U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2017, 07:07 PM

31,722 posts, read 49,228,413 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
I heartily concur. Bed bug are THE worst parasite extant. They were just about gone from the US but huge influx of immigrants from places they are commonplace have brought them new life. I had an infestation in a place I was living a couple years ago.

I tried everything, no joy. I finally burned my mattress, pulled the frame outside and washed it, power vacced every nook an cranny, and finally got rid of them. They were so bad I couldn't even sit down on the bed at any time of day without them popping up out of everywhere to get at me. It was SO nasty even to just think about what might happen trying to sleep on the bed.

Yes. They are evil and must die.
Las Vegas hotels because of their world-wide clientel also have big issues with bed bug infestations
And those aren't poor migrants either...

Normal pesticides don't kill them
They can be dormant for months and then only come out when they need to feed

Anyone with bedbugs has a BIG problem and needs professional help
I don't know if diatomaceous earth works as well on bedbugs as it does other crawlies but you might Google
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2017, 09:23 PM

15,178 posts, read 12,303,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legion777 View Post
M.E. & African immigrants such as the Sudanese & Somali have also brought back other wonderful things (apart from violent crime) like whooping cough, TB & introduced some very nasty things like a bacteria that ravages the skin. Off-course MSM completely ignores these issues.

I can't even imagine what it would be like for my home to be infested with dirty things that feast upon ones blood at night. It'd be a nightmare especially if one has kids at home. It was upsetting enough when my boy would come from his mothers covered in mosquito bites.

Thing bout bed bugs is they don't care a whit how clean you keep your home. They don't discriminate. I can't even begin to know where the problem I had came from. I hadn't been anywhere and nobody had been to my house. They just showed up.

After I saw the first one it seemed like they came in battalions. I drug my mattress out an set it on fire and went to town with the power vac and pressure washer, everything that could be washed got washed in hot water and what couldn't went in the fire.

Solved the problem, but I swear I didn't know that many bugs could hide in a mattress. They are the nastiest things. And they are back in business along with all the other things you mentioned plus a few more we really don't need.

Old 11-21-2017, 09:36 PM

1,139 posts, read 736,159 times
Bedbugregistrydotcom.
I check it before checking into a hotel. Its fun to read the actual personal reports.
Big dough chains like Hyatt, Hilton,Sofitel have 'em.
Also don.t buy thrift shop items or go into dirty stores-can bring a hitchhiker into tthe house.

Old 11-21-2017, 10:11 PM

3,297 posts, read 1,277,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Thing bout bed bugs is they don't care a whit how clean you keep your home. They don't discriminate. I can't even begin to know where the problem I had came from. I hadn't been anywhere and nobody had been to my house. They just showed up.

After I saw the first one it seemed like they came in battalions. I drug my mattress out an set it on fire and went to town with the power vac and pressure washer, everything that could be washed got washed in hot water and what couldn't went in the fire.

Solved the problem, but I swear I didn't know that many bugs could hide in a mattress. They are the nastiest things. And they are back in business along with all the other things you mentioned plus a few more we really don't need.
That's the problem. Mosquitoes are a nuisance as well, but they usually don't operate in packs. These bastards seem to be able to hide almost anywhere and survive without feeding for extended periods of time. I dread to think of what would happen if they develop the ability to fly in the future. I'm not even sure what makes them show up in the first place.

Old 11-21-2017, 10:17 PM

18,099 posts, read 14,896,460 times
I assisted a friend getting rid of bed bugs. It has been a few years and no sign of them. How we did it briefly;

-vacuumed every day.
-once a week took the mattress off the bed, took out drawers, etc,basically disassembled a lot of things. He had all Ikea
furniture, so it helped a whole lot.
-Sprayed some insecticide for bed bugs purchased at Home Depot on all the little spaces.
-No point on getting a new mattress, so got some mattress cover thing that the bugs cannot get through.
-Place the bed posts in these little plastic things where the bugs cannot come or leave the bed.
-washed all clothes, stored in separate room to use until the drawers were deemed "cleared".

The number one effective thing was the diatomaceous earth. Placed down in the bed area the mattress was on, along the border of the box spring, in areas in drawers, and along the border of the wall and carpet. This stuff does not kill them instantly, but a slow, drying out process, but it works, and eventually the cycle is broken where they do not produce anymore. I think it took about four months before he never saw one again, it was a quick maybe couple of weeks before it was very difficult to even find one. But before the four month point where he never saw one, it was maybe a month since he saw one.

Old 11-22-2017, 12:12 AM

2,471 posts, read 1,767,878 times
Oh I had this nasty thing in my house last year after a trip to Bahamas. It still gives me nightmares. I got rid of my mattress.bagged all my clothes and dried them.spread dimethacone on every corner while I slept in middle of floor as bait for month lowering bed bugs in while my floor bed was surrounded by dimethacone .

I hate them with passion but they taught me one thing: the value of not having possession. I got rid of lot of things because taking the to dryer wasn't worth it. And I wish I had even lesss because then it's less place to hide.

I use mattresses bag and pillow bag. That seem to help

Old 11-22-2017, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keraT View Post
Oh I had this nasty thing in my house last year after a trip to Bahamas. It still gives me nightmares. I got rid of my mattress.bagged all my clothes and dried them.spread dimethacone on every corner while I slept in middle of floor as bait for month lowering bed bugs in while my floor bed was surrounded by dimethacone .

I hate them with passion but they taught me one thing: the value of not having possession. I got rid of lot of things because taking the to dryer wasn't worth it. And I wish I had even lesss because then it's less place to hide.

I use mattresses bag and pillow bag. That seem to help

I watched one of the little nasties before I burned my mattress. It skittered when it figured out I was awake and just vanished into the seam. Grrrr.

Old 11-22-2017, 07:46 AM

788 posts, read 346,580 times
They're a huge problem. Been there before and hopefully will never have that again. Not only they attack you physically, but mentally as well.

We dumped the mattresses, also cleaned everything. Put it into shed. Bought some powerful spray. Use about 2 oz per gallon. Stinks. Urgh! We sprayed everything, everywhere. Ceiling, cracks...No place went unsprayed. Sprayed twice too. Also cleaned everything again as we put it all back in the house. Also sprayed those items. Curtains... it was like a new place.

When we bought new mattresses, we left the plastic on them. Also taped up the holes and creases. Just to make sure no creepy crawlies would infest again.

So far, knocking on wood, we've had no problems with those lil nightmares.

Good luck to you guys dealing with them.

Old 11-22-2017, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ddhanks View Post
They're a huge problem. Been there before and hopefully will never have that again. Not only they attack you physically, but mentally as well.

We dumped the mattresses, also cleaned everything. Put it into shed. Bought some powerful spray. Use about 2 oz per gallon. Stinks. Urgh! We sprayed everything, everywhere. Ceiling, cracks...No place went unsprayed. Sprayed twice too. Also cleaned everything again as we put it all back in the house. Also sprayed those items. Curtains... it was like a new place.

When we bought new mattresses, we left the plastic on them. Also taped up the holes and creases. Just to make sure no creepy crawlies would infest again.

So far, knocking on wood, we've had no problems with those lil nightmares.

Good luck to you guys dealing with them.

In my whole life I had never seen a bed bug until the recent problem. They were just part of a children's bedtime rhyme. "Don't let the bed bugs bite." They really need to go back into obscurity. One experience was enough for me. I can't believe there are places where people just live with these things.

Old 11-22-2017, 10:40 AM

3,244 posts, read 1,553,206 times
Ugh. I agree with you 100% on this.

We think that we are (fingers crossed) through a bed bug issue that we had.

We are still paranoid and check the bed every time before getting into it, even though the issue didn't start in our bed.

We used daily vacuuming, that Hot Shot stuff from Wal-Mart/Home Depot to get rid of them. We also encased the chair and the mattress they originated from. So frustrating

The bugs came from a family friend who has moved in with us and brought them up with her. Lovely.

I feel sorry for anybody having to deal with getting rid of these little fVckers....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or