U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2017, 03:13 PM

5,629 posts, read 4,289,359 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
I hope he will be okay, but I agree with those who say he had no business owning that snake. There are plenty of lovely serpents that make good pets. The whole story reeks of over-confidence and an unhealthy desire to impress others by owning a potentially deadly animal.
I soooo dislike hearing people say that keepers of venomous reptiles do so to "impress" others. That's not the case whatsoever. Usually it drives people away! They're not out to impress anyone. Its a desire to own them out of curiosity and fascination, even for their beauty. The downside is that there is always a risk of being bitten. People keep dangerous dog breeds (ie pits, rotts, etc) that are responsible for dozens of deaths each year, and no one seems to care about that! And those animals are free to roam the yards and neighborhoods as they choose.

A proper "hot" snake owner has a dedicated room for them with proper cages, handling equipment, emergency protocol in case of envenomation, and a list of numbers/hospitals/anti-venin at the ready, just in case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2017, 03:43 PM

11,911 posts, read 4,014,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
I soooo dislike hearing people say that keepers of venomous reptiles do so to "impress" others. That's not the case whatsoever. Usually it drives people away! They're not out to impress anyone. Its a desire to own them out of curiosity and fascination, even for their beauty. The downside is that there is always a risk of being bitten. People keep dangerous dog breeds (ie pits, rotts, etc) that are responsible for dozens of deaths each year, and no one seems to care about that! And those animals are free to roam the yards and neighborhoods as they choose.

A proper "hot" snake owner has a dedicated room for them with proper cages, handling equipment, emergency protocol in case of envenomation, and a list of numbers/hospitals/anti-venin at the ready, just in case.
I did not mean to imply that this is the case of all such owners, and am sorry if I left that impression.

I do, however, believe that there is a certain mindset that enjoys the cachet of owning certain animals as status symbols. As for the dog breeds you have mentioned, you are way off base in saying that no one cares. They are only a couple of breeds on a long list that are forbidden in some communities, and make it very difficult to purchase liability insurance from most companies. I also have no patience with people who allow any dog to run loose, unless they live on a ranch and have the dog to protect their livestock.

Did you look at the pictures that accompanied those stories? One shows him using a hook to handle a snake. It seems to me that if a snake is dangerous enough to require a hook to move it, it might be a good idea to wear clothing that provides a bit more protection than a tank top.

I am sure there are people who have the expertise to own such animals and who take the risks seriously. I'm just not convinced that this particular young man is one of them.

Old 11-28-2017, 06:13 AM

16,719 posts, read 15,513,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
They're not out to impress anyone.
If this were the case, the kid wouldn't have plastered his photos and videos all over the place.

Old 11-28-2017, 09:38 AM

5,629 posts, read 4,289,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
If this were the case, the kid wouldn't have plastered his photos and videos all over the place.
He's sharing his passion with the world. Doesn't mean he's trying to impress anyone. The vast majority of the world is utterly turned off by snakes, ophidiophobia is a very real thing. Like Steve Irwin, he's probably just showing his love for venomous creatures, as do I. I could care less what anyone thinks of me.

Old 11-28-2017, 04:16 PM
KCZ

2,172 posts, read 1,225,475 times
He's recovered from his bite and plans to continue keeping snakes, including that one.
Aussie Reptile Lover Recovers From Inland Taipan Snake Bite

Old 11-28-2017, 07:11 PM

12,916 posts, read 5,940,548 times
The correct title of this thread should be "Adult bitten by his pet venomous snake fights for his life". That would be much more accurate.

Old 11-28-2017, 09:12 PM

103 posts, read 56,691 times
No matter how many snakes he has or has handled, I don't believe a teen qualifies as a herpetologist. I'm glad he's recovering but he's a great example of why venomous snakes don't belong in teenage hands.

Old 11-28-2017, 09:31 PM

15,139 posts, read 12,267,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryMeriMarry View Post
No matter how many snakes he has or has handled, I don't believe a teen qualifies as a herpetologist. I'm glad he's recovering but he's a great example of why venomous snakes don't belong in teenage hands.

Keeping venomous snakes is most often associated with medical research of some kind or another. Keeping any venomous critter just for the sake of having it is rather rare. I can't imagine what the fascination is with keeping such animals as pets.

I also do not particularly care for dogs like Pits and Rotts. Though what is being called a "Pitbull" is more often than not some junkyard, back yard "breeders mongrel mixture and not a true Pit. You know the type. They live vicariously through these Frankenbreed dogs that they feed gunpowder in raw meat to so that their dog is just TOO bad azz.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature