Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2017, 02:01 PM

15,534 posts, read 15,551,422 times

Advertisements

Smuggled, Beaten and Drugged: The Illicit Global Ape Trade
International ape smugglers from Congolese rain forests to the back streets of Bangkok

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/04/w...rangutans.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2017, 12:55 PM

18,151 posts, read 15,576,374 times
Wow. I couldn't believe some of what I read in there. Plumb off the chain stuff. A shaved female orangutan being used in a brothel??!! Just disgusting. Yea, this needs a stop put to it. But unfortunately, the area where these apes live are VERY remote and the people who live there have zero incentive to stop killing and capturing them.

Theirs is a quite primitive life. Anything goes. They neither understand nor care about what this is doing to the apes. If they actually knew the vast amounts of money the market for the apes commands they would hunt them to extinction in short order.

They're selling a live infant for 10 bucks and it could bring six figures. That's a staggering profit margin. More than drugs. Thanks for posting this. I wish I had read it sooner.

Old 11-15-2017, 04:44 AM

7,181 posts, read 5,033,283 times
It's hard to blame the suppliers. They live meager lives and need the income.

It's the buyers who no doubt have a special place in Hell reserved for themselves. Notice where the major market is located. I wonder if, after eight yrs of negotiation, the TPP covered this?

Disgusting.

Old 11-15-2017, 05:24 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,771,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
It's hard to blame the suppliers. They live meager lives and need the income.

It's the buyers who no doubt have a special place in Hell reserved for themselves. Notice where the major market is located. I wonder if, after eight yrs of negotiation, the TPP covered this?

Disgusting.

Baloney. The same thing happens with elephants--betrayed by the natives who live among them.

These countries are filled with people who manage to eke out a living in other ways. When it comes to this odious practice, there's a special place in hell for the buyers and the providers.

Old 11-15-2017, 06:04 AM

18,151 posts, read 15,576,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
Baloney. The same thing happens with elephants--betrayed by the natives who live among them.

These countries are filled with people who manage to eke out a living in other ways. When it comes to this odious practice, there's a special place in hell for the buyers and the providers.

I tend to agree. Poaching is poaching and I HATE poachers. Their bad here in the US, but in African nations they are just disgusting in their methods. Elephants, rhinos, gazelle, wildebeast, they push into close areas and then hose them down with AKs. A storm of low powered slugs that does not kill quickly. Wire snares, spike pits, it's a war on wildlife.

One African nation used to have a system with the bush people to help manage the wildlife and stop poaching. They paid them gave them food and medical care, educated their children even armed them in trade for helping handle the poachers. It worked. Very well.

I watched a good documentary on this (it's been a while) about this nation and a neighboring one, they had interviews with the people in the bush villages and with game officers from these villages. I remember one well. He was a 6'5 plumb badass.

There was one method of dealing with poachers and he exemplified it. Kill on sight. His English was passable, and when they asked him about his job he just gave a big smile, nodded and said, "Yes, I like killing poachers."

Unfortunately African nations change governments ...rather frequently and unexpectedly, so these programs have stopped and the poachers are dancing. And back to slaughtering wholesale and cutting off heads in the bush villages if they won't spill where the animals are. The new governments weren't interested a bit in their wildlife and are probably getting a cut of the proceeds from poaching. Power and money are all that matters.

And the animals suffer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature