on the road and we hit it. The sergeant told me to stop and he ran back and tossed it in the trunk. Now, he said, drive fast up and down this stretch of road and see how many more you can get. If you get five, that'll be enough for my family's dinner. So I did that and before long, we had five of them.
I think this is great. There was (and probably still is) a law where I lived in WA in the country, that said that you could not take a carcass from the road, for instance if you hit a deer, etc. What a horrible waste, I always thought.

Old 10-29-2017, 01:20 AM

193 posts, read 134,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
Around KC, dead raccoons veritably litter the road. Followed by opossums. Then an occasional deer, skunk or squirrel.

It's really sad, I always feel sorry for these poor critters who don't know better and die a pretty awful death.

One time when I was living in a suburb of Seattle, I was walking back to my apartment from a bus stop at night and saw a raccoon lingering around one spot on a semi-busy road. When I walked a few steps closer I noticed it was hunched over a friend of his/hers that had just been hit by a car, it was still squirming a bit for a few seconds, but then it stopped. The poor little raccoon's friend had just been killed, it was a very sad sight to see and I started crying.

Several days later I saw another dead raccoon on the road just around the corner from where I saw the first one, and I wondered if it was the one I saw hovering over its dead friend.

There are so many raccoons killed on roads I wonder what kinds of effects this has on raccoon life cycles, and stuff. Some of these raccoons, especially in the spring and summer, are bound to be parents with babies somewhere. So what happens to the babies when its parent(s) get killed on a road? It's bound to happen a lot.

I know a lot of people consider raccoons to be pests but I can't help but feel sorry for them anyway.
It was probably waiting to eat it's friend. :P

Old 10-29-2017, 10:03 AM

1,519 posts, read 768,631 times
The bison in Yellowstone, who block roads for hours.
Having nailed a few squirrels, I have found allowing them to avoid you is the best counter-measure.
Swerving to avoid is almost certain death for these rodents.

Old 10-29-2017, 11:24 AM

4 posts, read 1,396 times
armadillo & opossum

Old 10-29-2017, 12:13 PM

8,074 posts, read 9,648,024 times
Bighorn sheep. They're so stupid they just stand there.

Old 10-29-2017, 06:04 PM

3,233 posts, read 1,542,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
I think this is great. There was (and probably still is) a law where I lived in WA in the country, that said that you could not take a carcass from the road, for instance if you hit a deer, etc. What a horrible waste, I always thought.
I'm vegetarian myself but don't see why there should be an issue if someone wants to take a carcass to use for food. In Pennsylvania you can take a carcass as long as you report the incident within 24 hours to the PA Game Commission. It does seem kind of a waste since there are quite a few people who would probably be able to make use of the meat. Probably healthier for people anyhow since it's leaner and naturally grass-fed.

Old 10-31-2017, 11:01 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
31,703 posts, read 57,697,940 times
Here it's the opossums in the spring. We see so many dead in the road that it's become a local legend that it takes 3 opossums to mate - two to do the deed, and another to watch for cars.

Old 10-31-2017, 04:13 PM

15,299 posts, read 11,343,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
I haven't seen hardly any road kill around here. Only one snake in a whole year. Amazing because the feral dog and cat population is out of control. The other day there were 4 dogs and one cat snoozing in the middle of the dirt street. Maybe being feral equates with street smarts....?

No squirrels, foxes or raccoons nor deer, that I've seen. Even the free-range chickens seem to know to stay off the road, even though they venture quite close! :shocked:
You'd think they'd be the most common. Get it? Get it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or